What I did today -instead- of Rocketry.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually went into the office to take some measurements. Parts for new design finally arrived. And if it's one things I've learned over the years: Downloaded CAD files from the supplier will be out of spec at the worst possible time and/or in the worst possible dimension / direction..

(McMaster is sometimes faulty too!!)

Fought with Office, Word, and WordPerfect, trying to get a 300 page document to convert to PDF. So far it's been marginally successful. I finally have a version that I can edit, sorta...but I have to redo every single figure, every footnote, every font throughout. Am starting to think I may have to buy a second computer for Word. I hate MS with a passion, it is the devil's grandspawn. :(

Fought with Office, Word, and WordPerfect, trying to get a 300 page document to convert to PDF. So far it's been marginally successful. I finally have a version that I can edit, sorta...but I have to redo every single figure, every footnote, every font throughout. Am starting to think I may have to buy a second computer for Word. I hate MS with a passion, it is the devil's grandspawn. :(

Have you tried Open Office? It opens MS Word docs and spreadsheets and things. I just use it because I'm too cheap to buy the MS options. Don't know if it works better or worse.
Just throwin it out there...

Window shopped for engines for a one-day Factory Five Roadster (Cobra replica) build. The 580hp 5.2L Coyote seems like it'd be awesome in that 2200-2400lb car...except that the GT500 760hp motor is rumored to have a crate version soon. Seems like 760hp should go through about one set of rear tires per weekend.

Have you tried Open Office? It opens MS Word docs and spreadsheets and things. I just use it because I'm too cheap to buy the MS options. Don't know if it works better or worse.
Just throwin it out there...
I tried Libre Office which is (I think) the newer name or something. Anyway, there was some compatibility issue, I don't remember what it was. When I tried WordPerfect the first time, I discovered that "compatible" means "all the text and maybe some of the formatting shows up. And most formatting is wrong and screwy."

In WordPerfect all text was boldfaced, some was in various colors, text boxes were all over the place, and most of the figures/photos didn't show up at all. That's why I pasted the plain text from the Word document into WordPerfect. It will be easier to redo formatting, figures, etc. from completely clean text than it will to find and delete all the goofy formatting...then go back and redo formatting, figures, etc.

Best -- Terry
...who feels that everything after Windows XP was downhill...

Started a restoration project...

DSCF8757 (FILEminimizer).JPG

DSCF8759 (FILEminimizer).JPG

An old telephone extension bell I scored at a farm sale. Every farm used to have one of these to hear your phone ring when you were out milking or whatever. They are LOUD. Some rewiring needed, but should be a fun project.

Found this under the house...

The snakes are definitely out. This Diamond Python skin is a full 2.2 metres (7.2 feet) lightly stretched. Not a full skin, the rest is still jammed in the rafters where she decided to shed. All up length would be slightly short of 3 metres (9.85 feet). Nice to have help with rodent control.

DSCF8767 (FILEminimizer).JPG

DSCF8768 (FILEminimizer).JPG

Attachments

• DSCF8758.JPG
    DSCF8758.JPG
    287.3 KB · Views: 6
  • DSCF8758 (FILEminimizer).JPG
    DSCF8758 (FILEminimizer).JPG
    247.4 KB · Views: 5
Fought with Office, Word, and WordPerfect, trying to get a 300 page document to convert to PDF.
Wait, what? Converting to PDF or converting from PDF? The troubles you're describing sound typical for converting from, but would be very surprising for converting to.

Converting from is a big hassle more often than not, whatever tool you use for it. Converting to is as easy as changing the file type in the Save As dialog.

Last edited:
Wait, what? Converting to PDF or converting from PDF? The troubles you're describing sound typical for converting from, but would be very surprising for converting to.

Converting from is a big hassle more often than not, whatever tool you use for it. Converting to is as easy as changing the file type in the Save As dialog.
Or using the print function and using a PDF renderer. Most office packages have "print to PDF" now.

Converting to PDF is only easy when you don't get an error page instead of a PDF...every freaking time...even when that document is plain-text. And even when using Adobe Acrobat Professional to (attempt to) do the job. I think my version of MS Office 2019 is corrupted, or the file itself is corrupted.:mad:

Started a restoration project...
You've probably already seen Hand Tool Rescue on YouTube but for those who haven't...the guy is from Canada, rarely says anything, knows how to put together a video that doesn't have five-minute sections of watching the same thing from different angles, and is actually pretty funny.

Best -- Terry

You've probably already seen Hand Tool Rescue on YouTube but for those who haven't...the guy is from Canada, rarely says anything, knows how to put together a video that doesn't have five-minute sections of watching the same thing from different angles, and is actually pretty funny.

Haven't seen it, but I will now! Lots of interesting things emerge from the ground on the farm after a bit of rain. Just how many tools did the previous owners lose?

I think rats are pretty much the same the world over!

Given the general impression that every animal in Australia can kill you. I for one imagine an Australian rat as standing 4ft tall at the shoulder, walking on two legs, wearing a motorcycle jacket, carrying a big knife, and it is of course, highly venomous for some reason.

Given the general impression that every animal in Australia can kill you. I for one imagine an Australian rat as standing 4ft tall at the shoulder, walking on two legs, wearing a motorcycle jacket, carrying a big knife, and it is of course, highly venomous for some reason.

Oh, you mean a field mouse. 🤣

Played in the rain, sort of. Sub-tropical Summer storms forecast for all this week. We got 50mm (2") of rain the last 24/24 with the same forecast for the next six days. Went to town and stocked up on supplies in case the access roads get flooded (pretty common). All five house water tanks are now full, including the one I repaired the stand for on Friday. Talk about timing...

Re-discovered that when working with a mini-Mjolnir and you think "You know, I should do this differently so I don't hit my hand," you should do it differently right away. Nailed my hand on the next blow. It'll heal up in a few days, but my grip strength on my left hand is now very limited.

In another project entirely, started working on a Christmas present that includes 7.5 lbs of stainless steel washers.

Re-discovered that when working with a mini-Mjolnir and you think "You know, I should do this differently so I don't hit my hand," you should do it differently right away. Nailed my hand on the next blow. It'll heal up in a few days, but my grip strength on my left hand is now very limited.

In another project entirely, started working on a Christmas present that includes 7.5 lbs of stainless steel washers.
@boatgeek Been there, done that.

What motor will you use? Electronics? I recently got into RC and love to learn more about it.
This is my first foray into electric control line, so I’m no expert at this. This is the set up I got from Russell at okieair.com. There’s a timer that controls the flight time and percent speed signal to the ESC / electronic speed control. 3D printed motor mount for the BadAss 2814 motor. Still need to get the Lipo batteries.
C759397E-C4B5-4835-8836-0B495EB4BDC1.jpeg72D970E9-1B96-46C6-8095-E998FD4BA791.jpeg

I've got 2 things running today: I'm building a full size replica of the Man from UNCLE original "carbine" parts to go with the full size 194 Mauser pistol squirt gun to hang on the wall and I'm working on building the neckring for the spacesuit costume that I'm working on. Oh, a third thing: I'm also watching Rugby. Cheers!

Never leave a pizza on the cardboard! Trust me, I know the results. ;) What kind of pizza was it? I'll avoid them.

Very local stuff. You should be safe.

Today, I used a popsicle stick to remove chunks of hardened grease from the two small cog wheels on my commuter bicycle’s derailleur. Quite impressive what those can pick up. Probably did between 500 and 1000 km since June.

Was there sauce on the pedals?

I spent the 1982-82 school year in St. Louis. The best pizza we could get was Domino's (remember, that's early '80s Domino's). With the the only other place to get pizza easily, it didn't matter if you left the crust on the cardboard, because you really couldn't tell the difference anyway.

Back