What I did today -instead- of Rocketry.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I finished Liftoff, a book about the early history of SpaceX by Berger. It was a good read, detailing the difficulty of getting the Falcon 1 to orbit. I enjoyed it, but then again I never tire from watching Falcon 9 launches.

All that said, I love my macropods...
Wait a minute, macropods? But bigfoot is a humanoid creature from North Amerca. :)
and wild kangaroo is certainly more environmentally friendly and sustainable than beef.
I was reading recently about the environmental impact of beef production. I had heard it's bad, but it's actually really bad compared to other food animals. I love lamb (would like to try mutton) which apparently is just as bad on greenhouse gas emissions, but better on every other category listed. Pork, chicken, fish, and shellfish are all a bunch better on nearly every category shown (though seafood farming can mean dumping drugs into the water). I think I'll be reducing my beef consumption in favor of those other animals. And maybe I'll take up venison consumption; it seems like you can't get it unless you hunt it yourself, and I may just have to start. Also there are a few butchers around here where one can get rabbit; I don't know about the environmental impact of rabbit farming. I don't think I'll be eliminating beef completely; I do love a good steak, and would miss having it now and then.

Wait a minute, macropods? But bigfoot is a humanoid creature from North Amerca. :)I was reading recently about the environmental impact of beef production. I had heard it's bad, but it's actually really bad compared to other food animals. I love lamb (would like to try mutton) which apparently is just as bad on greenhouse gas emissions, but better on every other category listed. Pork, chicken, fish, and shellfish are all a bunch better on nearly every category shown (though seafood farming can mean dumping drugs into the water). I think I'll be reducing my beef consumption in favor of those other animals. And maybe I'll take up venison consumption; it seems like you can't get it unless you hunt it yourself, and I may just have to start. Also there are a few butchers around here where one can get rabbit; I don't know about the environmental impact of rabbit farming. I don't think I'll be eliminating beef completely; I do love a good steak, and would miss having it now and then.

apparently half of Brazil's decimation the rain forest is to make way for beef production..

rabbits have apparently little to no nutritional value (A cook told me that.. you can eat rabbit every day, you'll eventually starve..)

Joe, i highly recommend watching this:
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8399690/

For Fish, watch the NetFlix show Seaspiracy. Fishing has a much bigger impact on non-target animals (aka by-catch) than most people realize. Sharks, dolphin, whales, etc. are greatly impacted by the fishing industry.

If you know the right places to shop, you can get less common sources of protein. There is a shop near me for venison, bison, rabbit, etc. And rabbit needs some other source of fat with it (commonly bacon) since it is so lean. Without that secondary source of fat, you'll get protein poisoning. Hasenpfeffer is good stuff if made correctly. Bison is a good alternative for beef. Leaner, tastier and less environmental impact.

I've never had kangaroo but I'd love to try it. Anything that is ethically and sustainably harvested is a good thing. Let nature handle things normally but if nature needs a helping hand to off-set what we've done, we can help right the balances. Key is to stop when it gets back to the levels that allow nature to handle it again.

There is a butcher in town (but I don't go downtown for various reasons I've posted recently) who has a lot of 'game meat'.. meat pies too!! and sausages! and...

There was a place in Kingston Ont that served Emu burgers, from a local Emu farm..

https://www.lvgf.ca/

rabbits have apparently little to no nutritional value (A cook told me that.. you can eat rabbit every day, you'll eventually starve..)
That's hard to believe, and a cook is not necessarily an authoritative source. It can be missing essential nutrients, i.e. fats and maybe others, but one mammal's meat is mostly like another: digestible protein.

Fishing has a much bigger impact on non-target animals (aka by-catch) than most people realize. Sharks, dolphin, whales, etc. are greatly impacted by the fishing industry.
Yes, I understand about by-catch. Which (unless I'm mistaken) is much less of a problem with fish farming than with wild catch, but then farming has it's own problems, as I noted.

Let's hear it for pigs and chickens. (And ducks. Yum.)

That's hard to believe, and a cook is not necessarily an authoritative source. It can be missing essential nutrients, i.e. fats and maybe others, but one mammal's meat is mostly like another: digestible protein.
yeah that's what I thought too.. but he was rater insistent.. (and maybe that's another reason we're no longer friends..)

For Fish, watch the NetFlix show Seaspiracy. Fishing has a much bigger impact on non-target animals (aka by-catch) than most people realize. Sharks, dolphin, whales, etc. are greatly impacted by the fishing industry.
Yes, I understand about by-catch. Which (unless I'm mistaken) is much less of a problem with fish farming than with wild catch, but then farming has it's own problems, as I noted.

The bycatch and other environmental impacts are heavily dependent on the species and the way that the fish are caught. For example, trawl-caught pollock is pretty clean, but trawl-caught flounder can be a hot mess. There's just a lot more fish right on the bottom. The Monterey Bay Aquarium ratings (https://www.seafoodwatch.org/) are pretty decent, though imperfect. The place where seafood is caught is also really important. Alaska salmon are in much better shape as a fishery than Western Lower 48 salmon, for example.

Fish farming is its own hot mess. Except for catfish, most farmed fish are fed fishmeal, which means that they're catching 5 lbs of anchovies for every pound of salmon produced. That has some pretty big impacts down the food chain. Shallow water farm pens (which is most of them) also have a bunch of disease vector problems where they can spread diseases to wild fish.

Finally, take into account labeling. Every time a consumer protection group goes out with DNA testing, they find 25%-75% of fish mislabeled, virtually all to a more expensive species. 🧐

About 50%-75% of my engineering work is on fishing boats (in fact, I was on one an hour ago!), so also feel free to take this with a grain of salt.

It is true that rabbit is not a *complete* food in and of itself. Very, very few foods are.** Most meats contain complete protein, that is, all the amino acids a human needs, including the essential ones that our bodies can't make. But most meats are lacking in any number of essential nutrients.

Best -- Terry
**Don't know if it's true but long ago I read that there is one particular material that is about as complete a food as it is possible to have. Moreover, it's readily available and easy to prepare. Unfortunately, most people are unlikely to want blood, whether raw or cooked, as a sole nutrient... :eek:

It is true that rabbit is not a *complete* food in and of itself. Very, very few foods are.** Most meats contain complete protein, that is, all the amino acids a human needs, including the essential ones that our bodies can't make. But most meats are lacking in any number of essential nutrients.

Best -- Terry
**Don't know if it's true but long ago I read that there is one particular material that is about as complete a food as it is possible to have. Moreover, it's readily available and easy to prepare. Unfortunately, most people are unlikely to want blood, whether raw or cooked, as a sole nutrient... :eek:

Not me, but there are lots of Brits who are down for black pudding. And Germans who love their blood sausage.

That's hard to believe, and a cook is not necessarily an authoritative source. It can be missing essential nutrients, i.e. fats and maybe others, but one mammal's meat is mostly like another: digestible protein. [End Quote about rabbits having no nutrition]

Rabbit starvation is a known issue in the harsh north. Rabbit is very lean and humans need fats and amino acids to utilize protein. Other animals in the north will have the same effect after a hard winter. This chart may show the fat content of domesticated rabbit but you seldom see that much fat on a wild one.

1618373174738.png

I followed the link. This alone makes this entire thread worthwhile:
Rejection of the yowie in favour of the yahoo

Not me, but there are lots of Brits who are down for black pudding. And Germans who love their blood sausage.
Well sure, and there's also Klingon blood wine. (That's real, isn't it?) But those aren't blood as sole sources.

When I was a teen, I heard that a family friend, a professor at Rutgers, was doing research as to what food, if a person had to subsist on only a single thing, would be the most effective and complete. I thought "Hmm, at a basic chemical level, all vertebrates are made of the same stuff. Proteins, fats, assorted minerals, etc. And everything that's going to become a chick has to be inside the egg. So eggs seems like a reasonable guess." I was surprised when his research was complete to find that I was right. But then, his study probably only included things that are normally considered food by westerners, so not blood.

Can't argue with going on site when you have a view like this leaving the facility!
IMG_3220.JPG

Also took a walk out to the bluff near our house today at lunchtime. There's a street out there with 75+ year old cherry trees that all bloom at the same time.
IMG_3221.JPG IMG_3222.JPG

Can't argue with going on site when you have a view like this leaving the facility!
View attachment 460090

Also took a walk out to the bluff near our house today at lunchtime. There's a street out there with 75+ year old cherry trees that all bloom at the same time.
View attachment 460091 View attachment 460092
Mt Rainer? Baker? Glacier?
Puget sound?

I miss the yearly accidents in Vancouver (BC) from people who slip & slide on the dropped cherry blossom petals. They are pretty, but they do make a mess! :D

Mt Rainer? Baker? Glacier?
Puget sound?

I miss the yearly accidents in Vancouver (BC) from people who slip & slide on the dropped cherry blossom petals. They are pretty, but they do make a mess! :D

The first one is Mt. Rainier seen from the Tacoma waterfront. Note that the dirst I'm standing on there used to be right where that shadow is on the left side of the mountain. The second one is Puget Sound in the foreground with the Olympics in the background. The Brothers are a bit left of center and Mt. Constance is a bit right of center.

20210415_085416.jpg
See this unawesomness! I'm not the dump truck driver but I am the electrician. Luckily he didn't damage the ammonia lines (they are sagging in the picture) or there would have been at least one dead person. He did destroy about 12 pipes with various control and power wires, killed the logix units, and shut down the entire freezer building.

@kenstarr Why is it always dump truck drivers? don't they have an indicator in their cab that the bed us up? (or at least look out the back window?!)

@teepot One of my memorable memories of 'Vegas is driving the while length of Vegas Blvd.. It was Sunday, after a trade show, and my plane was leaving last that afternoon. I had the car, but no more hotel room. I drove out to Jean lake for a launch, but it was scrubbed due to winds. I then turned around, and drove.. Stopped at the Vegas sign (it is small!) and drove the strip.. The entire length & past. All the way to the other side, to about 1/2hr into the dessert.. I then turned around to make my flight.. Once you pass the 'the strip', Vegas is like any other town..

A bit of wet snow this morning. To our friends in Oz, is anyone in the far south? How's the weather there in the Fall? We might be having snow at the same time.

I had only a small part in it, but we made two batches of bagels today. One everything and one julekake (Scandinavian bread with cardamom and chopped dried fruit).

Went into Vegas again today. I had a Cardiology appt. I passed the stress test. Next is a CT of my coronary arteries. But tomorrow is launch day so I won't mind the trip.

Started moving this morning. Then off to work. Still have a lot of packing and moving ahead. Tomorrow the order in which I do that again is going to be switched. Work, then when I get off, moving.

Attachments

• 6D2CB4DB-FF06-4B7C-B846-350A1B40AF5C.jpeg
    6D2CB4DB-FF06-4B7C-B846-350A1B40AF5C.jpeg
    93.3 KB · Views: 11
  • 92AE0AB9-F1D7-48B8-8D8F-11EC7C868A08.jpeg
    92AE0AB9-F1D7-48B8-8D8F-11EC7C868A08.jpeg
    189.7 KB · Views: 11
  • 956C2D24-D6F0-40F8-B8D7-CC8D47591BD6.jpeg
    956C2D24-D6F0-40F8-B8D7-CC8D47591BD6.jpeg
    176.1 KB · Views: 11
Back