What I did today -instead- of Rocketry.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Watched the rain.

196mm (7.7") in the last week.

94mm (3.7") yesterday.

Tanks all overflowing. Our usual 4WD only driveway is a creek.

Still, the water is outside the house, not inside, so that's a plus. Drove down the ridge early this morning and spoke to some locals who are sandbagging with another week's rain forecast.

Summer in the sub-tropics! Seriously, we love it here.

after I got frustrated trying to put the rail buttons on and that were not the proper size to put over with steel well nut post, I gave up and ate pizza and went back to the garage to smoke a bowl of pipe tobacco with my buddy at the man cave

Was there sauce on the pedals?

I spent the 1982-82 school year in St. Louis. The best pizza we could get was Domino's (remember, that's early '80s Domino's). With the the only other place to get pizza easily, it didn't matter if you left the crust on the cardboard, because you really couldn't tell the difference anyway.
OMG St Louis pizza. Family went to St. L. one summer. Ordered St L. style pizza. I don't mean to offend anyone from that geographic area but ye gods and little fishes, that stuff was VILE! Is that some sort of imitation velveeta on top? Not even real velveeta? Is the crust supposed to be that underdone, is that part of the genre? What in the name of the Flying Spaghetti Monster is in that sauce?

We'd each eaten a few bites from a slice. Looked at each other. "How about McDonalds?" I asked. Immediate response: uneaten pizza thrown into trashcan and the ladies fight to see who gets the seat by the door of the van.

Best -- Terry

I had St Louis style pizza once while visiting my sister. The crust was done, but I'm not a fan of cracker thin crust. I didn't like the provel cheese either. Chicago definitely has better pizza (deep dish or tavern style ) and baseball.

@prfesser, I'M from that area. That "imitation velveeta" as You referred to it is called "Provell" and it is a cut WAY above velveeta. It is so popular, it is now used on pizza down in New Orleans. Yes, the crust IS floppy UNLESS You request otherwise. Provell is made of cheddar, swiss and provelone. Invented in 1947 by Tony Costa of Costa Grocery and is now owned by Kraft, it was created in St. Louis in the "Dago Hill" area of the city. (BTW, Dago Hill is what it is called, or also just "The Hill" in St. Louis. Most probably, Your pizza was an "Imo's". Too bad that "Pino's Pizza" had gone out of business by the time You visited. Now that was a REALLY GREAT St. Louis pizza!!!!! BTW, prfesser, I'm NOT offended by Your dislike of it. It's not for everyone. More for Lady J and I!!!LOL! Cheers!!!!

Watched the rain.

196mm (7.7") in the last week.

94mm (3.7") yesterday.

Tanks all overflowing. Our usual 4WD only driveway is a creek.

Still, the water is outside the house, not inside, so that's a plus. Drove down the ridge early this morning and spoke to some locals who are sandbagging with another week's rain forecast.

Summer in the sub-tropics! Seriously, we love it here.
And we haven't had any measurable rain in 236 days now. Weather must have covid. It's nuts all over the world.

And we haven't had any measurable rain in 236 days now. Weather must have covid. It's nuts all over the world.

Oh, this isn't nuts, it a standard sub-tropical Summer. Three years ago we caught the edge of a cyclone. That was nuts.

Nuts was the bushfires last year when we had no Summer rains. Almost wiped out half the state. :mad:

If I could send you 400mm or so I certainly would. Pray to your favourite deity and I'll do the same. :)

Zillow-shopped for houses in places we might one day want to live. (We still have no idea where that is.)

Last edited:
Imo's Pizza is what we had. I don’t regret trying it, but it is a style I probably wouldn't get again. I prefer Chicago deep dish or a neopolitan style pie.
Mine wasn't Imo's or Pino's. I was at Wash U, and the choices were Domino's or some on campus garbage.

I grew up in what I call "the pizza triangle", which is from The Bronx to Queens to Trenton. Outside of that one can get good pizza, but the further away the harder it is to find. Chicago pizza is a whole other thin, and one day I'll have to go to Chicago to have it made right, 'cause the stuff at Pizzaria Uno is not good, but I know does not do the style justice.

Provelle sounds like it'd be fine on a sandwich, but it's got no business being on a pizza. Pizza is made with mozzarella. Period. You may sprinkle on some parmesan at the table if you like.

It sounds like pizza wars are the next epoxy wars here on TRF... 😀

Personally, I am very ecumenical about pizza. My favorite is the from-scratch pies my wife makes though.

Got my daughter ready for online school. Just finished hitting the weights(curls)

I have lived my whole life in the NJ/NY area, so I am conditioned to most appreciate thin-crust pizza.

That said, New Haven has the best pizza. Take your pick, Sally's or Frank Pepe. I've had what I consider to be equally good pizza at the Frank Pepe in West Hartford, although some claim it's not the same if it doesn't come out of the original oven on Wooster St.

What Chicago has... it may be good, but I'm reluctant to call it "pizza". It's really a different food. Yes I've been there and had it. Not my cup of tea, but I don't begrudge Chicagoans their love of their home-town food. Likewise, if Cincinnatians (?) can actually enjoy Skyline Chili that's their business. :)

Sometime back in the bronze age, I was in California for grad school for a year... couldn't find any good pizza. One day, I asked someone if there was anywhere I could get good pizza. They said "Domino's". I said "No, *good* pizza". They said "What's wrong with Domino's?" Thus ended my search for pizza in CA (I imagine the situation is somewhat better nowadays). Also couldn't find a decent bagel to save my life, but that's another story...

1.8L Turbo?
This is a 9A 2.0 16v from a MK2 GTI. It's bored .020 over, has Wiseco 11:1 pistons, forged H beam rods and is getting megasquirted and going in my 79 Rabbit.

I do love the 1.8s though, I have owned three 1.8t B5 Audis. Even managed to shoehorn my 7.5" Iris in one, haha.

Braden

Avoided a near death experience (or how I have come to HATE my Ford Focus wagon car.) what an utter piece of vile excrement this is, that Ford has put out.

Went to switch cars in the drive way. drove the Focus out. Then drive the Yaris out. then went to drive the focus back in...

Hop in, press the brake pedal, start the car, and I feel a 'pop' on the brake pedal. Pedal goes straight the floor with a bit of a 'squish' feel.. I do get it into the driveway, but with no brakes. Main cylinder or caliper piston. Yup, puddle under passenger front wheel, very likely the caliper piston blown.

Jack up the car (in the freezing rain we are getting - mild, but wet) and attempt to take the wheel off for a better / closer inspection. Wheel is seized on; won't come off regardless of how hard I hit it. (It was in for its 'winter tune up & inspection a month ago) give up..

for comparison (our two cars):
2008 Ford Focus wagon, 127-somethign KM on it
2010 Toyota Yaris 268-somethign KM on it

both go in for regular maintenance & tune ups.
Yaris: comfortable pushing to 150kmph, long distances not a worry
Ford: bouncy & shaky ride at any speed. I won't trust it anywhere outside the city / on highways.

Yaris has had an axle changes, usual brake work, and I believe both front tables have been changed. Oh, and I did have to change the cable for the gas cap..

Ford has had:
2 alternators, 2 batteries, onto our 2nd set of tables, various blown fuses, ignition tumbler repaired / replaced (twice in about a month) one rear door never locks, rear lift gate catch is finnicky in the winter, re-done the wiring in between the rear lift gate door.. It's lost both rear wheel well liners, and it's gas cap hatch has lost it's spring, so it's always open.. Oh, and it's developed a severe engine vibration, that things are likely to start rattling off!!! (Certain engine RPMs send harmonics thru the car..)

The wife likes the wagon format, as it suits her job (she's a dog walker, and can get 6-8 dogs in it, separated into smaller groups) Minivans or SUVs just don't have the room / space this thing does. I guess this was a limited time car: Ford developed it for lease to service companies, and with an expected lifespan of about 3-5 years..

This is our 2nd Focus, and this is by far the worst car I've ever owned. (First one was great!)

I guess Santa got my wish: "A new car"
Starting to look at new cars, and staying away from anything 'North American'

@jqavin, Believe it or not, it is a VERY popular cheese for pizzas in both St. Louis and New Orleans! And as far as sandwiches...... let's just say You are correctomundo!!!!! It is an EXCELLENT cheese!!!!! Lady J and I order a 5 lb block every other month from IMO's.

Now, please, back to our regularly scheduled thread. Thanks for everyone's input! Cheers

Pulled the door panel off the drivers side on my 1998 GMC Sierra. It's been getting harder to open, so I thought I would take a look. Found that the cast metal interior handle was cracked at a pivot point, and failed as I was removing it. Figuring it was going to be impossible to find one unless I got lucky, took it to Sharon for a google search. 15 minutes later had it ordered for $20!
I can remember back when I worked for a glass company, replacing windshields and doing door and back glass repairs, it could take days, even weeks to find a part. My how times have changed.
This is our old truck named "Grosser", which has been to many a rocket launch, but has been replaced by a newer 2018 GMC Sierra. We plan to use it again next year when we check out some launches in Colorado, so I have a few "fix 'em up" projects to work on this winter.

Painting Bathrooms and Bedrooms... cold and snowy outside.

And in regard to the pizza discussion... since we live in the sticks there really aren't any good choices so I've been making our own thin crust pizza. The key is to cook the crust plain first at 475 - 500 F for about 5 minutes. Then add toppings and cook for another 5 minutes. I just buy Kroger or Walmart pizza crust mix. Easy Peezy.

Pulled the door panel off the drivers side on my 1998 GMC Sierra.... This is our old truck named "Grosser"

1998... Old? My 1927 Ford roadster pickup begs to differ.. ☺

000_0034.jpg

Last edited:
I've again learned the old adage: "Want it done right? Do it yourself". Finding skilled tradesmen with a good work ethic is pretty much unobtanium in today's "environment".

We've had a fair amount of work done on our house. I think we've had exactly one contractor that cleaned up after themselves. I can't really argue with the work the others have done, but having a small pile of dropped bolts on the deck is kind of a pisser.

Avoided a near death experience (or how I have come to HATE my Ford Focus wagon car.) what an utter piece of vile excrement this is, that Ford has put out.

Went to switch cars in the drive way. drove the Focus out. Then drive the Yaris out. then went to drive the focus back in...

Hop in, press the brake pedal, start the car, and I feel a 'pop' on the brake pedal. Pedal goes straight the floor with a bit of a 'squish' feel.. I do get it into the driveway, but with no brakes. Main cylinder or caliper piston. Yup, puddle under passenger front wheel, very likely the caliper piston blown.

Jack up the car (in the freezing rain we are getting - mild, but wet) and attempt to take the wheel off for a better / closer inspection. Wheel is seized on; won't come off regardless of how hard I hit it. (It was in for its 'winter tune up & inspection a month ago) give up..

for comparison (our two cars):
2008 Ford Focus wagon, 127-somethign KM on it
2010 Toyota Yaris 268-somethign KM on it

both go in for regular maintenance & tune ups.
Yaris: comfortable pushing to 150kmph, long distances not a worry
Ford: bouncy & shaky ride at any speed. I won't trust it anywhere outside the city / on highways.

Yaris has had an axle changes, usual brake work, and I believe both front tables have been changed. Oh, and I did have to change the cable for the gas cap..

Ford has had:
2 alternators, 2 batteries, onto our 2nd set of tables, various blown fuses, ignition tumbler repaired / replaced (twice in about a month) one rear door never locks, rear lift gate catch is finnicky in the winter, re-done the wiring in between the rear lift gate door.. It's lost both rear wheel well liners, and it's gas cap hatch has lost it's spring, so it's always open.. Oh, and it's developed a severe engine vibration, that things are likely to start rattling off!!! (Certain engine RPMs send harmonics thru the car..)

The wife likes the wagon format, as it suits her job (she's a dog walker, and can get 6-8 dogs in it, separated into smaller groups) Minivans or SUVs just don't have the room / space this thing does. I guess this was a limited time car: Ford developed it for lease to service companies, and with an expected lifespan of about 3-5 years..

This is our 2nd Focus, and this is by far the worst car I've ever owned. (First one was great!)

I guess Santa got my wish: "A new car"
Starting to look at new cars, and staying away from anything 'North American'
@dr wogz Scarf up a VW diesel Sportwagen. The ones that were recalled have been made pollution control positive now. I have a 2005 VW Golf TDI (diesel) with 240,000 miles (386,000 km)
and it still runs great. Normal wear & tear stuff like brakes, struts, timing belt, but it doesn't burn a drop of oil. I live in NW Wisconsin and it starts at -30F with no trouble. And it gets 40+ MPG. The Sportwagen has lots of room in it and handles really well.

1998... Old? My 1927 Ford roadster pickup begs to differ.. ☺

View attachment 442383

You're being generous calling that a pickup. Hot rod would be more appropriate. But as Harrison Ford would say, "It's not the years, it's the mileage." Just guessing, but your roadster might not even have an odometer in it.
Nice looking ride though.

I agree about the "if you want it done right" philosophy, but I'm just not sure about my next little project. The sending unit on top of our main gas tank is wonky, but to repair/replace it, I have to drop a 26 gallon steel tank with at least some gas in it. Not looking forward to that, but the estimate is around $600, and it might just need some contact cleaner to make it work again....

Back