What I did today -instead- of Rocketry.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 15th and 16th I binge-watched live feed coverage of a train derailment and cleanup on the Kansas City, Kansas, and Kansas City, Missouri, city line on Virtual Railfan's cameras at Santa Fe Junction, Kansas City.
Happened about 2 hours from my town and about 40 minutes from where Mom & Dad live; if my health were better to where that distance could be driven, I'd have gone to see it in person then stayed overnight at Mom & Dad's.

50350753183_a0836b6497_c.jpg

50347483782_0a6d4a4818_c.jpg

50351455601_cc1a1ab997_c.jpg

50351494991_af4d1a41cd_c.jpg

50347494692_73680d75a2_c.jpg

I must say that trestle has seen better days. Pretty rusted out in some places.

Did extended battle with a leaky faucet and ultimately lost. One of those jobs that leaves you seething with rage and frustration.

Highlight: in the process of installing, testing, and removing the cartridge over and over, one time I got careless and forgot to turn off the water. Now that is quality entertainment.

🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬

Loaded up the goose decoys and inserted the plug into the shotgun so it only holds 2 shells. Gonna try for a few of those Canada geese tomorrow
Should have just hung outside my office the other day.

Lady hit a goose on the road. Police came by, because she also spun out and wrecked her car. Boss and I were debating running out to grab the goose after the police left. Better sense prevailed.

Should have just hung outside my office the other day.

Lady hit a goose on the road. Police came by, because she also spun out and wrecked her car. Boss and I were debating running out to grab the goose after the police left. Better sense prevailed.
That's considered poaching here. Have to take them with approved equipment only. DNR can allow you to take a road kill but they normally donate it to a food bank instead (better solution).

In spring, when they're nesting, Canada geese can be very aggressive. I suggest walking around with a 9 iron just to be safe.

Had 2 flocks over fly me today but neither came close so no luck. Today was the last day of early season so I have to wait another 6 weeks for my next go.

That's considered poaching here. Have to take them with approved equipment only. DNR can allow you to take a road kill but they normally donate it to a food bank instead (better solution).

In spring, when they're nesting, Canada geese can be very aggressive. I suggest walking around with a 9 iron just to be safe.

Had 2 flocks over fly me today but neither came close so no luck. Today was the last day of early season so I have to wait another 6 weeks for my next go.
My older kid calls Canada geese “murder ducks.” When I was riding a bike to work, I had to steer clear of the gaggles when the goslings were young. The parents let you know in no uncertain terms if you got too close.

My mid morning was spent turning spruce, maple, and cherry into excelsior. AE83AE53-9219-4A32-AD61-4C4169EE74E8.jpeg

Highlight: in the process of installing, testing, and removing the cartridge over and over, one time I got careless and forgot to turn off the water. Now that is quality entertainment.
One useful thing learned: if this happens, do not waste a single fraction of a second trying to stop the fountain of water by any means other than turning the water off. I figured it out quickly enough, but still probably wasted 1-2 seconds sticking my hands over it like an idiot, like that would do anything. It is not intuitive, upon witnessing the impending carnage, to immediately dive under the sink rather than trying somehow to address the problem directly, but that's what you must do.

This is not beautiful when it's in your bathroom:
1600643781223.png

Did extended battle with a leaky faucet and ultimately lost. One of those jobs that leaves you seething with rage and frustration.

🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬
Lucky you weren't working on wiring! ;)

My older kid calls Canada geese “murder ducks.” When I was riding a bike to work, I had to steer clear of the gaggles when the goslings were young. The parents let you know in no uncertain terms if you got too close.

My mid morning was spent turning spruce, maple, and cherry into excelsior. View attachment 432291
oh, a canoe paddle. 😍

Did you skip and jump, and like to press wild flowers, and put on..............I think I'll stop there... :D

Best -- Terry (not a lumberjack but I'm okay, I sleep all night and I work all day...)

Thanks. Now I have had that stuck in my head all day. .... but I’m ok ....

Last edited:
In our house the conversation when doing wiring usually went something like this....
Me: Dad, kill the power to such and such rooms outlets....
Dad: Click, Okay its dead....
Me: Grab screwdriver to attach wires to outlet......BANG....click (from other room).....
Dad: Oops, Its off now!.....

Not only does my father do that to me, my father in law has gotten me a couple of times with the creative wiring in his home (how it passed inspection I will never know), I was replacing a ceiling fan in a stairwell, ask him to kill the power, used a meter to verify it was off.....BANG......click (from breaker panel)....my FIL..huh thats weird that isn't supposed to happen.....

We all laugh now but DAMN am I nervous when doing electrical projects with those two....

more intense back pain ruined 1/2 the day, as I told my wife we should move to a state that has self-suicide , the more muscles that deteriorate in my chest and back, the more my spine is going to not stay in alignment., I'm still gonna die from respiratory failure, just likely with a sore back. :]

Chinese for lunch , played 2 more Lp's

it was national pepperoni pizza day, so it was for dinner.

My older kid calls Canada geese “murder ducks.”
I read somewhere (maybe in the Post a Picture that Makes You LOL thread a thousand pages ago, maybe somewhere else) about a Chinese immigrant who told his US family "I do not like the cobra chickens."

Spent an hour explaining the difference between color and pigment and how they work and rgb vs cmyk.
I don't find it helpful to try to draw a distinction. There are simply two kinds of color, addative and subtractive. Or paint colors and video colors. That's a lot easier to get someone to understand.

At nine or ten or 13 years old (somewhere around then) I made a change in the wiring in my sister's bedroom. She had one switch that controlled both a duplex outlet and a ceiling light, and wanted the outlet to always be on. I knew what to do: start by turning off the breaker and opening up the switch box. I knew what to expect inside: two wires on one screw terminal and one wire on the other. And that I had to move one of the two over to the other terminal. And that there was no practical way to know which wire (sure, on can ring it out with long wires on a meter, but it's just not worth bothering). I moved one of the wires, secured the switch, and turned the breaker on. Sure enough, the light was on and the outlet switched. (I promise, this is going somewhere.) Turn the breaker off, switch the wires, turn the breaker on, and everything works as it should.

"Did I tighten those screws down?" I think to myself. "I better check." Index finger on one screw and middle finger on the other to see if they'd wiggle. They didn't. But my fingers kept wiggling for the rest of the day. (Glad to say is was US 120 V, not Aussie 240; it could have been a lot worse.)

I told my wife we should move to a state that has self-suicide
Truly I'm not trying to minimize your troubles. But self-suicide? Is there any other kind?

Anyway, Saturday I cleaned out the half of the garage that is used for good stuff in the warm months so that the car can be pulled inside during the winter. A sad day. Had out second or third frosty morning today, and didn't have to scrape it off the car. Worth it yes, but a steep price to pay.

-sheepishly puts up hand-

Ah, teacher, why does your missus have a cold storage room?
I built a cold room in the garage. It keeps stored food at 50 to 60 degrees all year. Really well insulated and has an air conditioner in the end wall. When I built the garage I put floor heat in. Kind of a indoors root cellar but not as cold for fresh foods. Great for brewing beer in the summer time.

As a tiny side job, this little kitchen spatula broke it's cheap plastic handle. My wife said I could pitch it, but it sat on my workbench for a week while I thought about it. At some point I came across a piece of scrap wood that seemed serviceable and, after some cutting, sanding, Dremel etching, and a few days of polyurethane, the little guy is back in the kitchen.
IMG_20200922_101038789_HDR.jpgIMG_20200922_101049054.jpg

As a tiny side job, this little kitchen spatula broke it's cheap plastic handle. My wife said I could pitch it, but it sat on my workbench for a week while I thought about it. At some point I came across a piece of scrap wood that seemed serviceable and, after some cutting, sanding, Dremel etching, and a few days of polyurethane, the little guy is back in the kitchen.
View attachment 432525View attachment 432526
You can’t give up a good spatula like that. They don’t make enough like they used to.

Three hours of my life disappeared, I'll never get them back...

Kentucky is finally issuing RealID drivers licenses that bring them in line with most other states; ID that can be used at airports, etc. I made an appointment, drove to Paducah with certified birth certificate, old DL, social security card, concealed carry permit, university photo ID, recent utility bill, etc., to confirm my identity.

Denied. My social security card wasn't valid for this because...uh...because.........uh......it's not acceptable. Granted, it was issued 55 years ago (5th grade social studies teacher had us all apply for one, as a class project) but dammit, it's the ORIGINAL CARD. I guess he'd never seen one that old. "No, you need to get a new card. I can give you the phone number of---" My response: "Never mind, I should have known. After all, this is Kentucky." Thirty-six years of teaching higher education chemistry in this state has taught me that the critical thinking skills of the residents are, in general.....less than optimum, shall we say. 🤬

Back