What I did today -instead- of Rocketry.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Went to a pain management doctor today, then came back home to meet a guy who was bringing me a metal stereo rack for me to buy, and since he was delivering it, I went ahead and bought it....but naturally he falsely represented it as all of the shelves were not adjustable. now I have to take the shelves out and re-measure and locate them where I need them and drill into the tubular vertical supports and then pound in new threaded inserts in the proper places. going to overall be a real pain in the butt.

I made a patty melt using the cowboy candy I posted a picture of earlier. The sweet and sour heat is so good. Next up will be bacon wrapped dogs on pretzel rolls with cowboy candy and a little cream cheese. After that, back to healthy food before the holidays.

PSX_20201013_173620.jpg

Pain and fatigue stole most of the day. Got out and talked to some of the neighbors. Smoked a bowl of my favorite pipe tobacco from the Jersey Isles. Thought about lots of things, still thinking at 5:41 am

Ooooh, which one? I had started an IOM a few years ago. but with all my proj.. Oooh, a telescope!!

Hehe, I have that same problem with fun projects! This is a traditional 50/800 "Vintage Marblehead", I'm doing Bewitched from plans from the US Vintage Model Yacht Group. My basement was filling up with rockets, so I wanted to do a slow project that would take some time. Plus, this will be good for those windy days.

Does your IOM have a fiberglass hull, are you building it for racing?

mbeels

Oooh, fixed keel & all!! great for weedy lakes!

No, I only have the formers cut. It is to be a balsa planked hull (with a glass coat on top). This was from some 'free' online plans off the IOM site.. don't remember which one.. The intent was just something 'different' to build. There is a local "club" (just a group of guys really) and they've all settled on a particular boat. I have a 24" Victor Models "Blackhawk" that I've sailed a few times with them. I am looking at the new RG65 as this class seems to be growing. But, thanks to Covid.. I have the $$, but no one has stock, and no one is meeting up to sail / race..

I also have two 'Footies' started. One just need a sail & to be rigged.. But.. Oooh, model steam traction engines... :D

The idea was to keep with my sailing roots, yet not incur the expense of keeping a race-ready dingy.. (I've raced Lasers, Albacores and fireballs. I can crew for a Mirage 24 if I want..)

this popped up in my FB 'Marketplace' the other day..
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/761183254725318

No, I only have the formers cut. It is to be a balsa planked hull (with a glass coat on top).

Nice, that would have been my preferred construction method, but it isn't allowed by the Vintage Marblehead rules.

I have a 24" Victor Models "Blackhawk" that I've sailed a few times with them. I am looking at the new RG65 as this class seems to be growing. But, thanks to Covid.. I have the $$, but no one has stock, and no one is meeting up to sail / race..

I think I heard that Victor Models is no longer in business, and they were also the sole manufacturers of the Soling 1M class hulls. Those are really popular in the area I live. There is a local group that has been meeting up (while maintaining distance and wearing masks) to do some sailboat racing. My son and I went to watch, it was quite nice. I'm considering getting a one-design model (of some class) so I can sail something while I'm building this marblehead.

this popped up in my FB 'Marketplace' the other day..
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/761183254725318

That could be a good deal! With a little restoration work, that would be ready to sail!

I think I heard that Victor Models is no longer in business, and they were also the sole manufacturers of the Soling 1M class hulls. Those are really popular in the area I live. There is a local group that has been meeting up (while maintaining distance and wearing masks) to do some sailboat racing. My son and I went to watch, it was quite nice. I'm considering getting a one-design model (of some class) so I can sail something while I'm building this marblehead.

yeah, a local store (3 hr drive!!) was a prime boat & Victor models seller. They sold lots of (and still have parts for ) the Soling 1M. But they have moved to the DG 65 & DG 95 class. As mentioned these seem to be the newest flavours.. A proper IOM with a CF hull (and the cost!!!) is still a viable option.. But like a lot of things these days, no longer do you "build" your toy. Rockets, for the most part are still one of the only 'hobbies' where you need to build it before paying with it!!! R/C flying: all ARFs and foam. R/C Cars, all now prebuild, pre balanced and ... R/C boats, yup, most boats are prebuilt except a few kits (the only other hobby that still seems to have 'kits'..)

And yes, Victor models is long gone. Sad, but based on this one example I have, not surprised..

Working on a model sailboat project. This one is going to take a while.....

View attachment 434932
RC? I'm a big fan of sailboats. I'd hope to buy a yacht, maybe a Robert Perry design, for my retirement, but it looks like that won't happen.
I've been toying with the idea of buying a 3D printer to test out some of my boat design ideas. Can you make a 3D printed boat that floats?
I built a stich and glue model of a rowboat, from plans. Well, actually, is stitched the panels together, but never finished it. I only wanted to get a sense of how it would look full size. I enlarged the plans and used them for a template to cut out the panels.

I've been searching for my next road bike. Besides my two MTBs, I have a few road bikes, including a custom Davidson, a Canyon commuter and a CF Masi. I'm getting old. I want a flatbar road bike. I also want 1X12 gearing and fatter tires. Only a few bikes that fit the bill. The closest thing I've found is another Canyon for three grand. It's out of stock. Probably won't be able to get one till spring. Winter's almost here anyway.

It's almost 3:30 in the morning. I'm getting up and getting ready to go run an inventory for a NAPA North of Atlanta, in Cumming, GA. After this, only 5 inventories left before I start with the IRS. Can't get here soon enough!

Yes, it was originally designed for free sailing, but I'll put an R/C system in it.

Probably? There are also some plans for r/c sailboats built from sheet plywood that look pretty straightforward to assemble, like "Sloop Emma", or the Tippacanoe boat kits.
Before my brothers, sister and I were born, my dad took my mom to Europe and one of the things they brought back, possibly anticipating having kids, was a couple pond yachts, probably made in Germany. One of them has been sitting on my stereo speaker for many years. The sails and rigging are in need of repair, it's at least 75 years old.. I've only sailed it once. I attached it to a fishing rod so I would be able to retrieve it. Sailed nice.

Signed up for benefits at work. Yet again, work provided life insurance is an order of magnitude larger than they pay me so I'm worth more dead than alive.

As long as the subject is pies, here is the best recipe I've ever found for pie crust. From the TV show "Milk Street".
If your crust is crumbly or tough, give this one a try. It's a little more work than the usual recipes, but worth it.

Milk Street Pie Crust (for one 9" crust)
3 Tbs. water
2 tsp. cornstarch
1 cup plus 2 Tbs. (165 g) all-purpose flour
2 tsp. sugar
1/4 tsp. kosher salt
10 Tbs. (1 1/4 sticks or 150 g) cold salted butter, cut into 1/2-inch (12-mm) pieces
2 Tbs. sour cream

In a cup or small bowl, whisk together the water and cornstarch. Microwave until set, 30 to 40 seconds, stirring once halfway through. Chill in the freezer for 10 minutes.

In a food processor, combine the flour, sugar and salt, and process until combined, about 5 seconds. Add the chilled cornstarch mixture and pulse until the cornstarch mixture is evenly distributed, about 5 pulses. Add the butter and sour cream and process until the dough comes together and begins to collect around the blade, 20 to 30 seconds. Pat the dough into a 4 inch disk, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour and up to 2 days.

Preheat oven to 375°. On a well-floured work surface, roll the dough into a 12-inch circle; transfer to a 9-inch pie dish. Gently ease the dough into the dish by lifting the edges while pressing down into the corners of dish. Trim the edges, leaving a 1/2-inch overhang, then tuck the overhang under itself so the dough is flush with the rim of the plate. Crimp the edge and chill in the freezer for 15 minutes.

If the filling is to be baked, brush the bottom of the crust with beaten egg, to keep it from getting soggy; fill and bake according to your recipe. To blind bake, line the chilled crust with aluminum foil and fill with pie weights. Bake until the edges are light golden brown, about 25 minutes, rotating the dish halfway through the cooking time. Remove the foil and weights and bake until the bottom of the crust just begins to color, another 5 to 7 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack for 1 hour before filling. (Once baked and cooled, the crust can be wrapped in plastic wrap and kept at room temperature for up to 2 days.) Makes one 9-inch pie crust.

As long as the subject is pies, here is the best recipe I've ever found for pie crust. From the TV show "Milk Street".
If your crust is crumbly or tough, give this one a try. It's a little more work than the usual recipes, but worth it.

Milk Street Pie Crust (for one 9" crust)
3 Tbs. water
2 tsp. cornstarch
1 cup plus 2 Tbs. (165 g) all-purpose flour
2 tsp. sugar
1/4 tsp. kosher salt
10 Tbs. (1 1/4 sticks or 150 g) cold salted butter, cut into 1/2-inch (12-mm) pieces
2 Tbs. sour cream

In a cup or small bowl, whisk together the water and cornstarch. Microwave until set, 30 to 40 seconds, stirring once halfway through. Chill in the freezer for 10 minutes.

In a food processor, combine the flour, sugar and salt, and process until combined, about 5 seconds. Add the chilled cornstarch mixture and pulse until the cornstarch mixture is evenly distributed, about 5 pulses. Add the butter and sour cream and process until the dough comes together and begins to collect around the blade, 20 to 30 seconds. Pat the dough into a 4 inch disk, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour and up to 2 days.

Preheat oven to 375°. On a well-floured work surface, roll the dough into a 12-inch circle; transfer to a 9-inch pie dish. Gently ease the dough into the dish by lifting the edges while pressing down into the corners of dish. Trim the edges, leaving a 1/2-inch overhang, then tuck the overhang under itself so the dough is flush with the rim of the plate. Crimp the edge and chill in the freezer for 15 minutes.

If the filling is to be baked, brush the bottom of the crust with beaten egg, to keep it from getting soggy; fill and bake according to your recipe. To blind bake, line the chilled crust with aluminum foil and fill with pie weights. Bake until the edges are light golden brown, about 25 minutes, rotating the dish halfway through the cooking time. Remove the foil and weights and bake until the bottom of the crust just begins to color, another 5 to 7 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack for 1 hour before filling. (Once baked and cooled, the crust can be wrapped in plastic wrap and kept at room temperature for up to 2 days.) Makes one 9-inch pie crust.
My crust, from a recipe I got from my mom, who got it from my paternal grandfather is a bit different. Won't go into specifics, but it mainly flour with a bit of salt and shortening to make it clumpy. From there add a blend of an egg, water, and vinegar. Combine, chill, roll out, and bake

Back