What I did today -instead- of Rocketry.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fighting my way through the bureaucratic morass today. It's time to "recertify" for State benefits. The only thing I'm getting is the premium for my prescription insurance paid for (somehow under the umbrella of "Medicaid"). After I turn in a copy of my bank statement tomorrow, I'll be done for another year. Now to take on SS/Medicare and get a glucose monitor.

No glue plastic kits, and 3d printing?

$200 budget, divided by 40 students... that is $5 a POP. Subtract $2 for the engine and you have $3 to build a rocket that can be put together in 2 30 min sessions, as the last three sessions will need to be spent launching them.

Had a doctors appointment. When I got there I asked if there was a doctor that was in charge of the pod. No, but there is a supervisor. I talked to her. I told her about my experience with my provider. That she either didn't read the list I gave her of mine and my wife's symptoms or didn't know what to do. Instead of focusing on the top four problems she focused on chest pains way down the list. She left the room and then stuck her head in and asked if I was having chest pains. I thought it odd she asked because it was on the list and in the comments I wrote I hadn't had any for two weeks. It was also vague. Since I had been having chest pains since my 20's I told her yes. EKG next. She came back and pointed at an elevated wave and told me I had to go to the ER. What she didn't say was that wave indicated a blockage. If she had I would have told her I know that, I've been seeing a Cardiologist since October. Wasn't happy and told her so at the next appointment. She ordered some labs. At the next appointment she tells me my cholesterol is good and I don't have a ulcer. What? I had already told her I had a colonoscopy and an upper GI a week before. Today I told this to her supervisor about all of this. I asked how is checking my cholesterol going to help diagnose what illness we have. And did she think the Proctologist was stupid and would have missed an ulcer. I told the supervisor I wanted some diagnosis testing done and I didn't want to see that provider again. I got the referrals and a new provider. I hope she got her ass chewed out. She is completely incompetent. That's the first time in my life I have had a bad doctor. Or in her case an NP. So now instead of being better I'm going to Oregon to play in our annual golf tournament and still feel like crap. Told that to her supervisor too along with some other choice words. After that I went to Walmart to get some things for my wife to eat while I'm gone so she won't starve. She thinks toast is a meal. She can cook but usually doesn't. I've been doing all the cooking for 20+ years. When I got home I put new batteries in her scooter.

That she either didn't read the list I gave her of mine and my wife's symptoms... I asked how is checking my cholesterol going to help diagnose what illness we have...
I've been meaning to ask this for a while. How similar are your symptoms, yours and your wife's? If you look at just the symptoms you have in common, ignore the rest (for a moment) what's left? It should be obvious what I'm getting at: do those symptoms common to you both fit with some sort of environmental factor such as mold, something toxic, etc.?

I'm wondering if I agreed too easily to this program, because I can't figure out how I'm going to get 40 students to build and launch all of their rockets in a total of 2 hours of time (in 30 minute increments!) on a budget of $200.
Our club uses BMS school rockets for build sessions. Easily built in 45 to 75 minutes. Even easier when its broken up. They are inexpensive too.
PM me if you want more details

Our club uses BMS school rockets for build sessions. Easily built in 45 to 75 minutes. Even easier when its broken up. They are inexpensive too.
PM me if you want more details

The very reason that BMS makes them. But they still cost more than $5 each ($6.49) without motors.

Fund raising is the only answer I can think of, and I have no idea if that's feasible is a short time.

The first and most obvious place to start fund raising is with the parents. If they'll kick in $5 each you'd have $10 per kid, $400 total (obviously).
  • School rocket kits from BMS: $259.60.
  • Bulk pack of 24 B6-4 motors from AC Supply: $89.99
    • (A8 bulk packs are probably available too, maybe less expensive, but this is what I found in a minute of searching.)
  • $50.41 remaining for shipping charges on the above, glue, and paint.
Hit up your local club(s) for launch pads and controllers. Even if it's just Port-a-pads and Electron Beams from members' own stuff, I'm sure several would be willing to loan them (and help out on launch day or before). I know I would, and rocket peoples is good peoples. So that stuff should be free.

That's still cutting it close, especially on the paint.

One last thought: get the kids to put their names on their rockets.

Yes, if there is time to fund raise; you could get all the rockets and maybe motors for free. But again, need to know the timeline.

The program is August 10th, but I need to be able to plan well ahead of that. Also I'm not particularly interested in fundraising right now - I also have a new baby and need to plan for the fall school semester.

I laid out my case that $200 is an impossible budget, and am waiting to see what kind of response I get.

Finished the Dumas Wildcat model.
It has a big design flaw that I realized late in the build, the wing and the rubber band are in the same plane, so the rubber rides over the wing inside the model, which will drastically rob power from the propeller. Even though, it should still fly pretty well, but not for longer than a couple of seconds. It is however a very nice kit is you want to build it for display.

IMG_5593_Small.jpg

Cut, split, and stacked about a half a cord of maple firewood. Splitting at our house is done by hand, either axe or wedge n sledge.

They had cleared a section of land next to our house and rather than see it all hauled away to the dump the company agreed to stack the logs in our back yard. Slowly but surely working through it. We're closing in on two cords out of it so far and phew got a lot more to go.

Worked on cleaning up my hearing aids, and my ears with hydrogen peroxide for 5 minutes in each ear. Ever since moving to North Carolina I have ear wax now and when we first moved down here my labrador retriever was exactly the same way as soon as we got down here, it was constant ear problems.

Temporary fencing came down today.
20240620_171739.jpg

Next week should be downpipes, flooring, shelving in wardrobes.

Hopefully handover by the end of July. Then still need to get concrete driveway, crossover, paths etc done. Should be a bit of concrete I think. First quote came in at $52k :( .

Last edited:
Temporary fencing came down today.
View attachment 651718

Next week should be downpipes, flooring, shelving in wardrobes.

Hopefully handove by the end of July. Then still need to get concrete driveway, crossover, paths etc done. Should be a bit of concrete I think. First quote came in at $52k
Looking great :bravo:

Geniece drove me to the ER at 3AM; back home @6:30AM. Fairly severe chest pain, but they did bloodwork when I came in and again at 5:30. Heart enzymes were essentially constant. Diagnosis: atypical chest pain.:dontknow:

When was the last time you had a Heart Cath or other similar diagnostic that looks for blockages ?

Back