What I did today -instead- of Rocketry.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also watched more free "Classic Time Team" episodes on Amazon Prime. Who thought archeology could be suspenseful?

I recently discovered Time Team for the first time on YouTube a month or so ago and have watched several episodes on my tablet. I can't imagine how difficult it must be to try to do real archeology on a 72 hour timetable. Yikes.

Today's small victory. This stone planter literally fell apart this spring. We took it down to the dirt, replaced the blocks behind it, removed as much of the remaining mortar as possible and saving as many stones/bricks as possible, and then attempted to put it all back. I know I broke several stone bricks in the process, and had to cut a couple to fit while putting them back, but still somehow managed to have one left over. I'm no mason, and it's not going to win any awards, but it's done and, I think, not half bad.IMG_20200928_144705112_HDR.jpg

Actually went to the office, and spent a few hours!!

It's nice to see & touch the parts you've designed, and see them assembled. Also nice to see them in the test jig, and watch a test or two!

Also discovered a downloadable bearing model from McMaster was about 0.060" different than the actual part. So, 2 Timken bearings have forced my design about 1/16" too high, and 1/16" too low.. That's why we prototype!! (2-part tapered roller bearings! they area pretty cool!)

I had to go look that up.. Monitor lizard.. Wow!

Bare handed? or do you have at least one glove on?! :D

Just the sack... You have to keep moving, otherwise they might try and climb up you, thinking you're a tree. Bad eyesight and big, big claws. Our biggest here is just about two metres.

They will kill your chickens. But hey, 'straya. Everything here tries to kill you. :D 🇦🇺

I love trying to catch lizards. I have never managed to catch a goanna yet. I have tried a few times, usually on long trips when I see them on or beside the road. If you are careful how you catch them you can get away without gloves. Apparently the goannas have a fierce tail whip but I have not got hold of one yet. Got close though...

I did manage to catch a frill-neck lizard that was about 1.5m long on our honeymoon 4wd odyssey in Queensland about 20 years ago. It is the only time I have ever seen a frilly that big. I was driving and stopped when it was in front of my car. I just pointed it out to my wife (I didn't say anything), and she got out of the care and tried to move the stick off the road. She got a surprise when it ran away 😂.

Saw a perentie (largest species of goanna) 2m long (6'7") up on the NSW border a couple of years back. Couldn't get anywhere near it and boy could it run!

That should mean some new fun (or actually probably vintage fun) headed your way in the near future.

New fun, yes. Applied to make a two existing ones SBRs and to make a home made can. Form 4 would be to transfer vintage or new fun.....and I have a few of those 'pending' too!

Efile Form 1 is running about 30ish days to approval, with Form 4s still taking from 3-15 months.

Last edited:
Removed a goanna from the new chicken coop. Just a baby, maybe a metre and a half. Involves shaking a hessian sack and trying to look fierce.

And none of the rest of us north or the equator have wondered what the dickens a "hessian sack" is? I love learning about regional phrases and where they come from, and " 'straya" is loaded with just such expressions! Go 'straya!

New fun, yes. Applied to make a two existing ones SBRs and to make a home made can. Form 4 would be to transfer vintage or new fun.....and I have a few of those 'pending' too!

Efile Form 1 is running about 30ish days to approval, with Form 4s still taking from 3-15 months.
I've got one I would love to make an SBR.

And none of the rest of us north or the equator have wondered what the dickens a "hessian sack" is? I love learning about regional phrases and where they come from, and " 'straya" is loaded with just such expressions! Go 'straya!

I’m guessing burlap? Based solely on the hessian wall weave of the 70’s.

I've got one I would love to make an SBR.
Nothing beats e-file. If you can pass a normal 4473, you can pass a Form 1/Form 4. Especially for a From 1 e-file. About 30ish days wait, $200, plus fingerprints (which you can do yourself or have a local PD do it) and some postage.

I've been in the game for nearly 30 years, best time is NOW. Prices and selection have never really been better than now. Unfortunately, e-file is only for Form 1s right now, but hey, it's a start.

Of course, the real curiosity is whether they do enjoy a good shrimp skewer / kabob on the BBQ... And is it a daily or weekly thing?! Only after a goanna wrangling session? :cool:
Personally I like barbeques but hate shrimps. From the people we hang around with it is more a thing to do shrimps around Christmas time. Another tip for BBQs is to halve peaches or apricots (or other stone fruit) and apply honey and cook on the hotplate. Yum. This is also usually around Christmas as that is stone fruit season for us.

Goanna wrangling season is whenever you get to see one :).

Last edited:

You know, a potato sack. A real one, not that plastic garbage.

We keep one next to the coop for catching the pythons that go after the new born chicks (this is not a joke).

You septics make me laugh. You're a bunch of drongos sometimes...

We what now?

Septic tank = Yank. AKA Seppos.

All said in good fun.

I was known as a Skip for years, particularly when I was in the UK (Skippy the Bush Kangaroo).

Anyhoo, gotta make the sheila a schmick sanger before smoko. She's a two pot screamer and needs tucker before we hit the boozer...

:p

Went to a local park and sat out under the trees while writing scenes aboard a starship for a sci-fi story I periodically play at writing.
Also people-watched.
Also imagined airliners passing overhead were spacecraft arriving and departing.
Hey man, that little Canon IS-something pocket camera has pretty decent zoom!
You know those jets move a whole bunch faster when you zoom in on them!

Eventually left when the mosquitoes and other bugs discovered me.

50399414776_11306f5fe3_z.jpg

50399572697_fe5d97c33a_z.jpg

50398723313_5274f3b7f0_z.jpg

50399414621_13ea363160_z.jpg

Septic tank = Yank. AKA Seppos.

All said in good fun.

I was known as a Skip for years, particularly when I was in the UK (Skippy the Bush Kangaroo).

Anyhoo, gotta make the sheila a schmick sanger before smoko. She's a two pot screamer and needs tucker before we hit the boozer...

:p

what do you call Canadians?!

Canucks is the term I think, but it is rarely used from what I have seen. Similarly septic tanks is rarely used also. More likely yanks. Less derogatory I think :).

I think so. The worst insult you can give an Australian is to call them a Kiwi...

Maybe I should be quiet now. :rolleyes:

Back