What I did today -instead- of Rocketry.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Way back in the middle ages when I was in college I visited a friend in Milwaukee. We went to a place that served chili on noodles. I still remember how god it was. I haven't seen or heard of it until now. I found a Cincy Chili recipe online & will most definitely give it a try. Thanks! :headspinning:
I know that "Steak n Shake" sells a pretty good chili on noodles aswell a what the call "Chili 5 ways"

It’s has to be pretty much impossible to find people who do it. Our report probably will just end up on a PowerPoint slide somewhere.

The best we can do is tag the GPS where it happened and file a report. It hasn't happened to me in flight, but a few of our pilots have had it happen over the years. Our events have just been noted in an email and the annual FAA required crew meeting. I'm sure the safety officer reports it to the FAA office, but from there I doubt much can be done.

The best we can do is tag the GPS where it happened and file a report. It hasn't happened to me in flight, but a few of our pilots have had it happen over the years. Our events have just been noted in an email and the annual FAA required crew meeting. I'm sure the safety officer reports it to the FAA office, but from there I doubt much can be done.
I listen to ATC recordings and if it's more than an aircraft or two, tower normally calls the police and there have been a few times it's tracked down and the people arrested.

There's no excuse for lazing a plane and those that do should face the consequences

I listen to ATC recordings and if it's more than an aircraft or two, tower normally calls the police and there have been a few times it's tracked down and the people arrested.

There's no excuse for lazing a plane and those that do should face the consequences

That's good to know. I feel like we are a little more vulnerable than a jetliner. Even though I sit in the copilot seat, I'm not much help besides an extra set of eyes. Our pilot is it. We do have autopilot and can use ILS approaches, but still just a single pilot. He needs his vision for all of our sake.

Oh please don’t listen to my call from the other night. “Uhhhh, hey Center, we just got lazed & stuff. It was, like, bright & stuff.”

There are some good recordings of me over the years. Apparently I talk too much on the radio.

Oh please don’t listen to my call from the other night. “Uhhhh, hey Center, we just got lazed & stuff. It was, like, bright & stuff.”

There are some good recordings of me over the years. Apparently I talk too much on the radio.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuedf_fJVrOppky5gl3U6QQ
That is one of the better YouTube channels for ATC interactions. I don't know if any of your calls are on there but I wouldn't be too surprised if you were on the air at the same time as a notable event.

up most of the night (slept from 2-4 am), foot doctor appointment this morning, fatigue kept me in bed the rest of the day, it's a bitch not having many muscles, including the ones that keep you breathing. We found an adjustable bed used on the classifieds to buy, so we got it yesterday, so I need to keep the upper part of my body elevated to be able to breathe.

up most of the night (slept from 2-4 am), foot doctor appointment this morning, fatigue kept me in bed the rest of the day, it's a bitch not having many muscles, including the ones that keep you breathing. We found an adjustable bed used on the classifieds to buy, so we got it yesterday, so I need to keep the upper part of my body elevated to be able to breathe.
Maybe all that lack of sleep is taking it's toll :( I relish sleep in that it's often an escape from pain, but when I get out of bed it feels like my sciatica could not be worse. Some mornings I can barely make it to the toilet w/o taking a break. The spinal cord stimulator helps quite a bit tho.

There seems to be a theme developing on this thread!

Continuing laundry renovation. My wife yesterday put together, under supervision, the base cabinet for the sink. Today I dug around in the garage and found the tiles for floor and wall that were left over from the build back in '98. I have a couple of small locations I need to patch. I dug the wet saw out while I was at it.
View attachment 445224

Considering I am stuck in isolation for two weeks I seem to be able to find just about anything I need at home! :)
Oof, just hearing about the tile work makes my back hurt lol

Maybe all that lack of sleep is taking it's toll :( I relish sleep in that it's often an escape from pain, but when I get out of bed it feels like my sciatica could not be worse. Some mornings I can barely make it to the toilet w/o taking a break. The spinal cord stimulator helps quite a bit tho.
"getting old ain't for sissies"- Betty Davis

"getting old ain't for sissies"- Betty Davis
"Lucky" for me, I've been generally about 20 years ahead of my peers in terms of my body's deterioration. I just turned 45 and I've had 20 surgeries, one of which was a total knee replacement. I mean, I don't mind being an overachiever, but I thought my 20th was at least going to get me 10% off the next one. What a rip off ;)

Wow. Sorry to hear.

My own personal experience is that everything up to 50 is fine. After that the rot sets in.
I really started falling apart at about 30, so that tracks perfectly :/ all but 1 out of 20 have been muscoskeletal in nature so I'm really hauling *ass. The only thing that hasn't gone to crap so far is my hearing. Knock on wood.

We are simply decaying biological organisms, especially after the age of 40, everyone deteriorates. NO ONE makes it out alive. Like the "Fight Club" quote, " on a fine enough timeline, the survival rate is still zero"

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."
There's no excuse for lazing a plane and those that do should face the consequences.
Just to be clear, I quite agree that stupidity is not an excuse. At best, lack of malice mitigates, a little, what constitutes just punishment.

Went to Palm Beach and stood on the beach and said “yep, that’s a lot of water”. Then drove around a bit. Took her truck through a car wash to wash off the road salt from the trip down. Have to be at the airport a little before 9am tomorrow, so mini vacation is almost over. 🙁

Last edited:
Last day of vacation. Car wash, oil change, groceries, found and bought a 16 piece set of Forstner bits at 33% the original price (partly for rocketry of course). Got up to speed in the news.

Went to Palm Beach and stood on the beach and said “yep, that’s a lot of water”. Then drove around a bit. Took her truck through a car wash to wash off the road salt from the trip down. Have tone at the airport a little before 9am tomorrow, so mini vacation is almost over. 🙁
So for you is it a one way trip by truck? Flying back home?

Forgot to add that today we went to the Panther Ridge Conservation Center for a little tour. While not as exciting as a zoo, still interesting and informative.

Dropped off noisy breathing/oxygen machine to the sleep center and got another one that only makes half a little noise that my current one did, so while we were there we noticed a really small compact unit and I had the lady turn it on and it was hard to even hear that it was on, so we are going to get my lung doctor to get one of those for me.
Dropped off my one piece G Loomis spinning rod over to my longtime fishing buddy so that he could put it to use since I'll likely never go fishing again in my condition, and now that I have a lifetime fishing license of all things.
Dropped off my iMac computer that apparently has a failing hard drive as it sits and spins for 20 minutes before it will do something that you clicked on so I took it to the You Break I Fix place, and they are going to install a new hard drive in it.
Even though having a mask on. breathing the cold air sent me into bronchial spasms so I thought it was going to be the end, or at least it feels like that it's going to be the end of the world for me when I have major problems taking air into the lungs, gasping for air is a terrible thing to experience.... so now I am back at home in bed trying to recuperate as even my chest is sore now.

My second favorite purportedly true radio interaction was a few years ago when the new Queen Elizabeth cruise ship ran aground on the approach to New York:

QE Captain (in a clipped British accent probably learned in the Royal Navy): US Coast Guard, US Coast Guard, this is the M/V Queen Elizabeth. We have run aground in Long Island Sound, GPS coordinates XXXX YYYYY.
USCG Duty Radio Officer (sounding like a 19 year old just out of a cornfield): You're shitting me!

My absolute favorite is true, and is transcribed here, from when the Costa Concordia ran aground and sank in 2012. I can only imagine the Italian Coast Guard captain's face as he was chewing out the cruise ship captain.

My absolute favorite is true, and is transcribed here, from when the Costa Concordia ran aground and sank in 2012. I can only imagine the Italian Coast Guard captain's face as he was chewing out the cruise ship captain.
There's a somewhat important detail I don't remember: did Schettino go to jail over this? Is he still there?

There's a somewhat important detail I don't remember: did Schettino go to jail over this? Is he still there?
He was sentenced to 16 years, and started serving time in 2017 after his legal appeals failed.

Back