What I did today -instead- of Rocketry.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ran 10k...then cussed when I missed my goal time by 7 sec. Oh well, first time I’ve made it the whole way running.
Next time!

Smashed it this time! 1h was the goal.

Sorry if these updates are getting obnoxious, getting healthy has taken A LOT of work. These times are my carrots...other than the rediculous amount of actual carrots I eat that is.

Screenshot_20210112-200831~2.png

Gave my basement/shop a face lift. It started with a purging, the kind that is painful at first, but then becomes liberating. Leveled my workbench, replaced the working surface, added a shelf for organizing, replaced a basement door that was broken (which escalated to patching mortar and a lot of plaster work), and setting up a spot for a new tool.

Before:

View attachment 445822

After:

View attachment 445823

And:

View attachment 445824
@mbeels I hope you can find things again. ;)

Looks like I'm taking up a new hobby/sport, go karting.
I'm trying to buy one of these:
https://www.ckrgokart.it/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/stingray_featured.jpgBy the time I get all the safety gear and maintenance stuff, it's going to be expensive, but still less than a big street bike, and way less than a sports car.
Could be one of the dumbest things I've done, or the smartest.

Looks like I'm taking up a new hobby/sport, go karting.
I'm trying to buy one of these:
https://www.ckrgokart.it/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/stingray_featured.jpgBy the time I get all the safety gear and maintenance stuff, it's going to be expensive, but still less than a big street bike, and way less than a sports car.
Could be one of the dumbest things I've done, or the smartest.

It's the most fun you can have with your clothes on, especially when you get out on the big road racing courses like Daytona, Mid-Ohio, etc.
One of our laydown/enduro karts
EujRhAG.jpg

Nice bike there! What is it and what size? I'm a biker hence my handle (I ride a 125 Yamaha).

This was yesterday but I went down into a barge to take a look at some relatively minor damage. The compartment is about 50’ long, 30’ wide, and 25’ deep.

1B41002B-C5BA-484E-8F3C-B1BECA44E71C.jpeg

It's the most fun you can have with your clothes on, especially when you get out on the big road racing courses like Daytona, Mid-Ohio, etc.
One of our laydown/enduro karts
EujRhAG.jpg
I'm not going to take it that far. I'm starting way too late. I'll turn 67 next month. Mostly I just want to drive around the track as fast as I feel safe doing. I'm going to join a local forum and, maybe, a club and when I get my kart I'll try and meet up with people for some good natured competition. I thought about getting, and am still thinking about getting, a little KTM road racer to thrash around the track. But I'm more worried about road rash and broken bones on a bike.
I'm getting a World Formula motor, and they don't really have much in the way of racing for that, around here.
How fast will that streamliner of yours go?

Nice bike there! What is it and what size? I'm a biker hence my handle (I ride a 125 Yamaha).
1993 Honda VFR 750 which is a V4 engine design. I got interested in them after reading an article in a British motorcycle magazine which told about Britain's long-distance Courier champion who logged in over two and a half million miles over his 40-year career so they asked him about what his favorite motorcycles were and he said his best was a 1991 Honda VFR 750 which he put a little over 1 million miles on, as he put 490,000 on his first engine and then got another engine out of a junkyard and finished up the million miles on it, so I looked at that and thought it had to be one of the best engine designs ever made, and it was extremely smooth running, so I ended up with three of them over the years, a 97 and 2 of the 1993 pearl white models. I had 11 motorcycles over the years. 6 dirt bikes and 4 road bikes.

Last edited:
Ok, give up some details!
I started racing karts in 84 as I lived fairly close to Mid-Ohio road racing track. Started out with a sit-up sprint kart, then eventually got an enduro/laydown kart. I think I had 4 sprint karts and 7 laydown karts through the years. My son got into racing too and we finally got to race them at Daytona the year before I got messed up , so I at least got to scratch that off of my bucket list. So I get really pissed off every time I watch an Enduro Kart or other races at Daytona knowing that there's no way that I could do it anymore, as life is very cruel for many people in the world , and there's lots of Injustice, and we don't always get what we want.

a 2 minute look at enduro kart racing

Last edited:
for those of you who want to see how really fast lay down karts are, you need to watch this video of a really fast driver at Daytona (Rick is a really cool guy and is a pro driving instructor), with dual 125cc engines on it, back straightaway speeds are close to 150 mile per hour

Last edited:
for those of you who want to see how really fast lay down karts are, you need to watch this video of a really fast driver at Daytona with dual 125cc engines on it, back straightaway speeds are close to 150 mile per hour

to quote a co-worker (who I shared some Isle of Man race videos with):

C'est Malade!! (That is sick / crazy / holley-cra..!! :D )

at 67 you need to stay away from racing motorcycles, as crashing a bike ends up really bad. The enduro went 110 mph at Daytona.
I came to the conclusion that riding a motorcycle or scooter, on the street, was too dangerous. The mortality rate for motorcycles is something like 12 times that of a car. Riding around a track seemed safer, but you are right, I don't bounce or mend like I used to. I'm probably better off staying away.
I always liked the V4 Interceptor. Way back when, I had a Honda 750F. My dad had a Gold Wing and he, mom and I would often go for a ride on my day off. We rode up Mt. Evans one time. Took them up Trail Ridge road several times.

Went on a short 40 minute drive to a winery/distillery with my wife and one of her friends. I did the gin tasting and they did the wine tasting. A cheese platter might have been involved also.

Then we went for a walk along one of the local rail trails (for walking/biking) and dropped into a cafe there for scones and coffee. A very pleasant day and it is great to be out and about after 14 days of lockdown. Weather was jut perfect too.

I came to the conclusion that riding a motorcycle or scooter, on the street, was too dangerous. The mortality rate for motorcycles is something like 12 times that of a car. Riding around a track seemed safer, but you are right, I don't bounce or mend like I used to. I'm probably better off staying away.
I always liked the V4 Interceptor. Way back when, I had a Honda 750F. My dad had a Gold Wing and he, mom and I would often go for a ride on my day off. We rode up Mt. Evans one time. Took them up Trail Ridge road several times.
The start of my downhill slide to non-motorcylism was the last time I rode without a brain bucket. City street 35 mph limit. I had stopped on my way home and bought a six pack that was on the tank between my legs. Guy turns left in front of me into a restaurant parking lot and about comes to a stop so he didn't drag his car. I didn't even have time to dump the bike, although I tried. Center punched him. Both bike and I went over. I landed on my head. Dr. said it was the most perfect star burst rupture he had seen, 36 stiches. The real issue was the police. That six pack exploded on contact and gave me an alcohol bath that was very apparent to the officers. Apparently they didn't get the concept that when I went drinking the alcohol was inside me. That was decades ago. Sold my last bike about 2 years ago. Pushing 70 I figure I might have lost a step. Besides the wife relies on me. Loved riding fast on curvy roads, great fun.

The start of my downhill slide to non-motorcylism was the last time I rode without a brain bucket.

Never rode without a helmet.

I've broken a vertebrae in my neck, both arms, both legs on separate occasions, left knee twice, both wrists on separate occasions, both ankles on separate occasions, sixteen ribs. One leg was my fault - racetrack, they moved a haybale I was using as a braking marker. Everything else was someone else's fault.

I don't ride on the road any more. I want to, but I promised my partner and my kids I wouldn't.

shoveled about 15-20cm (6-8") of heavy wet snow! (a 3-car driveway)

I finished it off last night at about 10:30pm. Nice, quiet, peaceful.. Since we have a curfew, just quiet! No city 'din', no highway sounds, no..

Serviced the family car (oil & filters change, replaced battery), kids to playpark, trip to the scrapyard with some old tat (hurt back and shoulders to thank for that...), lots of household chores. Rather exhausted and back to work tomorrow so no rocketry-related fun tonight. Was going to do some more work on my Cobra (build thread on the LPR forum) but really can't be bothered which is saying something!

I was really hoping to find photos from a Escalante-Grand Staircase trip, but only found a few other trips.
Here are a few photos from a canoe trip down the Green River in Utah. One of my all time favorite trips.
I was taking slides at that point in time so this are scanned photos from slides, so the quality isn't that good.
Floating down the Green.jpgDawn on the Green River.jpgStar tracks around north star.jpg

for those of you who want to see how really fast lay down karts are, you need to watch this video of a really fast driver at Daytona (Rick is a really cool guy and is a pro driving instructor), with dual 125cc engines on it, back straightaway speeds are close to 150 mile per hour

Sprint racing go karts looks fairly benign. This seems downright dangerous. Not much protection and high speed. Exciting!

-Read a Spanish children's book, though it still used the subjunctive
-Watched some old "Time Time UK" episodes
-Ate some incredible Jerusalem-style falafel and fried cauliflower
-Read a section on dark matter in "A Little Book of Cosmology"
-Posted a video that received mixed reviews :D
-Forgot to finish my linear equations lesson
-Found out that one of my comics made it into a college textbook

A few times a friend let me drive his enduro laydown cart at Summit, WV and Pocono Raceway. It is quite the thrill to be going down the straightaway at 110 - 120 mph with your backside 2 inches off the ground. And then, braking hard enough to make the hard right turn at the end

Attended a zoom call yesterday (my first, believe it or not) organized by my late mother's cousin, with most of the relations on that side out to my second cousins (on my mother's father's quarter). There are about 30, and over 20 showed up, along with some of their spouses and offspring. There are a good few I've met but barely know, and a small few I've never met at all.

One of my generation (a first cousin, it happens) is already organizing another one, this time to intentionally include more of the next generation (i.e. out to thirds) as well.

I'm wondering about setting that up for my father's side. I'll need help finding out who they all are. My sister is better than I on that, and I'm sure Dad's sisters will have more information yet.

Hired a truck and helped (did most!) my daughter move house. Relaxing with a drink now 🙂
And pizza? When you help someone move they're supposed to provide beer and pizza. Maybe it's different with your own offspring; my daughter hasn't moved anywhere without us yet.

Back