What I did today -instead- of Rocketry.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Then we had to go up to Three Rivers...
Trois-Rivieres is one thing, but to go to Three Rivers you'd have to have gone home!

I've had poutine twice. Once made at home here in upstate NY, and once in a restaurant in Ottawa. To me, it should always have squeaky cheese curds; otherwise it's just cheese fries. In fact, down here we have fries with brown gravy and yellow cheese and call them "disco fries".

Other toppings seem, to my yankee sensibilities, to be OK up to a point. If they compliment the base dish, but not if they overwhelm it. And not if they're not gourmet or "foodie". But then, I feel the same way about pizza toppings.

Trois-Rivieres is one thing, but to go to Three Rivers you'd have to have gone home!

Yes, in one very real sense I went from Three Rivers to Trois-Rivieres! And actually, when Pittsburgh was Fort Duquesne (under French control), it could have been named Trois-Rivieres as well! (I actually live about 17 miles from Pittsburgh, north of the airport).

Incidentally, where I live, I'm almost in both your watershed and dr. wogz's. My ground runoff finds its way to the Susquehanna River (via a couple of others) and thus out to sea by the Chesapeake Bay. But it's not far to the west that I get into the Allegheny River watershed, and thus past Pittsburgh and out to sea by the Mississippi. And not far to the north I'm into the finger lakes or Genesee River watershed, and thus out to sea by the St Lawrence. Probably within 20 miles (that's 32 km doc) either way.

just looked up "Howard, NY"

looks like Potter is marginally closer the Geneseo! :D

The Corning glass museum is on my list, as well as the Curtiss museum next time I'm down for either NYPower or URRF!

Me?! no.. Just replying to Joe / Jqavis..

I know how Hydro power stations work, as it's one of Quebec's main industries, and is exported extensively!

(I design commercial ovens & the heated display cases use to cook chicken & make it available. Them ovens at the back of Costco (and Sam's, and BJ's, and...) are ours!)

Me?! no.. Just replying to Joe / Jqavis..

I know how Hydro power stations work, as it's one of Quebec's main industries, and is exported extensively!

(I design commercial ovens & the heated display cases use to cook chicken & make it available. Them ovens at the back of Costco (and Sam's, and BJ's, and...) are ours!)
Oh my bad, I guess. I saw NY Power and assumed it was the electric utility! 🤪

Gee, I assumed you were kidding around. NYPower is a large annual launch weekend in Geneseo. It's only about a four hour drive from Pittsburgh.

Geneseo is a 45 minute drive. Potter is 40. So, yeah.

There's a club down near Greenwood Lake and the Muck Lands; I thought that is where Potter is, and I never looked them up.

Oh my bad, I guess. I saw NY Power and assumed it was the electric utility! 🤪

NYPower: https://nypower.org/

it's a 5 hr drive for you!! [slap] Same with URRF!! https://urrf.us/ [double slap]

"What happens at Country Charm (campground) stays at Country Charm!!!" 😂 :oops: :cheers::barf:😈🥃🍷🍸🍹🍾🍻🍺🥣🚀

NYPower is on the feild that is home to 'Movie belle' a fully flying B-17G (?) re-do of the famous "Memphis belle.." Got overflown by her last time I was there, and out looking for a rocket!

The Corning glass museum is on my list, as well as the Curtiss museum next time I'm down for either NYPower or URRF!

Corning glass and the Curtiss museum are both worth taking some extra time to see. The National Soaring Museum is in the Elmira area as well and worth a look if you are an airplane sort...

I have traveled a lot of Eastern Canada (and West for that matter). Camped at Trois-Rivieres on the way from Halifax to Montreal. Nice city Montreal, and the old city of Quebec was spectacular too. Nice part of the world.

Last edited:
Finished installing and setting up "Ring" motion light/camera (have some sketchy neighbors). Thanked (and paid) the guy that installed my vinyl fence for doing a great job. Like the commercial from late 70's/early 80's said--do a job like you would put your name on it!!

Repairing a laundry hamper frame that broke. Machining up a joining piece.

...and just finished bathing the cat.
As I've told many people, bathing a cat is easy. About two inches of warm (not hot) water in the tub. Shampoo meant specifically for cats, or baby shampoo. Oh BTW don't forget the chain mail. And three pairs of welding gloves.
:D
Best -- Terry

As I've told many people, bathing a cat is easy. About two inches of warm (not hot) water in the tub. Shampoo meant specifically for cats, or baby shampoo. Oh BTW don't forget the chain mail. And three pairs of welding gloves.
:D
Best -- Terry
Oh, no. Chainmail won't do. Their claws can slip between the links. Full plate, such as a Visby or Cherbourg.

Today (well, yesterday, technically) I discovered that a razor blade scraper is the ideal tool for removing long-term scale build-up from the smooth tile in my shower. Then I discovered that a paint scraper with a sufficiently sharp edge works extremely well also.

I have a bottle of Lime-Away but it gives off noxious fumes, so I try to limit its use. It's nice to have a chemical-free method for doing the large areas of the shower walls.

4 hours of sleep. I finally put the Chevy/ Penske Indy car poster in a poster frame for the first time since getting it at SuperChevy Sunday in Indianapolis back in 1985 or so. Some things take most of a lifetime to get done.

I've got about 1,100 lbs of subfloor to install... I'm about 3/4 of the way done.. Using Simpson subfloor screws and I'm trying to space everything to ensure no squeeks. It's tedious.. and time consuming.. but the results are outstanding.

Neatness Matters..JPG

Smoked a Boston butt.

Earlier this week, I called up The Meat House and put in an order for a Boston Butt. Asked for them to go ahead and rub it and I'd pick it up this morning when they open. 10am, picked up the 'butt and three pounds of Mo'Peppa breakfast sausage. Got home, got the smoker fired up and tossed the 'butt in. Took the sausage and pattied out two pounds of it using this nifty gadget that has hexagonal compartments and is made of silicone. Once it's all put together, it goes straight into the freezer. Originally made for hamburgers, but I'm using it for sausage today.

The BBQ came out nice. Shredded it up best I could and put it in the fridge for tomorrow's shindig with the fiancee' and her family.

I've got about 1,100 lbs of subfloor to install... I'm about 3/4 of the way done.. Using Simpson subfloor screws and I'm trying to space everything to ensure no squeeks. It's tedious.. and time consuming.. but the results are outstanding.

View attachment 433724

Hopefully you used lots of construction/subfloor adhesive that goes a very long way towards stopping squeaky floors, close spaced deck screws or "subfloor" screws work well with the adhesive. I hate squeaky floors, on our last home it was necessary to locate a few squeaks then go underneath the house and using thin wedges and wood glue "cure" the squeak.

Back