What I did today -instead- of Rocketry.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got the chance to get quite a few kg of chocolates, direct from the factory, at bargain prices. Mainly seconds and slight packaging fails.
Chocs.jpg

I can feel my glycosylated haemoglobin levels climbing already.

Got the chance to get quite a few kg of chocolates, direct from the factory, at bargain prices. Mainly seconds and slight packaging fails.
View attachment 453179

I can feel my glycosylated haemoglobin levels climbing already.

That's unbelievably greedy of you. But you have my street address, right? 😘

Cadbury have a factory outlet that if you know somebody who is allowed to buy there you can purchase whatever might be available. They also open to everyone the Saturday before Halloween. Normally it is mostly employees and emergency services I think.

I will probably also provide a beer after such a long drive :).

I reckon I have a couple of years supply of chocolates there, at least. We are dieting currently, so that will make them last even a bit longer!

May in fact be down for a week or two later this year if things work out. Could be fun!

@Cape Byron & @OverTheTop

I just looked you both up: Google maps. And there is actually a place called "Cape Byron" (And is the most eastern point of the mainland!)

according to Google maps, that's about 16-18 hrs between you both! that is a drive! Either Australia is bigger than I thought, or the roads are smaller / not as straight as I would have expected..

Good score on the chocolates! Love Cadbury's!

That's unbelievably greedy of you. But you have my street address, right?
😘
Come on down and I'll give you some chocolates in person 😂.
One day, my friend, I will hold you to that promise. 😈
I will probably also provide a beer after such a long drive :).

I reckon I have a couple of years supply of chocolates there, at least. We are dieting currently, so that will make them last even a bit longer!
May in fact be down for a week or two later this year if things work out. Could be fun!
We should catch up when you are down here then!
Sounds like a plan!
Hey, you two, get a room. ;)

@Cape Byron & @OverTheTopI just looked you both up... according to Google maps, that's about 16-18 hrs between you both! that is a drive! Either Australia is bigger than I thought...
Well, yeah; it's a continent.

I just looked you both up: Google maps. And there is actually a place called "Cape Byron" (And is the most eastern point of the mainland!)

Yep. I can see the lighthouse light from the farm.

according to Google maps, that's about 16-18 hrs between you both! that is a drive! Either Australia is bigger than I thought, or the roads are smaller / not as straight as I would have expected..

Ummm, we do have aeroplanes here too.

Yeah, Oz is a big place. You get used to driving, or flying, or Zoom.

What you need is a Road Train!

I drove my cousin's road train up in the NT a while back. Mack truck on the front pulling a trailer with a bulldozer that was 3' wider than the trailer, another trailer with two road rollers (one rams-hoof and one regular), and finally a 3/4 full fuel tanker. Total was 95 tonnes. We had one car pass in the other direction for the entire day. Not much traffic where we were driving

Over the top implied you driving down... (or up, depending on your view of the globe! :D )

I'd love to do that drive!

Not a bad drive. You can go inland and pick up some interesting diversions like the Parkes Radio Telescope. Last time we did it was in a 7 seater 4WD towing an offroad camper. Decided to take the kids over the Sydney Harbour Bridge, which was entertaining during lane changes in Sydney!

I drove my cousin's road train up in the NT a while back. Mack truck on the front pulling a trailer with a bulldozer that was 3' wider than the trailer, another trailer with two road rollers (one rams-hoof and one regular), and finally a 3/4 full fuel tanker. Total was 95 tonnes. We had one car pass in the other direction for the entire day. Not much traffic where we were driving

Are these paved roads or dirt?

Are these paved roads or dirt?
These were dirt highways well out in the outback, about 700-800km away from Alice Springs. My cousin owned the company that was repairing the roads. We were moving camp to the next location where road repairs were needed.

With the 'dozer behind the prime mover we would do a little turn every ten minutes to check if there was anyone behind wanting to pass. Had to turn to get the mirrors out from behind the blade of the bulldozer.

These were dirt highways well out in the outback, about 700-800km away from Alice Springs. My cousin owned the company that was repairing the roads. We were moving camp to the next location where road repairs were needed.

With the 'dozer behind the prime mover we would do a little turn every ten minutes to check if there was anyone behind wanting to pass. Had to turn to get the mirrors out from behind the blade of the bulldozer.

Better you than me, mate. I've driven many miles of dirt roads in west Texas and through the panhandle. The two lane "blacktop"* was not much better, and in rain, impossible.
*paved with asphalt.

Back