What I did today -instead- of Rocketry.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Went to Blue Ridge Motorcycle camp and had 4 days of riding in the hills. Crazy Roads up there! Missed my L1 cert but it was a case of "2 good things to do on a weekend" and choices are a good thing so I'll reschedule. The KTM 1290 was way too much bike for the hairpins and switchbacks so I exercised caution.

Cheers / Robert

Blue Ridge Parkway.jpg

Made my first-ever batch of soft pretzels using a professional step, dipping into a food-grade lye solution after boiling and before baking. I never realized that there was such a thing as a food-grade poison! Some turned out a bit ugly, but they were great! Froze what we didn't eat.

Best -- Terry

Made my first-ever batch of soft pretzels using a professional step, dipping into a food-grade lye solution after boiling and before baking. I never realized that there was such a thing as a food-grade poison! Some turned out a bit ugly, but they were great! Froze what we didn't eat.
Lack of pictures on this post is seriously disappointing. :)

Best -- Terry
@prfesser Check this out. I grew up in northern Minnesota (Duluth) and it is considered a delicacy by some although I won't eat it. ;)

https://www.thedailymeal.com/travel/what-heck-lutefisk-and-why-do-minnesotans-eat-it

@prfesser Check this out. I grew up in northern Minnesota (Duluth) and it is considered a delicacy by some although I won't eat it. ;)

https://www.thedailymeal.com/travel/what-heck-lutefisk-and-why-do-minnesotans-eat-it

Ahem. Nobody likes lutefisk. They may *claim* to like it, but they're lying. 😀

Apparently, it's pretty common for Norwegian-Americans visiting the home country to try to find some lutefisk to get the full experience. They typically get told that nobody would eat that stuff unless they were literally starving. Now that Norway has money, they left lutefisk in the dust long ago.

This weekend, we made 51 masks for donation via a local crafter's group. These ones will go to Seattle Schools employees who give out summer meals to students in need as well as the Northwest Immigrant Rights Project. The crafter's group as a whole has made over 55,000 masks since this madness began.
IMG_2767.JPG

Last edited:
I never realized that there was such a thing as a food-grade poison!
For shame, professor; you of all people should understand that many "poisons" are only dangerous in large quantities or high concentrations, and that many food substances are toxic under the same conditions. Food grade lye and hydrochloric acid are good for pH adjustments that are otherwise flavorless. Glycerine and propyene glycol are not uncommon food additives, and it only takes a few milligrams of caffine to kill a person, or a large overdose of vitamin A.

Just curious, why does your thumb move after every shot?
My thumb moves because the rifle is a Walther IWI UZI .22lr, and it has two safeties: the traditional side switch plus another button/tab that you need to press in with the space in your hand between your thumb and index finger everytime you fire.

My thumb moves because the rifle is a Walther IWI UZI .22lr, and it has two safeties: the traditional side switch plus another button/tab that you need to press in with the space in your hand between your thumb and index finger everytime you fire.
Kewl. Thanks for the answer. Didn't know that about that rifle. TIL!

Like the grip safety on a 1911 pistol (unless its been deleted of course)?

Come on, come on, get your hike on..

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    255.7 KB · Views: 11
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    217.9 KB · Views: 12
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    252.1 KB · Views: 13
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    159.3 KB · Views: 13
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    267.1 KB · Views: 14
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    239.7 KB · Views: 12
  • 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    198.9 KB · Views: 12
  • 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    255.4 KB · Views: 10
  • 009.JPG
    009.JPG
    203.8 KB · Views: 10
  • 010.JPG
    010.JPG
    215.6 KB · Views: 10

Best -- Terry

Old, , but good article on the use of alkalis in cooking. Apparently ’baked’ baking soda is a good substitute for lye

https://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/15/dining/15curious.html

Last edited:
I got a bad call from my lung doctor today about my inhalation and exhalation pressures. 6 months ago they were 42% and 47% respectfully. Now they are down to 30% and 41%, so at this rate the nerve damage that continues to eat away at my core, thus causing the muscles to atrophy, will likely only give me a year left. I guess I had better get busy building my Level-2 rocket
We are all decaying organic matter. Like the "Fight Club" quote..." On a fine enough time line, the survival rate is still zero"

Back