What I did today -instead- of Rocketry.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, maybe, but so are the federal regulations regarding acceptable forms of ID. since SecureID is a federal mandate, the state DMV has to follow the federal rules.

My social security card wasn't valid for this because...uh...because.........uh......it's not acceptable. Granted, it was issued 55 years ago (5th grade social studies teacher had us all apply for one, as a class project) but dammit, it's the ORIGINAL CARD.
Huh, yours is probably similar vintage to mine. Never occurred to me to get a new one. I should look into that.

(I'll also note that I can't recall ever having been asked to produce it before).

I'll go back some other time, but this time I'll take along my W2 or 1099 form, as they're acceptable substitutes for a SSCard.

(Kind of silly if you think about it. A lot of W2 forms these days are electronic rather than hard-copy-mailed. I doubt it would be terribly difficult to prepare a fake W2 that looks like the real thing. A 55-year-old SSCard would be a lot harder to fake.)

Three hours of my life disappeared, I'll never get them back...

Kentucky is finally issuing RealID drivers licenses that bring them in line with most other states; ID that can be used at airports, etc. I made an appointment, drove to Paducah with certified birth certificate, old DL, social security card, concealed carry permit, university photo ID, recent utility bill, etc., to confirm my identity.

Denied. My social security card wasn't valid for this because...uh...because.........uh......it's not acceptable. Granted, it was issued 55 years ago (5th grade social studies teacher had us all apply for one, as a class project) but dammit, it's the ORIGINAL CARD. I guess he'd never seen one that old. "No, you need to get a new card. I can give you the phone number of---" My response: "Never mind, I should have known. After all, this is Kentucky." Thirty-six years of teaching higher education chemistry in this state has taught me that the critical thinking skills of the residents are, in general.....less than optimum, shall we say. 🤬
Common sense ain't all that common anymore. :(

Huh, yours is probably similar vintage to mine. Never occurred to me to get a new one. I should look into that.

(I'll also note that I can't recall ever having been asked to produce it before).
I still have my original SS card from the mid 1960's. I'll need to check with the Wisconsin DMV if it is acceptable.

Common sense ain't all that common anymore. :(
Someone from a different forum I use sometimes once wrote that it isn't called common sense because it's common; it's called common sense because it's about common things. (So sense about common things is, sadly, uncommon.)

Well, if you hadn't mentioned "barbed" then it sounded like moving forward and back on a narrow strip of floor poking one of three nearly identical rods-with-handles at an imaginary opponent. (Really, no kidding, that's what I thought you meant.) Getting outside and accomplishing something sounds better.

Last evening, I decided to do something "different." There's an app called Randonautica for both android and iPhone. I downloaded it and ran it with the intention of finding comic books. Now, you're supposed to say your intention so I did but my microphone should have been off. It generated some GPS coordinates which I drove to and lo-and-behold, it was a garage sale where they did, indeed, have two short boxes of comic books. Other than the "wtf" moment I had, I did buy two short boxes of comics.

Worked for 8 hours in a surprisingly productive manner. Watched an episode of "Time Team" from 1999 (the older UK version with Tony Robinson) while eating some wide-noodled and tongue-pleasing Thai food. Then finally, with a Herculean, neutron star emphasis on "finally," finished "Fooled By Randomness," a book I have started reading 3 or 4 times over the past five years and for some reason never managed to complete. The wait proved worthwhile. I've had worse days.

Inventoried a NAPA IBS location. IBS stores are like little NAPA parts stores inside fleet maintenance shops. This one was for Gwinnett County, GA.

Well, if you hadn't mentioned "barbed" then it sounded like moving forward and back on a narrow strip of floor poking one of three nearly identical rods-with-handles at an imaginary opponent. (Really, no kidding, that's what I thought you meant.) Getting outside and accomplishing something sounds better.

Ha! Just did another couple of hours, which included me yelling "En Garde" to the dog and dancing back and forth.

It's okay; she thinks I'm an idiot anyway...

had a crappy day at work..

Ever get that feeling? when you are working on something new and you're somewhat unsure.. and you go & ask your boss for some guidance, some help, and maybe talk thru the problem.. only to be told to 'figure it out'..

OK, getting paid to 'play darts in the dark' and surf the internet hoping to find the answer.. Oooh, look, girlies in bikinis...

Working on a German Leopard 2A6M main battle tank model in 1/72 scale. Learned a couple of things:

1. 1/72 is a great scale... For a B-52.

2. Molded plastic tracks in this scale kinda suck.

That said, the detail is really nice, especially in such a small scale (The whole thing is 4" long), and I have been enjoying the challenge of finding the correct pair of glasses to be able to see all of these tiny parts.

o_O

Actually a fun little (get it?) build!

went flying rc with my brother

Attachments

• 20200926_093453.jpg
    20200926_093453.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 21
  • 20200926_101204.jpg
    20200926_101204.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 21
  • 20200926_103348 (2).jpg
    20200926_103348 (2).jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 20
  • 20200926_102515.jpg
    20200926_102515.jpg
    196.8 KB · Views: 17
Took my Mom out to see the foliage so she could take pictures. We stopped at a local reservoir and got to see a Bald Eagle. That kind of made my day, but then I sold a woodworked item for $20, and it is The first thing I've made in my new shop and sold, so I kicked back and relaxed and made 6 more of said item, as customer said he had at least 4 or 5 friends who would also like to have one of these.
It was a good day.
Hope fully my Mom's pic's of the eagle turn out decent and I can share them. I've never seen a Vermont bald eagle before today, not even during my days in the Boy Scouts.
I only brought my cheap 8x24 binos, and wish I had brought more once I spotter the eagle perched on the rock, but it would suffice none the less as I was just happy for my Mom to be out having a decent time and seeing the eagle.
I did still do some firewood too.

Read a pretty difficult essay on the philosophy of Nishida Kitaro and then rested my brain by grocery shopping, cleaning out hard drive files, socially distancing at a hardware store and completing a section of a C programming course. Also watched more free "Classic Time Team" episodes on Amazon Prime. Who thought archeology could be suspenseful?

I went to get my Real ID (in Missouri) - showed my original SS card (got it in 1967). I was told it wasn't valid because it was laminated> I told the bright lightbulb behind the counter that was how I got it when it was sent to me back then. He said it wasn't allowed now. I asked him to show me where it said no lamination and was told he didn't have time to show me but that was what he was told. I read to him what they sent me to bring with me and nowhere did it say no lamination on SS card and was told oh well go apply for another and come back then. Still don't have my Real ID - :mad:

I went to get my Real ID (in Missouri) - showed my original SS card (got it in 1967). I was told it wasn't valid because it was laminated> I told the bright lightbulb behind the counter that was how I got it when it was sent to me back then. He said it wasn't allowed now. I asked him to show me where it said no lamination and was told he didn't have time to show me but that was what he was told. I read to him what they sent me to bring with me and nowhere did it say no lamination on SS card and was told oh well go apply for another and come back then. Still don't have my Real ID - :mad:
I used my county issued birth certificate from Garfield County, Oklahoma that I had to get for my security clearance way back when.

Back