What I did today -instead- of Rocketry.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Try Gunbroker. If your patient you can still get a fair price. Just watch out for a high shipping price. Good Luck.
I try to support my local stores and ranges as much as I can. I'm ok for the next several months but if this shortage continues past spring I'll have to be selective in what I take to the range. 9mm and .40 stocks are running low but still have lots of .17HMR, .22LR, .380, .45, .223, .308, 7.62x54R, 20Ga and 12Ga

Finally got my application for RealID drivers license approved. Almost got stopped because the screening gal didn't realize that my "tax ID" on the 1099 form was in fact my SS#.

Funny: I had several such documents stapled together. She looked at the last one and said, "Oh, okay, this one has your social". I am not sure she could read as it was my wife's SSN.

It's Kentucky. I am rarely surprised.

Rocket related: Went to new Menards in Paducah. It's YUUUUGE!! And they have 1/4" baltic birch in 4x8 sheets. Do you know just how many rocket fins and centering rings I can make from a single sheet?!?!?!?!?:)
:D

[T]hey have 1/4" baltic birch in 4x8 sheets. Do you know just how many rocket fins and centering rings I can make from a single sheet?!?!?!?!?:)
Well, let's see. 29 to 75 mm rings mumble mumble; 6 to 16 in² fins mumble; bulkheads pencil scratch; carry the three scratch scratch; divide by the square root of tree;

And thee answer is: Lots!

Issued about 90 sheets of structural drawings for a deck cargo barge roughly the size of a football field. When it's done, it will take containerized cargo from Honolulu to the outlying Hawaiian islands. No pictures, but they'd be boring anyway. 😀

Issued about 90 sheets of structural drawings for a deck cargo barge roughly the size of a football field. When it's done, it will take containerized cargo from Honolulu to the outlying Hawaiian islands. No pictures, but they'd be boring anyway. 😀
So, given the intersection of marine and HPR requirements, how big a barge do I need to launch everything up to K/L? :-D

So, given the intersection of marine and HPR requirements, how big a barge do I need to launch everything up to K/L? :-D

You could do that on this barge no problem. Put the launch pad on the stern, unroll your wires to your prep tables under the breakwater, and you've easily got the required 300 feet standoff for K/L. If you have a wireless controller, I'd be pretty happy with a 80x30 or so barge for launching anything up to O as long as the water's not too rough. You'd just need to unspool enough tow wire from the tug to give you the right standoff distance.

Not to me.

Right now it's a pile of paper. Once it gets under construction, I'll post back. In about 18-24 months, I hope to ride it on the launch. For reference, here's a video about barge construction from the shipyard we're working for. The barge featured starting at around 9:20 is pretty close to a sistership to the barge we're designing now.

Worked up enthusiasm to repair my tubeless MTB tyre that went flat last week. Definite PITA to repair compared to tubed the wheel. Job done properly now, not like the bike shop that likely had the apprentice put it together in the first place. It was a directional tyre and on the wrong way around.

Working through the combinations on a bike lock I have forgotten the combo for. Cat sitting on my lap keeping me company.

Programmed the new “SS” machine for the first time at work. The rapid feeds and tool changes are pretty wild, especially when the spindles flying towards the table. 😅

So, a really big fancy box.. :D

Love 'big steel'.. and I think 1/4" plate is big!

worked on getting the 8 channel audio mixer installed for the HAM radios and PC stereo use in my "HAM closet"

enjoyed watching my wife putting great effort to cross my eyes, that's always the highlight of the week.

worked on the shelving re-arrangement for the new audio rack which will replace the cheap and wobbly one I currently have.

Got zero sleep last night, so today I will be wiped out.

So, a really big fancy box.. :D

Love 'big steel'.. and I think 1/4" plate is big!
That’s pretty much it, though it does have a megawatt of generating capacity on board to run refrigerated containers, though only about 400 kW will be used at a time. I don’t think we have any 1/4” structural steel on this one—too thin! The main deck is all 31/32” steel (not 1” for regulatory reasons), and the padeyes for the towing shackles are made from 3” plate.

I harvested my Ghost Pepper, yes just the one. I started it from seed this Spring and had plenty of buds. The one plant only grew 2 fruit to maturity and one was moldy when I cut it open. I ended up saving the seeds for next year and freezing the pepper that was good while I think how to cook it. I planned on smoking the peppers dry and grinding it into powder for a smokey Nashville Hot Chicken, but didn't get enough to make it worth the effort. I did try a sliced ring, after all, I don't think I should grow something without eating it. It made me cough and made my eyes water immediately. It took a good half-hour for the burn to dissipate.

I also pruned the plant down to try and keep it alive and dormant over the Winter. Hopefully it survived and I can compare it to the 2nd generation plants next Summer.

PSX_20201030_220054.jpg

Battled more audio problems with the POS Pioneer Elite receiver in the ham radio/pc system. I'm tempted to just take it to the dumpster.

I harvested my Ghost Pepper, yes just the one. I started it from seed this Spring and had plenty of buds. The one plant only grew 2 fruit to maturity and one was moldy when I cut it open. I ended up saving the seeds for next year and freezing the pepper that was good while I think how to cook it. I planned on smoking the peppers dry and grinding it into powder for a smokey Nashville Hot Chicken, but didn't get enough to make it worth the effort. I did try a sliced ring, after all, I don't think I should grow something without eating it. It made me cough and made my eyes water immediately. It took a good half-hour for the burn to dissipate.

I also pruned the plant down to try and keep it alive and dormant over the Winter. Hopefully it survived and I can compare it to the 2nd generation plants next Summer.

View attachment 436752

Only a half hour for the burn to recede....you will get a second chance in the next 12-24 hours....🤣

Bad weather warning here. Got up on the roof to check stuff out, prepped torches and food/water availability (no power = no water). Now a warning of possible tornado. o_O Checked the calendar, not April 1st. Wind is picking up though; lost the weather station off its mast. Fun times my friends, fun times.

Back