What I did today -instead- of Rocketry.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As long as the subject is pies, here is the best recipe I've ever found for pie crust. From the TV show "Milk Street".
If your crust is crumbly or tough, give this one a try. It's a little more work than the usual recipes, but worth it.
That is an interesting recipe. I'm always partial (flavor-wise) to butter crusts, although they can be a bit challenging if you don't have a good reliable cold surface to roll it out on.

Pie crusts can be an adventure, even after you successfully roll them out and get them into the pan. I have a pumpkin pie recipe I'm partial to (https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/the-ultimate-pumpkin-pie-826), it's a little different but really good, with a butter crust. One day I was making one, and my first crust just wouldn't roll out. After battling with it for a while, I got so angry and frustrated that I violently threw it into the garbage as hard as I could. Oaths were uttered (I was alone, so I was not holding back).

After I calmed down, my second crust went much better, and then I decided to get a little fancy with the edge of the crust (usually I just press the edges with a fork, and that's fine). I made a good crust, had it in the pie plate, and spent a good bit of effort sculpting a beautiful (for me, anyway) edge. Put it in the oven to blind bake.

When I went to check on it, the edge had completely melted, slopped all over edges of the pie plate and falling in chunks to the bottom of the oven. Fortunately I had already expended most of my anger, and just resigned myself to trimming off the edges and letting whatever remains just stay there.

I think I simply worked it too much while sculpting, and possibly (can't remember) didn't refrigerate or freeze it sufficiently afterwards to re-harden the butter. But man, what a frustrating experience.

Fortunately, the resulting pie was just as delicious as ever, just not too easy on the eyes. Call it a 10-foot crust job. :)

Pie crust is one of the few things that I very rarely attempt to make for myself, and just buy instead. I've done it a small number of times, usually with, well, let's say, results that don't suck. The other things that I rarely do are the ones that are too much of a pain in the ass to bother with. Pie crust is, off the top of my head, the only thing that I buy because I can't do it myself as well or better.

Pie crust is one of the few things that I very rarely attempt to make for myself, and just buy instead. I've done it a small number of times, usually with, well, let's say, results that don't suck. The other things that I rarely do are the ones that are too much of a pain in the ass to bother with. Pie crust is, off the top of my head, the only thing that I buy because I can't do it myself as well or better.
I have used purchased crusts on many an occasion, and they are fine. But they are (almost?) never butter crusts. Also, a successful pie crust IMHO greatly adds to the satisfaction.

But I will wolf down the resulting pie with equal enthusiasm either way. :)

Finished cleaning up my little Taig lathe. Some parts got thrown out when my lab was cleared out (NOT by me) 🤬 so I ordered a new belt and tailstock.

When I'm done with a few projects on it, I may post it for sale on Ebay.

WARNING: MOVIE SPOILERS! .
Watched the movie "Cube". Also watched "I Spit on Your Grave" last week.
Cube: I enjoyed it up to the end. Loose ends :mad:! Why did that particular guy survive? Who built the thing? (the guy in the movie built the shell, not the cubes) What was the purpose of the entire construction? Even most of the stupid slasher movies explain most of the "whys"! Maybe there are better explanations in the sequel and prequel, but I don't want to sit through two hours of a movie that doesn't explain some basics.

I Spit on Your Grave: Only the second time I've watched a movie (just a few scenes but that was more than enough) that actually made me gag. Beware! FWIW the first movie that had that honor was a couple of scenes from "The Fly".

I've watched The Cube and yes, they're missing the why. Never really bugged me but when I watched it, it was mostly for time filler on a late night when I couldn't sleep.

Nailed 4 definite bunny hops with my hybrid bike, including one from road pavement to a 1-inch high sidewalk, and one over an annoying transition to a small bridge on a bike path. HECK YEAH! Take THAT teenage self!

Drove a few hundred miles to get some of my kids to a sailboat race. Sailed with my other kids in another regatta in another city. Drove a few hundred miles to another city to pick up another boat - this one is like the J motor of sailboats, so fast.

So yeah, great weekend!

As promised earlier, bacon wrapped hot dogs with cream cheese and cowboy candy. Maybe I'll open a food truck when I retire.

View attachment 435810

I hate you so very, very much right now.

In the last 5 months: 60 lbs gone as of today, over 1000 miles walked, but no cowboy candy consumed.

I hate you so very, very much right now.

In the last 5 months: 60 lbs gone as of today, over 1000 miles walked, but no cowboy candy consumed.

That's probably the last of my junk food for a while. I could stand to loose 20-30lbs myslef over the next several months and I don't bike as much in the Winter to keep the calories in check.

Drove a few hundred miles to get some of my kids to a sailboat race. Sailed with my other kids in another regatta in another city. Drove a few hundred miles to another city to pick up another boat - this one is like the J motor of sailboats, so fast.

So yeah, great weekend!

Can you go into a bit of detail? I've raced in a Sabot (Pram) when I was a pre-teen, then moved onto Dad's Laser, then we were a pretty good team in the Albacore, and finally a friend & I had a Fireball (You want fast?!!). I don't really sail anymore, but dad has transitioned to a keel boat (Mirage) but I still prefer a dingy!

This may be one of my last posts for a while. This has been a hot, dry summer and fall in Colorado and a record forest fire season.
Launching rockets is prohibited. I already have unlaunced rockets stuck in every available nook and cranny. No point in making more.
Last spring I decided that I'd like a bicycle that I don't already have, and I have a bunch. After an exhaustive search, I decided that the best thing to do is have a bike built up from a bare frame. I knew it wouldn't be cheap, but I'd end up with exactly what I want and not just what someone else thinks the public might want.. After some back and forth with one of the online bicycle and parts dealers, I have a bike ordered and will probably get it in a couple weeks or less.
I've also been looking at racing Go Karts, as opposed to the ones you might get at Tractor Supply. There happens to be a track not too far from where I live. I think the current annual membership is $650. I can get a really nice Go Kart for $5,000 or so, plus another $500+ for safety gear. So, let's say $6,000 total. Sounds like a lot, but compare that too a Harley or a ski boat, or even a year of downhill skiing and it doesn't look so bad. The bicycle I have ordered is going to cost $4,700, and you can pay two or three times that for a top quality bike. My idea is to just scream around the track, by myself, but I'm sure if I start thinking I'm pretty good, I'll want to test that against other drivers. As racing goes, Go Kart racing is about as safe as it gets. Speeds aren't super high, they are so wide and low to the ground they are really hard to flip. There are no walls or trees to run into. Neck injuries seem to be the most common thing, and a neck injury is pretty serious, but I'm not the sort of guy to push things too far. Anyway, I'm thinking about it.

A stray housecat found us while we were working at Wendy's mom's farm and we're taking care of her. Rail thin and has a damaged R. front leg and possible pneumonia. Super nice cat and living in my heated workshop in a pile of rags and packing paper under the drill press table. Been to the vets (SO is one) and if nothing else has a warm place, meds and pain relief, food, and friends. If she gets better will attempt adoption. With the injuries and lack of outside experience she wouldn't make it as a barn cat. Went to the pharmacy to get doxycycline for the lungs and they tried to charge me 75.00 for it since "Robert Cat" didn't have insurance. With insurance, this is a free to 3.00 a prescription medicine. Worked that through, hoping to find owner. No chip, no shots, and no spay. Didn't go to the pound - with the injury automatic euthanasia. Lots of work and some cost but she makes you feel good.

Cheers / Robert

IMG_20201019_094649.jpg

If I lived in Colorado, I'd spend more time biking and skiing than I already do. (Yes, we can ski in Indiana and Michigan) Life would be boring with only one hobby. Do rockets when you can and want to, do other things when the mood strikes.

Cleaned the bedroom (long overdue, especially when working from home), read a few chapters in a book on Grover Cleveland, played Wizard of Wor (did horribly), watched some "Classic Time Team," went through a session of ラジオ体操 ("radio taiso"), played "Tiny Wings," listened to a few episodes of "Event Horizon," went grocery shopping, studied "te form" Japanese verbs, read some French, communicated with friends in Europe, talked to my parents, the bird and my wife and pondered the meaning of it all (which didn't take too much time).

Maybe that's why I'm tired.

Latest posts

Back