What I did today -instead- of Rocketry.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You should see the Lake Superior shoreline in winter. The ice was like flowstone in a cave. I was up there with the Boy Scouts many decades ago.
@teepot I was born & raised in Duluth and still live in the area but not on Lake Superior in NW Wisconsin. Lake Superior is majestic no matter what season it is but in the winter it is something special.

WinterIceCaveHoriz.jpg

Yesterday went and bought the Mirage M3si speakers, now I have to find someone to get them out of the back of our SUV, they are 135lbs. each
JWBTfoG.jpg

Last edited:
While snowed in last week the offices were closed but I didn't do do any rocketry. Had three teeth go south on me so I ended up doing this instead of something rocket related.
Hydro 3D.jpg

not working!

(Got kicked out of my work 'Citrix' session.. some 'power failure' apparently has reset our Citrix server, so I believe we are all kicked out! Just kicking back, waiting for the IT department to call us all to 'log back on')

I maxed out my accrued vacation already so I'm on a forced week long vacation. 6 weeks and I get 3 days per month. I'm going to get another forced vacation in another 2 months.

Built the av-bay for my LOC LaserLOC 223. Edges of the fins are eased and fins tacked in place with CA. Not sure if I want to add fillets or just glass them on and have that process add a little extra at the joint to act as fillets.

You are very fortunate. I had 2 big companies, Owens Corning and McDonnell Douglas both tell me, "You're grandkids will retire from here". Didn't happen. :mad:

You are very fortunate. I had 2 big companies, Owens Corning and McDonnell Douglas both tell me, "You're grandkids will retire from here". Didn't happen. :mad:
Even if they decide to downsize me, the company policy says my severance package would include the next year's bonus and 1 year salary plus any accrued vacation is paid out. Plus they do out-placement assistance (help you write your CV, teach you how to interview, etc.). They also give you preference when applying for any internal job postings.

It's one of the largest pharma companies in the world. It has its downsides just like any large company but in the end it's not a bad place to work and they really do try to put the patient first. I see what some of the budgets are and while there are perks for very high performing sales people, we treat research as if they can do no wrong and they lack for nothing.

With a severance package like that it's almost be good to be laid off. If one were close enough to retirement then one really might be hoping for it. I work for one of the world's biggest railway manufacturing company, and I got the next year's bonus on a lay-off it's be a $25 gift card to the local supermarket. (No, really, not kidding.)

Isn't that the awful place where they cut ships up for scrap with guys using no fall protection across rickety catwalks, using burning torches with sandals on, minimal if any PPE, etc.?
exactly. and all for teh princely sum of $5USD a day!!

but the fact that it goes on for miles & miles of coast line.. and that you can see it from space!! (And you can get some fair detail from the satellite images! that impresses me the most!)

and obviously 'chemicals leaching into our oceans' is of no concern either! :D

With a severance package like that it's almost be good to be laid off. If one were close enough to retirement then one really might be hoping for it. I work for one of the world's biggest railway manufacturing company, and I got the next year's bonus on a lay-off it's be a $25 gift card to the local supermarket. (No, really, not kidding.)
I want to stay until retirement for a few reasons but one of the major ones is as part of our health insurance plan, any company med you're prescribed is free and that continues into retirement. A major part of our portfolio is oncology meds (cancer meds) which are crazy stupid expensive. If I retire as an employee, myself and all my dependants get all company drugs for free. In retirement, drug costs can eat up a significant part of the monthly budget.

That said, I have 19 years to go until retirement so I'm not too sure of my chances of making it that long. I'm in IT and they've been moving those jobs to Spain, Costa Rica and Malaysia.

I was really lucky in that I got to work at a high-end stereo shop when I was in college. I got to listen to some of the best stuff in the world (at that time - late 70's).
I wish I could go back and be able to work in a hi-fi shop, I really had my priorities screwed up in my confused adolescence.

Back when we threw a lot of parties my brother had a Sylvania Quad system with 4 "Shot Glass" mini column speakers.
I don't recall the exact numbers but they handled a lot of power and delivered the sound. I think they were rated at 125W each. each column had 4 x ~6" speakers with fiberglass cones and a Mid-range/tweeter horn in the center.

When Dark Side of the Moon was released we played the hell out of it. The song "Run" in 4-channel was awesome with the helicopter coming around behind you.
That was hot stuff back then.

I don't know how those speakers would measure-up today but they were pretty cool back in 1974.

Today, instead of rocketry I listened to Zen music for relaxation on my Moto G6 with ear buds.
They are just loud enough to overcome the constant ringing :confused:

"Contentment is Destroyed by Comparison" is the old saying I use. Only after listening to a speaker system that you can FEEL, instead of just listening to, do you realize how good speakers can be. Being a musician all my life and playing in all kinds of groups, I want to be surrounded/immersed in the sound, not just have 2 polite small speakers up in the front of the room. You know, the kind you can be brought into the room blindfolded, and point right to where the speakers are? You need to be enveloped to try and give a 3-D effect with a good bottom end too. "It's all about that BASS";)

Can you tell how excited I get about Hi-Fi?:)
I used to have a great system years ago, and always liked listening to music on good quality sound systems. My wife likes listening to music on her mobile phone, using the tinny little speaker they have. It drive me bananas. She has had the Bee Gees Greatest Hits on loop for the past two months :( :( :(.

I offered to get her a Bose speaker system but she declined.

My wife likes listening to music on her mobile phone, using the tinny little speaker they have. It drive me bananas. She has had the Bee Gees Greatest Hits on loop for the past two months

Why don't you offer to get her a new playlist?

I have a nice JBL Flip 4 that I can annoy the kids with by listening to 70's reggae...

My wife just took off with one of our cats that cannot lift his back end off the floo,r and has been exhibiting other issues here lately physically, so she is taking him to a 24-hour vet service. It is after 10 at night so I'm imagining that this is going to cost a lot of money which we don't have , so it's not looking good for the home team. he is 13 years old

Back