What I did today -instead- of Rocketry.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think on the Australia scale it means you live at least 15 min, as opposed to normal venomous (die in <2 min) or highly venomous (die when it looks at you).

It means you will get sick and it will hurt like Hell but you're unlikely to die unless old, infirm or a tourist.

I think on the Australia scale it means you live at least 15 min, as opposed to normal venomous (die in <2 min) or highly venomous (die when it looks at you).
The highly venomous snakes are the ones who can slither away really, really fast so that your body doesn't fall on them right after they bite. :D

Nope, still sitting on the couch.
I did finally get off the couch yesterday. Went out for some errands, including the accquision of a two gallon gas can, Stay-bil, two cye oil, and chain and bar oil. We got the chain saw running after a few years of inactivity, which wend much more easily than it might have, then cut up a couple of fallen trees. One of them had taken out a couple of fence rails. Hauling the wood to the wood shed and fixing the fence will wait a little while, as the pair of middle aged obese men had had enough after the cutting.

Today I god Pfizered for the first time.

Took boxes to the storage shed, then went to HRO (http://www.hamradio.com) to pick up a new Comet UHV-4 and a Lido LM-300 for the mobile installation in Der Red Maxine, my Ram 1500. After the rain stopped, I actually got outside and installed everything. Tested it out and I can hit the Stone Mountain repeater (W4BOC, located on top of Stone Mountain) from my driveway in Covington.
20210410_194319.jpg20210410_194459.jpg20210410_194518.jpg

Dispensed with a long-procrastinated project: breaking down the box and packaging from a chair we got for my daughter's bedroom a few months ago. Completely filled a 30-gallon trash bag with the styrofoam, and left my hands (and a chunk of my basement) like this:
styrofoam.jpeg
After many minutes of work with the shop-vac everything was cleaned up.

IMHO companies that use that much styrofoam show contempt for their customers (to say nothing of the environment.) I find it infuriating.

Last edited:
IMHO companies that use that much styrofoam show contempt for their customers (much less the environment.) I find it infuriating.
Yes, but were the parts for your daughter's chair undamaged? 😁
I keep styrofoam peanuts and packing material and use them for making home made sanding sealer instead of sending them to the landfill. It's 99% air so a huge volume of it melts down into a bottle of MEK.
Think liquid plastic.

Yes, but were the parts for your daughter's chair undamaged? 😁
I keep styrofoam peanuts and packing material and use them for making home made sanding sealer instead of sending them to the landfill. It's 99% air so a huge volume of it melts down into a bottle of MEK.
Think liquid plastic.
These were huge sheets, not useful in their original form. Breaking them down is a mess.

Yes the chair was undamaged, but it was not that delicate and could have easily been packaged using other kinds of padding.

Dispensed with a long-procrastinated project: breaking down the box and packaging from a chair we got for my daughter's bedroom a few months ago. Completely filled a 30-gallon trash bag with the styrofoam, and left my hands (and a chunk of my basement) like this:
View attachment 459468

IMHO companies that use that much styrofoam show contempt for their customers (to say nothing of the environment.) I find it infuriating.

When I got my black Friday Madcow order, it came in a very large box, full of packing peanuts.. It was a snowy winter's day when it arrived. I was somewhat tempted to just "open teh box" and let nature do its thing. And who would know.. Winters her a rea always snow.. we had about 18" of snow on the ground.. who would notice white bits or Styrofoam blowing around.. (I did give it to my dad, for his company's use..)

I'm actually quite proud of myself..

I cut down a long-overdue shrub that was pushing 'tree' status, and was really an eyesore.

I then proceeded to box up our front porch with old fence slats, something I had planed to do for a while now. (and it is no more an ugly open dirt pit..) It felt good to do soemthing constructive!

I then ran down a battery in my R/C car.. then BBQ'd dinner, and then walked the dog. We are now, once again, under an 8pm - 5am Covid curfew. quiet dog walks while watching Orion set in the west, and Leo pass overhead..

Installed a couple plant hanger hooks by our front door for the wife and took nap (I work nights, so on the weekends my sleep schedule is a mess).

Out of my shoulder surgery. All went well apparently 🙂. Hanging out for food now as I have been fasting for over 11 hours.
Great news!

What are you waiting / hoping for? Hospital food? or something more, uhm, palatable?

And what is typical "Australian" cuisine? (I assume a mash-up of typical western [US, UK, CAN, FR, etc..] foods & drink..)

Ham and cheese sandwich, cake, two choc bars. That will do for now, till breakfast.

Zero pain and zero nausea so far. Let's see what happens when the arm block wears off around four hours from now. Oxycodone standing by...

In 2001 when I had my last reco there was zero pain from when I woke up. Just none. Amazing. I have the same surgeon today.

Now pondering rocket tracking stuff before going to sleep. :)

Remind me of a joke that says Canada has the best of American culture, English cuisine, and French technology.
Quebec is one better:
French Cuisine & French technology! (And French culture.. both good & bad..)

Although we did come up with "Poutine" and "Sugar pie"

View attachment 459468

Our full scale V2 was Styrofoam, shaped and then covered with a vinyl wrap. Six years later the building where that was assembled is still foam-infested.

Great news!

What are you waiting / hoping for? Hospital food? or something more, uhm, palatable?

And what is typical "Australian" cuisine? (I assume a mash-up of typical western [US, UK, CAN, FR, etc..] foods & drink..)
Melbourne is the cuisine capital of Oz. Very international. Whatever you want, even great French food! We are lucky to live here as we enjoy the food quality and variety.

I mowed the lawn for the first time this Spring. I also spent part of my "day off" doing some work from home.

In the 60s it was the Great British Stodge and Cantonese take-away masquerading as Chinese food. Things have improved a lot.

Google "Bush Tucker" and you'll find some amazing foods enjoyed by the indigenous people of Oz long before us newbies got here.

Kangaroo has become very popular as steaks, diced meat and sausages. Ten years ago it was pet food.

Lots of plants, many of which we are growing on the farm here, are fantastic both in flavour and medicinal qualities.

Here's a sample recipe collection.

https://www.teaandbelle.com/single-post/2017/07/26/indigenous-bush-tucker-recipes

Kangaroo has become very popular as steaks, diced meat and sausages. Ten years ago it was pet food.

I actually had Kangaroo Jerky about 25 years ago. There was a college student from Australia who attended the same church I did in high school. He talked about hunting kangaroos like we hunt deer and I think some people were a little shocked. He had a hat and mittens he made from their fur and brought some jerky for us to try.

I actually had Kangaroo Jerky about 25 years ago. There was a college student from Australia who attended the same church I did in high school. He talked about hunting kangaroos like we hunt deer and I think some people were a little shocked. He had a hat and mittens he made from their fur and brought some jerky for us to try.

People are concerned sometimes about killing and eating one of our national symbols, but in many areas of Oz large kangaroos reach plague proportions.

Ten + years ago I had a shooting buddy who made a living at one stage shooting kangaroos from a helicopter during a plague. One round; one kill. His daily best was in the low 600s. That's a lot of wasted protein...

A nice lean red meat, higher in B group vitamins than beef and, importantly, commercially harvested kangaroo has led an organic, free-range life. Cooks in seconds. Tastes fantastic.

All that said, I love my macropods hopping around the garden more than sitting on a plate, but I understand the need for harvesting and wild kangaroo is certainly more environmentally friendly and sustainable than beef.

Back