What I did today -instead- of Rocketry.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I finished up the armrest repair & installation on my 2012 VW Sportwagen console. I also finished up my rear spring replacement on my 2005 VW Golf TDI. While I had everything apart back there I pulled the brake calipers, pad carriers, and pads. I used my DeWalt Orbital Sander to clean up the rotors and put new SS clips on the pad carrier. One of the problems with cast iron & steel is that they rust & in the process expand. So the distance shrinks between the SS clips & the pads don't move like they're supposed to. I file down the rusted surfaces & edges & apply a thin coat of anti-seize to keep them from rusting so fast. They use a lot of salt on the roads up here during the winter & it is tough on cars. I bled the brakes and I'm good to go. I own a pressure bleeder which is the only way to go.

I can now ship ciders to 38 states (I think) , but not spirits, alas.
Literally a ton of raspberries.
View attachment 422775

That's better than the half ton of elderly jam and other canned goods that I moved out of my mother-in-law's house in preparation for her to sell it. There's still another half ton in the basement awaiting another dump run. The oldest identifiable item was some prunes from 1970. We did notice that they had a lot of jam from the years that our kids were born, since they drove across the state pretty often those summers. They'd buy clearance fruit on the way home and make jam.

Charles, I love raspberries. Let me know when this batch is available and I'll order a bottle. Thanks.

Greg, that may be a while. The raspberry wine that these make will be distilled into raspberry brandy. Some of that will be aged and bottled - but isn’t shippable. Some will be saved until I can do the same thing with blackberries. Once I have both brandies on hand, I’ll make more of our Bumbleberry port style. The end of last year’s batch of Bumbleberry is on the website, I’m pretty sure. It’s been a long day.

Do you offer in-person personal sales and if so, do you know of any regulations about personal use transporting across state lines?

I'd drive up and get a few bottles on a trip up to a launch in that area.

Do you offer in-person personal sales and if so, do you know of any regulations about personal use transporting across state lines?

I'd drive up and get a few bottles on a trip up to a launch in that area.
Yes. We have a tasting room and do retail sales. While more states have rules about returning with booze than you might think, no one cares about small personal amounts. A couple cases or less.

It’s literally one mile north of the pads at Bong - as the chute drifts. We used to get a fair number of rockets in the orchard before dual deploy became more common. The drive is slightly longer, as County B no longer crosses the Air Force base - I mean state park.

I even offer discounts for flyers during LDRS.

my son came over today and helped with hooking up the extra wires that go to the 6 channel amplifier for the stereo/home theater setup and we troubleshot some of the other audio problems I was having. Also got the new Stereo Integrity 18 inch subwoofer going. I bridged two channels of the amp to give 1500 watts to the sub ,but it really needs about five thousand Watts

Ahem. Nobody likes lutefisk. They may *claim* to like it, but they're lying. 😀

Apparently, it's pretty common for Norwegian-Americans visiting the home country to try to find some lutefisk to get the full experience. They typically get told that nobody would eat that stuff unless they were literally starving. Now that Norway has money, they left lutefisk in the dust long ago.
"Every Advent we entered the purgatory of lutefisk, a repulsive gelatinous fishlike dish that tasted of soap and gave off an odor that would gag a goat. We did this in honor of Norwegian ancestors, much as if survivors of a famine might celebrate their deliverance by feasting on elm bark" -- Garrison Keillor

Another 7 mile hike... Weather was awesome at 10,631 ft elevation.... perfect for wildflowers, bipeds and furry woodland creatures.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    231 KB · Views: 11
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    238.9 KB · Views: 10
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    158.9 KB · Views: 13
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    287.8 KB · Views: 13
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    226.6 KB · Views: 14
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    245.5 KB · Views: 15
Damn, I wish I lived where you sell!
All kinds of benefits to that.

A friend is the Cidermaster for a local hard cider outfit and always brought a few bottles for us to taste at throws practice. A frosty ice cold hard cider on a hot day is analogous to drinking with friends and family in Valhalla: Feels like you died and went to Heaven.

I’m sure Cidermaster Charles McG knows that feeling.

All kinds of benefits to that.

A friend is the Cidermaster for a local hard cider outfit and always brought a few bottles for us to taste at throws practice. A frosty ice cold hard cider on a hot day is analogous to drinking with friends and family in Valhalla: Feels like you died and went to Heaven.

I’m sure Cidermaster Charles McG knows that feeling.
Which cidery?

Early this morning, I was riding alone on the yellow line of a narrow bike path on a bridge, when a kid snuck up to my side without warning, saying an expletive and waving his arm as though I was in his way.

I decided to have fun so I sped up to follow him, just so I could teach him how to be heard, using his own words. After a while, he crossed the street towards a gas station, and there was peace again.

I got my 1959 JD 530 started and loaded it onto my brothers trailer hooked up to his truck. Then I hauled it to my GF’s house so my boy can drive it around the rest of the summer. I don’t like leaving it outside all summer, but at least that’ll wash off the bird poop🤬🤬
I’ll hook it up to her arena tool and see if it has enough gumption to drag the arena in it’s old age.

Crispin, in Colfax, California.

I see they are now owned by CoorsMiller or MillerCoors.

Guess they succeeded beyond their dreams and have now gone mainstream by corporate purchase.

My friend John was with them in the early days of 2010 and on.
I’m friends with Bruce Nissen, who owned Foxbarrel and made Crispin before and after Crispin bought out Foxbarrel.

I got my 1959 JD 530 started and loaded it onto my brothers trailer hooked up to his truck. Then I hauled it to my GF’s house so my boy can drive it around the rest of the summer. I don’t like leaving it outside all summer, but at least that’ll wash off the bird poop🤬🤬
I’ll hook it up to her arena tool and see if it has enough gumption to drag the arena in it’s old age.
@jd2cylman Nice looking tractor. I have a 1953 Ford Jubilee. I need to put a new clutch assembly before winter to plow snow.

Alas, our bid was beat out by another motivated buyer... the search goes on.
Hi Johnny, if you (or anyone else) is interested, I have a 15-page house-buying checklist that we found extremely useful. I adapted it from a book by a real estate appraiser. It's obviously a chore to go thru the list---took a couple of hours each time and it required looking into the crawl space and attic, among other things. So we only used it on five houses that we were seriously considering, but...

For the house we've now owned for over 20 years, after going through the checklist I prepared a two-page report. IMHO the report sounded reasonably professional, partly because it included both the good points and the problems, along with a rough estimate of costs to fix (estimate came from the checklist). I gave the report to the real estate agent and told her that there would be no bargaining; if they didn't accept our offer we were prepared instead to stay in, and build an addition onto, our current house (not BS-ing her, it was the truth).

The seller's contract with the agent was about to expire; no doubt that had an effect. Also, it was a buyer's market at the time. Nonetheless we were stunned when they accepted 76% of their asking price... pretty decent return for a few hours work...

Found out later that we'd really ticked off the agent. Our purchase was the lowest %-of-asking-price for the entire county for that quarter...

Back