What I did today -instead- of Rocketry.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another gripe I'll add, is that when I try to look up something, how to do something, to learn an aspect of computer life I:
  • Will do a search in Google. The results may or may not be exactly what I'm after
  • Will then need to weed thru the results. Some of which are just weird
  • Then take time to start reading the text / article
  • Go thru the motions of clicking off the 'allow user location', 'subscribe to our news letter', ' allow cookies', and a few other pop ups that litter the page..
  • I then have to try & focus on the article itself, in which AdSense tosses flashy & bouncy & animated ads throughout & around the body of text I'm trying to read (major distractions!)
  • Resize the page to reduce the banner ads & crap
  • Then realize the article doesn't quite address my inquiry..
  • Go back to step one..
  • Repeat..
so, seriously, why bother.. Its just a mash of ads & crap & info I find hard to digest..

Will do a search in Google. The results may or may not be exactly what I'm after

It seems that Google is prioritizing search results to their paid advertisers, even if it isn't what the user is searching for. I recently tried searching for a brushless car wash and it received results for some chains car washes that have brushes...

Yeah, exactly! when I got my first 'smart phone' the sales guy asked me for my gmail account..

"I don't have one"
Well, you need one to get your phone set up.
I have Hotmail..
No, you need to have a Gmail account
Why?
Cuze that's the way it works. Here, let's get you set up with one..
[frantically, in the store, get a google account set up.. I likely have a Gmail inbox full of crap buy now!]
-we go thru a few settings, and I ask about having my e-mail on it.
Well, you now have a Gmail account, it uses that.
But I have a hotmail account.
Yeah, it doesn't use that.. You will need to go and convert it all over to Gmail
This one doesn't bother me so much except in one respect. Rewrite the script a little:
"To support many of the features, you need to use your Google account. Enter your gmail address."​
I don't have one.
"Oh, no problem. We can set that up now. It'll get the phone features working right. You'll also have a gmail address and a bunch of other features. You can just ignore those if you want, or you can start to use them. Up to you."​
(Quickly signing up for a Google account)
"So, do you want to use the new gmail account for your email?"​
No, I'd rather stick with my Hotmail account.
"OK, just a few extra steps then. No problem."​

The only real problem was that your sales guy didn't know what the heck he was talking about, didn't give a crap, or both. People have been saying for a long time that the American economy is evolving into a service economy. If that's true then we are in deep trouble, because we suck at service.

I give out my gmail address to people and businesses who say they need an email address to do something that I want, but that I don't want to receive email from. Once or twice a year I go in and delete everything.

I have 3 emails I use (besides my work email). 1) my ISP based email. It is 100% spam and if I think you'll be the same, that's what you get and I never check it. 2) my gmail email that I use for services that have to have one and I'll check it once a week or so. 3) my gmail for my Android devices. It is only used to run my phone/tablet/TV/Thermostat (all that stuff based on Google services) I should never get any real emails from this.

When you get a new Android device, it wants a gmail email to use all the features and that's OK but it isn't required and you can get versions of Android with all the Google stuff stripped out. The sales person above was defecient in their service.

Another gripe I'll add, is that when I try to look up something, how to do something, to learn an aspect of computer life I:
  • Will do a search in Google. The results may or may not be exactly what I'm after
  • Will then need to weed thru the results. Some of which are just weird
  • Then take time to start reading the text / article
  • Go thru the motions of clicking off the 'allow user location', 'subscribe to our news letter', ' allow cookies', and a few other pop ups that litter the page..
  • I then have to try & focus on the article itself, in which AdSense tosses flashy & bouncy & animated ads throughout & around the body of text I'm trying to read (major distractions!)
  • Resize the page to reduce the banner ads & crap
  • Then realize the article doesn't quite address my inquiry..
  • Go back to step one..
  • Repeat..
so, seriously, why bother.. Its just a mash of ads & crap & info I find hard to digest..
https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/ublock-origin/https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/ublock-origin/cjpalhdlnbpafiamejdnhcphjbkeiagmhttps://microsoftedge.microsoft.com/addons/detail/ublock-origin/odfafepnkmbhccpbejgmiehpchacaeakhttps://addons.opera.com/en/extensions/details/ublock/

I think it was Ford, many years back, that put the horn button on the end of the turn signal lever (whaaAAAAT??). Broken turn signal levers from people slamming the turn signal the way they used to slam the center of the steering wheel...they changed back the next year.

Yep, early Ford Cortinas had that stupid button.

I think it was Ford, many years back, that put the horn button on the end of the turn signal lever (whaaAAAAT??). Broken turn signal levers from people slamming the turn signal the way they used to slam the center of the steering wheel...they changed back the next year.

I had the stupid turn signal horn on my Fairmont. Once I had a car stop in front of me on a one lane city street. All of a sudden I see her reverse lights come on and she is rapidly backing toward me. By the time I found and hit the horn, I had everything else in the car turned on including turn signals, wipers and headlights.

I had the stupid turn signal horn on my Fairmont. Once I had a car stop in front of me on a one lane city street. All of a sudden I see her reverse lights come on and she is rapidly backing toward me. By the time I found and hit the horn, I had everything else in the car turned on including turn signals, wipers and headlights.

that made me chuckle out loud..

Wednesday night, around 7pm, had to take my new bride to the ER because she was short of breath and had chest tightness. Dr. didn't think it was COVID (she's an RN and has been immunized for months, now), but was worried about her heart. Today, I brought her home around 1pm after they put her through tons of tests only to tell her they think she was A) Stressed and B) Not enough potassium. She's feeling much better, but it was scary, less than 2 weeks after the wedding.

Messed around with back-loaded horn speaker case design stuff. My only 3d printer right now is a Prusa Mini, so I'm trying to fit a semi-ok design into about 175x175mm...while using a 3" speaker. I'm remixing a design that's already on Thingiverse. It's an over-constrained problem, but it's fun to play with.

Great brainstorming & spear chunking from AeroAggie, as always.

Here's a draft with a quickie horn path. The speaker hole isn't cut yet and the horn path isn't right. Still, fun!
Screen Shot 2021-04-09 at 12.04.44 AM.png

Edit: speaker hole...
Screen Shot 2021-04-09 at 12.30.49 AM.png

Last edited:
Caught up with some friends for lunch at a fully packed restaurant. Nice to be out. We were going to ride our bikes there but rain (my wife and our friends are fair-weather riders) opted to drive there instead.

Fixed my daughter's washing machine that was making some bad clunking noises. Turned out to be an old pen in between the outer and inner drums. Removed drum, pen and bits of plastic. Works now.

Managed to get some rocketry stuff done (automatic antenna tracker) before having to move some furniture and knick-knacks in preparation for getting a floor stripped, cleaned and resealed in the next week or so. I have one more day to do the moving before a shoulder reco on Monday avo. That will put me out of action for a couple of months regarding moving big stuff.

Raked the front yard.. (We now look comparable to the neighbours!)

Deciding on what to do next (I know I should be starting the front porch make-over..)

Dropped off a bucketfull of old batteries and a bag of fluorescent bulbs at the local haz-waste disposal. Also raked front yard and surprised my allergies aren't killing me right now.

Here's a draft with a quickie horn path. The speaker hole isn't cut yet and the horn path isn't right. Still, fun!

I want to try this for a retro stereo cab rebuild project I have. Are there general/basic rules of thumb for creating the horn path or will creative design liberty be sufficient for a not so serious tinkerer?

I want to try this for a retro stereo cab rebuild project I have. Are there general/basic rules of thumb for creating the horn path or will creative design liberty be sufficient for a not so serious tinkerer?
There are some online back loaded horn calculators that’ll give you sizes based on cutoff frequencies. I’m not an audio engineer, so I’m not even close to good at this.

There is a considerable amount of info on the web...just Google back-loaded horn speaker case or a variation thereof.

After the recent rains I got up on the roof to look at a possible leak point. Turns out there is an external roof timber that needs replacing, so grabbed a piece of nice red gum from the timber drying rack and proceeded to cut it down from 90 x 70 mm square to 55 x 30 mm square.

Fallen trees on the farm are the best source of cheap high quality hardwood!

Looks good after final planing, so pre-drill and get up there today for a bit of demolition and rebuild. 🤠

After the recent rains I got up on the roof to look at a possible leak point. Turns out there is an external roof timber that needs replacing, so grabbed a piece of nice red gum from the timber drying rack and proceeded to cut it down from 90 x 70 mm square to 55 x 30 mm square.

Fallen trees on the farm are the best source of cheap high quality hardwood!

Looks good after final planing, so pre-drill and get up there today for a bit of demolition and rebuild. 🤠
What did you use to fill the grain? What kind of glue are you going to use? Did you airfoil it? Did you add TTR (through-the-roof) mounting tabs?

Oh sorry, wrong thread.

That snake would have scared the living daylights out of me and then there would have been a big hole where it was. Many years ago when I was new to the west and Idaho I went for a hike . I saw a funny looking rock and as I was bending over to pick it up I realized it was a coiled rattle snake. I jumped back and fired 6 shots from my .357 and then beat it with a big stick until I knocked it's head off. That snake was over 5' long without it's head. I took it back to camp and skinned it. I still have that skin somewhere. I am not a fan of snakes.

Back