What I did today -instead- of Rocketry.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We went out to the annual bagpipe concert at the Seattle Locks. They have some Irish dancers perform as well.

Every year I’m reminded of what kind of monsters the Scots must be. They have a whole series of marches in 3/4 time.
DAC39DDB-234C-4954-B8C8-4989A9561AB0.jpeg

We went out to the annual bagpipe concert at the Seattle Locks. They have some Irish dancers perform as well.

Every year I’m reminded of what kind of monsters the Scots must be. They have a whole series of marches in 3/4 time.
3/4 time? How many legs does a Scotsman have?

Visited my Dad yesterday, man he is knocked down a lot of pegs by his cancer. Hard to see a guy that couldn't sit down barely able to walk. Good news is they have cleared the cancer in his spinal fluid and are starting the attack on the rest of him tomorrow. This has a descent chance of buying him a hand full of years of good uears before inevitible relapse, but he is way down the list of treatments at this point. I really hope he gets back to the point he can come see us in France. He is a huge WW2 (and other) history buff, I would love to take him on a long tour of the places he's read about while getting to show him all the stuff that drew us to move there.

Visited my Dad yesterday, man he is knocked down a lot of pegs by his cancer. Hard to see a guy that couldn't sit down barely able to walk. Good news is they have cleared the cancer in his spinal fluid and are starting the attack on the rest of him tomorrow. This has a descent chance of buying him a hand full of years of good uears before inevitible relapse, but he is way down the list of treatments at this point. I really hope he gets back to the point he can come see us in France. He is a huge WW2 (and other) history buff, I would love to take him on a long tour of the places he's read about while getting to show him all the stuff that drew us to move there.
He sounds like he’s doing pretty good considering how much it’s spread!

Daughter and Son in Law took me to a Steak House today. Had a large Bone in Ribeye Medium Rare. It was good it has been about 4+ years since I had one of those.

I did spray a small rocket with white paint today however. Paint that "actually works" without surprises built-in is expensive now.

Did not celebrate Father's Day. 's'okay, getting a Saturday or Sunday when all three ladies are not working is difficult, so we postpone celebrations. We'll do it Saturday. Dunno where I want to go for dinner, but dessert will be a chocolate malt cake made by me.

So today wife and elder daughter were working. I ran the dishwasher and a load of laundry, handwashed a few dishes, picked up prescriptions and a few groceries I'd forgotten on Friday, and did a frontal assault on those sugar-eating ants and on aphids on my tomato plant.

Oh, and I watched a colorized version of 'The Mark of Zorro'. Not bad but not much of an improvement over the b/w.

discovered a massive leak in our irrigation along the back fence. It was a bog. I turned off the system and have to fix it quickly
If you're talking about something similar to lawn sprinklers, those things are mostly crap. The plumbing and hardware used is pretty low quality and they have problems frequently. Every one of the 3 houses I've owned that had sprinkler systems has been continual headaches- bad layout of heads, pipes that break underground, valves that leak, wiring that breaks underground, things like that. At my current house I can expect 1 or maybe 2 repairs per year. This year turned the system on in the spring and 2 zones weren't working so I called my repair friend. We found one valve and ran a new wire to it. The other valve was near bushes, plants and paving stones per our plan and per their sounding instrument but they could not find the valve. We found one of the heads on the other end of that circuit, installed a new valve there and ran a pipe over to the supply line. Last year I had a circuit that leaked continually. Our electronic water meter would signal the city water department that we had a leak and they would send us threatening emails. I finally determined what circuit it was and had the valve replaced. Also last year we had to add some heads because we had big zones that weren't covered. The year before we had some pipes break underground so we had big leaks. I dug those up and spliced them.

So if you have a leak in one spot, you could have a valve that doesn't turn off completely. There is actually a manual valve on each solenoid that you can activate there to test a circuit without having to turn it on at the controller. We had one of those that was leaking constantly, just had to back out a screw and it stopped. If that isn't the problem then you might have a supply pipe broken underground and leaking all the time. This is harder to find but you can turn off the water to the entire system, wait for everything to dry up, turn the water back on and see where damp ground appears first.

Today I worked on my Jeep- finishing installation of a new front trackbar to control axle oscilation at certain highway speeds. It took more time and work than it should have because the new aftermarket bar didn't just slip in place. A lot of car repairs are like that. When I was a full time mechanic I was a lot faster, now that I just work on my own cars occasionally I'm not as fast and don't overcome problems as easily. I finally got it finished, took it for a test drive and that problem is fixed.

Last edited:
I spent way too much time playing back the bad stuff in my youth. i'm filled full of sadness and regret now . :(
I have that problem too, I'm not talking about robbery or anything serious like that, I'm real sensitive to situations where I might have caused someone discomfort so my threshold is triggered pretty easily. And I'm not talking about just my youth, little things like this happen throughout my life and I'll randomly remember something.

I have that problem too, I'm not talking about robbery or anything serious like that, I'm real sensitive to situations where I might have caused someone discomfort so my threshold is triggered pretty easily. And I'm not talking about just my youth, little things like this happen throughout my life and I'll randomly remember something.
I have multiple problems and they are like not being able to forget things that are bad and unable to forgive people. But I'm hardest on myself for all those things that I should have, could have, and would have done. Yeah, I remember the stuff back in grade school. :(

If you're talking about something similar to lawn sprinklers, those things are mostly crap. The plumbing and hardware used is pretty low quality and they have problems frequently. Every one of the 3 houses I've owned that had sprinkler systems has been continual headaches- bad layout of heads, pipes that break underground, valves that leak, wiring that breaks underground, things like that. At my current house I can expect 1 or maybe 2 repairs per year. This year turned the system on in the spring and 2 zones weren't working so I called my repair friend. We found one valve and ran a new wire to it. The other valve was near bushes, plants and paving stones per our plan and per their sounding instrument but they could not find the valve. We found one of the heads on the other end of that circuit, installed a new valve there and ran a pipe over to the supply line. Last year I had a circuit that leaked continually. Our electronic water meter would signal the city water department that we had a leak and they would send us threatening emails. I finally determined what circuit it was and had the valve replaced. Also last year we had to add some heads because we had big zones that weren't covered. The year before we had some pipes break underground so we had big leaks. I dug those up and spliced them.

So if you have a leak in one spot, you could have a valve that doesn't turn off completely. There is actually a manual valve on each solenoid that you can activate there to test a circuit without having to turn it on at the controller. We had one of those that was leaking constantly, just had to back out a screw and it stopped. If that isn't the problem then you might have a supply pipe broken underground and leaking all the time. This is harder to find but you can turn off the water to the entire system, wait for everything to dry up, turn the water back on and see where damp ground appears first.

Today I worked on my Jeep- finishing installation of a new front trackbar to control axle oscilation at certain highway speeds. It took more time and work than it should have because the new aftermarket bar didn't just slip in place. A lot of car repairs are like that. When I was a full time mechanic I was a lot faster, now that I just work on my own cars occasionally I'm not as fast and don't overcome problems as easily. I finally got it finished, took it for a test drive and that problem is fixed.
Five of the dripper heads had blown of the spaghetti lines. The banks for the trees run for 30 minutes. That's a lot of water. Replaced all the drippers and turned off those banks. I'll worry about it when I get back from Oregon on the 30th.

Today I fixed the leak in the irrigation along the back fence, I hope. Changed out a litter box and filled the new one. Used 76 pounds of litter. That's about $60 worth of litter. Did a couple loads of laundry.

I had a virtual meeting today about the "summer experience" I'm suppose to be doing in August with incoming 9th graders.

I'm supposed to build rockets with these students. I get 30 minutes a day, for 4 days, with 10 students. My complete budget can't exceed $200. That's for - I believe - 40 students.

I'm wondering if I agreed too easily to this program, because I can't figure out how I'm going to get 40 students to build and launch all of their rockets in a total of 2 hours of time (in 30 minute increments!) on a budget of $200.

I had a virtual meeting today about the "summer experience" I'm suppose to be doing in August with incoming 9th graders.

I'm supposed to build rockets with these students. I get 30 minutes a day, for 4 days, with 10 students. My complete budget can't exceed $200. That's for - I believe - 40 students.

I'm wondering if I agreed too easily to this program, because I can't figure out how I'm going to get 40 students to build and launch all of their rockets in a total of 2 hours of time (in 30 minute increments!) on a budget of $200.
No glue plastic kits, and 3d printing?

Back