Quantcast

What I did today -instead- of Rocketry.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

boatgeek

Reaction score
There's a somewhat important detail I don't remember: did Schettino go to jail over this? Is he still there?
He was sentenced to 16 years, and started serving time in 2017 after his legal appeals failed.

prfesser

Lifetime Supporter
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
We have two stray cats that hang around our house morning and evening, to be fed. Today I took Lynx to the vet as he had a hurt front paw. This vet practice is taking COVID-19 seriously. Lobby closed, you park in a numbered space. A vet tech comes out, properly masked, to pick up the pet and later to drop him off.

Lynx has a few puncture wounds in that paw, so he got a shot of antibiotic. He's healing up already.

Wayco

Desert Rat Rocketeer
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I jumped into the quagmire of governmental process. Contacted the VA about getting compensation or treatment for tinnitus, which I acquired working on the flight line with Phantom jets back in 1970. Talked to a representative for about an hour, and he sent me some forms. He also suggested that I get a VSO to help me jump through the hoops correctly. I contacted the local Veterans Services and have an appointment with my new VSO via a phone call on Monday.
This is a monumental event for me. After almost 50 years of avoiding the Veterans Administration, I'm finally asking for help.

hobie1dog

Reaction score
we drove 3 hours to Raleigh. :NC so that we could be here for my 8 am Neurologist appointment today, naturally, I woke up at 4 am and cannot go back to sleep

boatgeek

Reaction score
Two projects with my wife: baking 4 loaves of bread (3 Swedish rye, one white sandwich bread) and writing ~40 thank you cards for teachers and staff at our child's school.

mbeels

Yes balsa
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Gave my basement/shop a face lift. It started with a purging, the kind that is painful at first, but then becomes liberating. Leveled my workbench, replaced the working surface, added a shelf for organizing, replaced a basement door that was broken (which escalated to patching mortar and a lot of plaster work), and setting up a spot for a new tool.

Before:

PC190355_r.jpg

After:

P1080491_r.jpg

And:

P1080490_r.jpg

Cl(VII)

Chris Bender, Lab Rat
TRF Sponsor
Reaction score
we drove 3 hours to Raleigh. :NC so that we could be here for my 8 am Neurologist appointment today, naturally, I woke up at 4 am and cannot go back to sleep
Sorry you had a challenging day, but I have a suggestion for the next time you go that way that isn’t too out of the way. Swing by Bullock’s BBQ in Durham...man I miss their Brunswick Stew.

jqavins

Helpful Smartass
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Swing by Bullock’s BBQ in Durham...man I miss their Brunswick Stew.
Yesterday my wife read in The Joy of Cooking (2019 edition) a Roy Blount Jr. quote that "Brunswick stew is what happens when small mammals carrying ears of corn fall into the barbeque pit." Which sound good. And when you put that way, it's a wonder that it doesn't occur more often.

DrewW

Reaction score
You should post pics of what you build. Random tip: for these kinds of builds I get an appropriate furniture dolly from Harbor Freight (if ur in the US) https://www.harborfreight.com/search?q=furniture dolly and I use that as the base. It starts out perfectly level and the price is generally worth it for the casters alone. Obviously if u under size them, your project can become tipsy. The even have a solid wood top one, perfectly flat and mobile starting point
Finally Nearing the end. I had one workbench before the project that was dedicated to every single hobby I have. Now I have a rolling soldering station to handle all those Eggtimer kits I need to build, I have a rolling drill press stand, I have a rolling hobby table, and I built my kids a smaller rolling workbench also so they can do projects also.

Pictured is my rocketry table (not completely finished yet, but enough to start storing kits and hobby gear. Behind it is the kids workbench.

IMG_9331.JPG

KC3KNM

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Super glued some tape together. Have a run of unique parts tonight, so used the masking tape method for fixturing. Start with a piece of stock brought to final thickness and cover it in tape, burnish it down with a pin then do the same on the fixture plate and CA together. Stock is oversized to accomodate all the parts I have to run, so no work offset changes between setups and I'm only milling through the first layer of tape, so setting up the next part is easy as taking off what tape is left, cleaning the plate and reapplying tape. Been using this method for a little while now and I'm still blown away how well these parts are held.

Attachments

OverTheTop

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Continuing the laundry renovation. Everything is ready for the bench. Just have to fit the sink to a bench and it is all done. Only problem is that the benchtop, I found out today, is still two weeks away :(.

Two more days of our 14 day isolation (entirely at home) to go. Can't wait to get out somewhere. Test came back negative again yesterday.

OverTheTop

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, I said that once during a kitchen renovation. I still have nightmares...
Nah. Easy stuff. My nightmares are caused when I need to make sure everything is level. The laundry has been leveled already.

I installed some concrete water tanks in the backyard that had to be level over about a 30' span, including around a corner, a while back. Total 10000 litres. The land isn't quite level and neither is the fence, so even when leveled with a spirit level, laser level and a pipe level it still looked wrong. Turned out to be within about 3mm across all five tanks once installed. The guy installing couldn't believe I got it that good. Leveling is where my CDO hides.

AHansom

Reaction score
Made some fun but somewhat unnecessary modifications to the rocket delivery rig. I hadn't used the TIG welder and press brake for a while so I got them out. First was an Amsoil bypass filter bracket. Add an oil fill cap, return oil fitting and a breather welded to the valve cover. Then a coolant filter bracket added to the alternator bracket.
IMG_9423.jpg
VXPH1339 2.jpg
IMG_E0270.JPG
IUDZ7079.jpg
IMG_1171.jpg

kuririn

BARGeezer
TRF Lifetime Supporter
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Just found out that today is National Clean Off Your Desk Day.
Don't think I'll be observing that one.
Also got this in my email:
1610400743343.png

Strongly leaning towards observing this one.
Hey, it's almost lunch time.
Bye.

jqavins

Helpful Smartass
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Laundry.

The wahing machine went Kaputsky on Saturday with a load of my clothes and a full basin of dirty water. It's acted up a little before, so when I found it on Sunday I figured I just had to restart the cycle, as I'd done before. No love.

Bought a new washer today, it'll be in the house tomorrow, and now I'm sitting in the laundromat while my clothes go round and round in the dryer. (Yes, I rewashed them first.)

OverTheTop

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Got the washing machine and drier into the laundry, to their final locations. Just waiting for the benchtop so I can continue now.