What I did today -instead- of Rocketry.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@boatgeek What kind of plane are you using? A number of years ago a friend from Japan was visiting the US and he gave me a gift of a Japanese hand plane. It has become my go to plane. Love it!

It’s a Stanley 5 1/4. According to this site (https://woodandshop.com/identify-stanley-hand-plane-age-type-study/) it’s a Type 15, made in 1931-1932. I haven’t used many Japanese woodworking tools but the gardening tools have been a joy to use.

ADFE4A3A-BFA0-4073-9523-D1C7904D3E1E.jpeg

@jqavins it was definitely far more pleasant to use once I spent a little money on a diamond sharpening stone and a strop. It needs some more tuning to be ideal, but I can still get the shaving thickness down to translucent. And the shavings are mulching the blackberry canes behind the back fence.

@jqavins it was definitely far more pleasant to use once I spent a little money on a diamond sharpening stone and a strop. It needs some more tuning to be ideal, but I can still get the shaving thickness down to translucent. And the shavings are mulching the blackberry canes behind the back fence.

I have a lot to learn about sharpening. I never figured out what a "strop" is, or how it is used. Is it just a leather strap treated with some kind of polishing compound?

Way back in the middle ages when I was in college I visited a friend in Milwaukee. We went to a place that served chili on noodles. I still remember how god it was. I haven't seen or heard of it until now. I found a Cincy Chili recipe online & will most definitely give it a try. Thanks! :headspinning:

When my GF made me chili for the first time, that’s how she served it. Elbow macaroni, to be precise. And still does. Her ancestry is Wisconsin so...

Wife told me I should take over more space in the garage for hobby use, so in the process of building up mobile workbenches for my drill press, my soldering and electronics stuff, and one dedicated to rocketry.

Building them as fast as possible before she changes her mind.
You should post pics of what you build. Random tip: for these kinds of builds I get an appropriate furniture dolly from Harbor Freight (if ur in the US) https://www.harborfreight.com/search?q=furniture dolly and I use that as the base. It starts out perfectly level and the price is generally worth it for the casters alone. Obviously if u under size them, your project can become tipsy. The even have a solid wood top one, perfectly flat and mobile starting point

When my GF made me chili for the first time, that’s how she served it. Elbow macaroni, to be precise. And still does. Her ancestry is Wisconsin so...
I don't think there's anything fundamentally wrong or weird about chili over pasta. What's unusual is the Cincinnati chili recipe itself.

That's a keeper.
Oh, wait, does she want to move your hobby stuff out of the house? :D

Funny thing, about two weeks ago she asked me if I wouldn't want a shed in the yard to keep all the tools and rocketry stuff so we could use it for something else...what I have no idea because there is no way I'm moving to a detached shed in the yard.

Isolation is a pain, but at least you're being constructive. (My glass 1/2 full approach to Covid.)
Quite a few things to do around the house, so keeping them moving. No rush though, don't want to run out of things to do. Fortunately I don't live on a farm so that can actually happen :)

I don't think there's anything fundamentally wrong or weird about chili over pasta. What's unusual is the Cincinnati chili recipe itself.
@neil_w I did search. I found a website with a recipe from a woman who was born & raised there and it sounds like the real thing to me. I'm going to give it a try and see if it joggles old memories. :)

Funny thing, about two weeks ago she asked me if I wouldn't want a shed in the yard to keep all the tools and rocketry stuff so we could use it for something else...what I have no idea because there is no way I'm moving to a detached shed in the yard.
@DrewW You are definitely treading on thin ice. Be careful. ;)

Isolation is a pain, but at least you're being constructive. (My glass 1/2 full approach to Covid.)
You can't push a rope. Sometimes one needs to just go with the flow. But I admit that treading water is getting old. With a new administration here I hope things get turned around soon. Way too many people dying. :(

You might wind up stuck with nothing to do but build rockets.
I have an Estes Saturn V in paint currently (I hate painting, any painting) and a 38mm Go Devil is in work currently. There are a couple of other kits sitting on the shelf. Mainly rocketry time currently is spent on the Verticlal Trajectory System, flipping it from the bare breadboard into the flight module.

Continued mobile phone drama:

-Went to carrier, they said the person at the repair shop was "crazy" thinking that all I needed was a SIM card and the phone "would just work" - he said many "of those people" forget that not all phones work the same
-Carrier almost sent me somewhere else, but he decided to "try something" - since the phone already appeared registered on their network, he would have to change the phone number, cancel the phone with the new number, remove it from the network and then reactivate it with the old correct phone number. This would, of course, require a support request into headquarters
-He started this process, but received an XML error when he tried changing the number, so that meant he had to submit an IT support incident ticket, which can take up to 72 hours to resolve
-He did put a SIM card into the phone, but I still can't make calls or texts until the issue gets resolved
-I have no idea when I'll have a phone again, but I'm supposed to get a notification on my wife's phone for the IT incident - my skepticism is growing that this will ever get resolved

my skepticism is growing that this will ever get resolved
IMHO, too late now but I would never do any business with that repair shop again.
Serial number showing already registered? Maybe your new phone was refurbished.
Repair shop telling you things completely different from the carriers' representative?
Big red flag. Sounds like they are BSing you to preserve the sale.
Telling you to leave the SIM card and recharging cord and they will send it to you with the new phone, then instead returning those with the old one? Incompetence at best, fraud at the worst.
Thank god your carrier's representative is working to correct the situation.
Hope it works out.

Hauling two horses to Florida from Illinois with the GF. 22 hours of driving. Only stopping for gas, food, and disposal of said food😉
The trailer is pretty heavy, so the truck is pretty thirsty. Averaging 9.5 mpg currently 😳 And yes, a gasser. She had bad luck with the previous diesel truck. Miss the mileage and torque. But it’s been a lot better runner so far.

Got lazed by a crazy bright blue/violet laser flying into Minneapolis last night just as we descended through 18k and turned our lights on.

No-lights stealth mode from now on!

Got lazed by a crazy bright blue laser flying into Minneapolis last night just as we descended through 18k and turned our lights on.

No-lights stealth mode from now on!

That is terrible, I hope no lingering effects for you. How often does that kind of thing happen?

Back