What I did today -instead- of Rocketry.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Geniece drove me to the ER at 3AM; back home @6:30AM. Fairly severe chest pain, but they did bloodwork when I came in and again at 5:30. Heart enzymes were essentially constant. Diagnosis: atypical chest pain.:dontknow:
Negative diagnosis: not a heart attack, safe to go home. Positive diagnosis as atypical sounds premature to this layman.

I posted about this over in Facebook a little while back but have not posted here yet.

A few months ago my wife was diagnosed with breast cancer. It has been a difficult and busy time getting ready for her surgery and recovery (including getting the house ready for her mom to stay with us for an extended period to help out). Maria had surgery several weeks ago and we have received good news / prognosis since then (still waiting on one more result of genetic testing - the uncertainty is really difficult). She is on the road to recovery and has been back at work for a couple of weeks now.

Sorry I have not had the time and mental energy to work on new rocket designs or to engage with the rocketry community online. I have been just trying to keep the household functioning and doing things with the kids to keep life as normal as possible for them.

I think that we can see the light at the end of the tunnel and I should be back up to speed soon. Thank you to everyone who follows me and my designs.

1718981767311.png

One thing we did a few weeks back to keep kids engaged and busy was to visit the Aviation Hall of Fame & Museum of New Jersey. This is a cute / small museum near Teterboro airport near us that talks about the role of NJ in aviation. They have a monthly open-cockpit day where the kids can get inside of most of the planes and helicopters (one helicopter was closed due to an ant infestation). I thought that the open-cockpit days used to be free (maybe off-season?) but not when we went.

1718984709307.jpeg 1718984902552.jpeg
1718984935944.jpeg 1718984949207.jpeg
1718985040825.jpeg

One especially interesting thing for me was the X-15 engine. I spent time creating all those little circular depressions on the single-engine retainer cap of the 3D model I designed of the X-15.

1718984778734.jpeg 1718984793541.jpeg
1718984831442.jpeg

They also had a ramjet but no one could tell me if it came from something (e.g., a Bomarc) or was just a test engine or something.

1718984876332.jpeg

Getting in the cockpits was definitely the highlight for the kids (although they also notice models I have designed and it makes everything more real for them as well).

1718985020764.jpeg

One thing we did a few weeks back to keep kids engaged and busy was to visit the Aviation Hall of Fame & Museum of New Jersey. This is a cute / small museum near Teterboro airport near us that talks about the role of NJ in aviation. They have a monthly open-cockpit day where the kids can get inside of most of the planes and helicopters (one helicopter was closed due to an ant infestation). I thought that the open-cockpit days used to be free (maybe off-season?) but not when we went.

View attachment 651910 View attachment 651915
View attachment 651916 View attachment 651917
View attachment 651919

One especially interesting thing for me was the X-15 engine. I spent time creating all those little circular depressions on the single-engine retainer cap of the 3D model I designed of the X-15.

View attachment 651911 View attachment 651912
View attachment 651913

They also had a ramjet but no one could tell me if it came from something (e.g., a Bomarc) or was just a test engine or something.

View attachment 651914

Getting in the cockpits was definitely the highlight for the kids (although they also notice models I have designed and it makes everything more real for them as well).

View attachment 651918
Also had a few model rockets on display. That Bell X-1 had a hard landing and had been repaired (too common the outcome for those odroc plane rockets).

1718985172429.jpeg
1718985187181.jpeg

The last couple of years I have had problems with dehydration, eyes focusing. tingling in my left hand, itchy scalp and wicked bouts of insomnia. A month ago, my Doc told me I was diabetic and hypertensive so he put me on drugs, made appointment to see a dietitian to help get my weight down. So I changed my diet to cut out sugars and lower my carbs and eat more meat - basically a keto diet. Plus staying away from ACE buffets. I've been educating myself and have learned that there is sugar in practically every processed food so I am cutting back on the carbs especially. And I need to exercise more. Well so far, the BP is down to just above normal and the blood sugars are coming down. Not yet to acceptable levels but getting there. Just started to lose weight too (only a few lbs so far). I am looking forward to my next A1c measurement in September (100 days between) to see real progress and I have a target for the 200 day measurement to get the weight down and hopefully off the meds at that point. Interim target points of below 120/80 BP, < 6.0 A1c, and >20 lbs weight loss. Blood tests say the cholesterol is good, kidneys are good, prostrate/testosterone good, just the diabetes and BP are the issue.

On another note: this spring I have been changing out various fluids in my vehicle, last one done today - especially all the ones Ford calls "lifetime" fluids! Brake fluid, radiator flush, transmission flush, PTU and differential (its an all-wheel drive), as well as replacing the filters, spark plugs, trailing arm bushings, and lug nuts. I am not a mechanic and don't know how to do most of this stuff nor do I have most of the required tools so it costs me a pretty penny when going to the dealer. I am still tempted to do some walnut blasting on the DFI valves (2.0 litre EcoBoost) but I don't think the mileage drop is that serious yet.

None the less, it feels like I am doing both vehicle maintenance and personal maintenance - looking forward to an extended life on both! LOL :eggnog:

Last edited:
Got confused for a minute…
Ya get used to it. Comparing the populations of wealthy industrialized countries in the free world, accounting for English fluency rates, and it makes sense that there would be a good few Ausies here. And yet, it often seems like there are more than a fair few. I haven't looked up the data and run the numbers, and I have no intention of doing so, so it might not be ?more than one should expect, but it feels that way.

Australia Rules The Skies!

Sharon and I went back up to our property near Trinidad, we call Weathertop. Took the rockets we flew at Hartsel, Co. back and organized the cargo trailer.
Rockets in cargo trailer.jpg

This weekends project was to clear about 1000 ft. of trees and brush from our property line to the top where we want to put a shop. We need a 400 amp service about half way up for the "Barndeminium" and a 200 amp service for the shop. The electric utility needs a 20 ft. wide area cleared to put up new poles and add the service.
Here is the view to the North towards the property line:

before to North Transformer.jpg

Here it is after we cut down four trees and cleared it of brush:
cleared to North with Grosser.jpg

This is the view to the South, up to the top of our property, with the old 100 amp service next to our toy hauler:
clearing to South.jpg

The new 400 amp service will be installed where the old 100 amp service is now. The Stealth is parked on the East side of the pad where the "Barndeminium" will be built. Last weekend we cleared the upper part of the right of way to the top, where the new shop will be built, hopefully before the end of this year.
Over the last two weekends, we cut about two cords of wood, this is the back of our truck:

3 stihls.jpg

Here is the flatbed trailer with the scraps from some of the clearing, we loaded it this morning in about an hour.
loaded flabed.jpg

Celebrated Father's day (work schedules for wife and two daughters finally aligned); made a chocolate malt cake (more malt next time) and we went to the new Texas Roadhouse for lunch. Filet mignon was excellent, barely past medium, just the way I like it.

Celebrated Father's day (work schedules for wife and two daughters finally aligned); made a chocolate malt cake (more malt next time) and we went to the new Texas Roadhouse for lunch. Filet mignon was excellent, barely past medium, just the way I like it.
Texas Roadhouse sounds familiar.
I saw something a few days ago about a restaurant that hires deaf waithelp and has placards on the tables explaining the ordering process.
Is that the same one?
What a great idea.

Got aboard NCL Encore for our annual conference / Alaska Cruise. Still in port in Seattle, WA. Depart at 17:30 ( or so ).

View attachment 652400
Fuel barge and tow boat.

Be back in TX in time for AARG Jul 6 launch.

-- kjh
Welcome to our fair city, at least for a couple more hours! While this could perhaps go into the nerdy facts thread, the fuel barge's predecessor company donated heavily to cancer, diabetes, and cystic fibrosis research. Most of their barges are named after researchers in those fields. Unfortunately, that company went under before they could name a boat "Cure Found."

Texas Roadhouse sounds familiar.
I saw something a few days ago about a restaurant that hires deaf waithelp and has placards on the tables explaining the ordering process.
Is that the same one?
What a great idea.
Afraid not. This one does Texas everything. Like cowboy fries, wrangler catfish, etc.

Worked on the kitchen renovation a bit- I’m doing the demo, wall repairs, flooring and painting. Others will install cabinets, countertop, and tile. I started in late April working toward a cabinet installation in late June. Now we’re looking at mid August…

Back