What I did today -instead- of Rocketry.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well that's just crap. Chronic pain is the worst dog, even worse than the black dog of depression. Trust me, I've been companions to both of them. Fingers crossed for you.

They put a patch on my back to wear for the next 7 days, which is some kind of narcotic. It's not working. I've always been resistant to pharms, just the way my body is.

My son is coming over today for lunch as it's his birthday, 41 years old, wow how time flies.

Took youngest cat (Dale, 1 yr old) to the vet yesterday. He's coughing hard, not eating solids even canned solids, dehydrating. Got an antibiotic; he's slightly better today but he's going in again anyway, probably needs IV hydration and/or steroids.

A friend converted me to makin' bacon in the oven: 425° for 12 minutes. lay out flat on a cookie sheet lined with tin foil. crisp , even, flat bacon!
For an experiment, try it on a cooling rack in the cookie sheet, with some water below. The rack lets both sides be exposed to air and the water keeps the dripings from smoking.

No guantees, but works for a duck.

For an experiment, try it on a cooling rack in the cookie sheet, with some water below. The rack lets both sides be exposed to air and the water keeps the dripings from smoking.

No guantees, but works for a duck.

I’ve found that on the rack, it doesn’t get as crispy. Fine for me, as I like my bacon squiggly... the GF, not so much. So, some goes on the rack and some on the side.

4 tacos and 4 beers?

2 tacos, 2 beers and 2 of my wife’s monstrous homemade blueberry muffins. She even made them with extra blueberries for me (that is why they are a little flat). We call them “5 mile muffins” because they probably have 5 miles of running worth of calories in each...worth it.

823AC420-38D6-4342-ACC3-C60211ED04D6.jpeg

Squared-up a few pieces of Black Walnut using a #8 jointer plane and #5-1/2 Bailey jack plane to be used in a future project.
It is amazing how good a workout that is when you haven't done it is a while.

The wood really needed help because I originally rough-cut it from three 8' sections of trunk using an 18" chainsaw about 25 years ago.
The tree had been bulldozed into a ravine by a contractor who couldn't care less about the quality wood he was prepared to let rot away. Fortunately the land owner was receptive to my offer to haul it away.

Last edited:
(Moving quotes over from What did you do rocket wise today?)

9°F this morning.
Started out at 14 degrees so chilly morning.
I'll say. When I read it that I thought you must ne in metricland where 14 is chilly. Isn't 14 called "cold" in Indiana.
That's -14...
I know it's not all about latitude, but I live north of anywhere in Indiana, and I say 14 is beyond chilly and into cold. -14 is Damn cold.
1611583329917.png

(Moving quotes over from What did you do rocket wise today?)

9°F this morning.

I know it's not all about latitude, but I live north of anywhere in Indiana, and I say 14 is beyond chilly and into cold. -14 is Damn cold.
View attachment 447831
I'm in central Indiana. I'll walk the 50 feet from my door to the mailbox and back in 32 degree weather in tshirt and shorts. At 14 degrees, it'll be jeans and a hoodie. At -14, I'll swap the hoodie for a jacket. At -40 I'll put on a hat and gloves. About a month ago I went camping and it got down to 23 overnight. Getting up to go pee was an adventure but the trip was fun.

We get -40 a few times a year. Its not exactly fun. 14 is chilly and you don't want to get wet when it's that cold but it's not like the air hurts your face.

Watched the snow melt. Our little corner of Southern Nevada got 2 inches of snow last night. Snow on the valley floor is rare. It was gone by 2pm. The road into Vegas was closed overnight. It goes over a 5000' pass. And there can't be more than a few snowplows around here.

Attachments

• 20210126_080230[156].jpg
    20210126_080230[156].jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 4
  • 20210126_080238[159].jpg
    20210126_080238[159].jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 4
Went and did my lung test today, then went to the lung doctor. Thankfully my results were the same as 6 months ago. Lungs are down to 30 % efficiency. They are going to get me a new breathing machine called a Trilogy model instead of the BiPAP machine that I use for breathing during the night.
There will be no cold weather launching for me as going out in weather below 60 degrees causes me to have big-time bronchial spasms which leaves me gasping for air even with two double mask on, and that's just going 50 foot from the door to the car. the local Club does not launch after the spring because of the crops going in, so I will have to drive probably 2 hours to go into South Carolina to launch with them in the warmer weather as they are on a sod field.

Back