What I did today -instead- of Rocketry.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got a call at 10 telling me to come to the ICU because it's a very good possibility that my dad may pass today. He was admitted last week with severe pneumonia and only had 20% use of his lungs. Lots of tests later and he has 4 different infections and they're throwing the book at him. He was slowly getting better but last night took a turn for the worse. And really can't turn up the machines any more and he still isn't getting the air he needs. They're not sure if the breathing issues will be it or his heart. I'm headed to the hospital now.
can you give us an update?

can you give us an update?
In ICU still, 3 fungal infections and 1 viral which are the root of the pneumonia. On 90% oxygen and PEEP 14 (high flow) very low heart-rate (30s) going between a-fib and normal and having problems keeping a steady blood pressure. Fully sedated and the keep swapping between on his back and on his stomach. Its a day-to-day kinda thing now. He could recover or not, doctors aren't giving odds of one over the other.

So sorry to hear that, those lung problems can be the worst kind as I have only 30% of my lungs working so getting to the point of where you gasp for air is terrible. Thankfully he's fully sedated..... unfortunately the large amount of grief is on all of you, and having to stand by knowing you can't do anything to help him.

Found about 80 metres of 4 strand barb down from recent storms. I'll re-string with plain wire next week as we don't have livestock and plain wire is nicer for the native critters to deal with. Mower ran over 4 barb strands and got zero punctures! I'm amazed.

Replaced the 9V battery in my CW key. I'm struggling to learn Morse Code.
vF0zxsb.jpg

Went for a bike ride on a creek trail. My wife did 10km and I did 13km. A bit short for me but she is just getting into it.

There is a car dealership near us that we noticed had some nicely done up cars on show, so we went for a look. Holden cars from I guess '50s to current, presented by their enthusiast owners. Some really rare ones too.

20210228_223829.jpg

20210228_223856.jpg

Went for a bike ride on a creek trail. My wife did 10km and I did 13km. A bit short for me but she is just getting into it.

There is a car dealership near us that we noticed had some nicely done up cars on show, so we went for a look. Holden cars from I guess '50s to current, presented by their enthusiast owners. Some really rare ones too.

Aww, I was hoping for a few Ford Falcons.. MFP colours.. :D

In ICU still, 3 fungal infections and 1 viral which are the root of the pneumonia. On 90% oxygen and PEEP 14 (high flow) very low heart-rate (30s) going between a-fib and normal and having problems keeping a steady blood pressure. Fully sedated and the keep swapping between on his back and on his stomach. Its a day-to-day kinda thing now. He could recover or not, doctors aren't giving odds of one over the other.
Dad is slowly getting better. They've taken him off the paralytics and sedation. He opens his eyes at times but still isn't responding to commands like squeeze my hand. They've reduced the vent settings to strong air flow but no longer max and oxygen from 90%-100% down to 80% and he's keeping oxygen in his blood above 95%(normal) his blood pressure is still only barely under control but heart rate and type is good. Chest x-ray and CT scan shows slight improvement in his lungs.

If this continues, he'll recover

In June of 2018 I had a chance to take a groups of 6 students from the college I used to work at to attend a RockOn workshop at Wallops Flight Facility. The 6 of us built two Arduino based instrument packages that later that week NASA techs clustered all the instrument packages and put them in an Orion-Terroir sounding rocket & launched them into space.

We all had a chance to be at the Assembly building to watch the techs assemble the rocket. I was walking around and saw this nosecone.

Mars Parachute Nosecone.jpg

The thing was steel & brass! Heavier than hell. So I asked the director what was this for? Wallops tested the new parachute designs that JPL came up with for the Perseverance Mission. They launched this heavy nosecone with the new parachute high enough that when it was coming back down they could eject the chute at the same air pressure and speed as at Mars.

I really enjoyed the Perseverance landing video to see that chute open up. :clapping:

Another exciting day:
  • Laundry - always a thrill... but running out of towels :D
  • Ran on the treadmill - trying to counteract quarantine atrophy
  • Started a book on President McKinley
  • Finished a book on Cosmology
  • Accepted onto the board of a small non-profit
  • Watched some episodes of "Time Team" (UK) and "Tudor Monastery Farm" (interesting historical re-enactment)
  • Received some banknotes from 1960s China - these circulated during the Great Famine (30 - 40 million dead) and the Cultural Revolution (who knows how many dead) - those poor people - I have a morbid fascination for such items, for better or worse (a few scans below for the curious)
China_1_Yuan_1960_01.pngChina_1_Yuan_1960_02.pngChina_5_Yuan_1960_01.pngChina_5_Yuan_1960_02.png
China_10_Yuan1965_01.pngChina_10_Yuan1965_02.png

Dad is slowly getting better... If this continues, he'll recover.
Great news.

• Started a book on President McKinley
  • Finished a book on Cosmology
You are quite the prolific and diverse author.
  • Received some banknotes from 1960s China - these circulated during the Great Famine (30 - 40 million dead) and the Cultural Revolution (who knows how many dead) - those poor people - I have a morbid fascination for such items, for better or worse (a few scans below for the curious)
It's interesting how much Latin alphabet is on those.

Last edited:
Back