What I did today -instead- of Rocketry.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
True I have BP it’s FFF though, it was even free! I was thinking out loud mostly and I Learned a bit about fireworks.

Ps my grandpa is/was a gunsmith in rural NC.
People have successfully used FFF in ejection charges. The particles are a little bigger and burn a little longer, so you need to protect the chute a bit better. And of course, test what you fly and fly what you test. I'm sure there are others who will have more constructive suggestions.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, I would expect it to be packed, not loose, no matter what it is. And by "unknown composition" I meant that even if it is BP, there's considerable variability in BP recipes for particular purposes. (Aside: the smell of sulfur dioxide from Estes engines is unmistakable as well. My daughter once told me she likes the smell of BP smoke because it reminds her of me. ❤️:))

I bet you can find a store not too far away to buy a can of the tried and true stuff without much effort; Google it. Even if you can't, add that $50 to the price of a good size can, divide that by the number of flights you'll get out of that can, and it really doesn't amount to much.

(It comes in 1 lb cans, or about 450 g. Let's say a little bit is spilled while filling charge canisters, so you only get to use, I don't know, 430 g. (That's almost 4.5% loss, which seems pretty sloppy.) If you have primary and backup canisters, both for drogue and main parachutes, and 2 g in each canister, that's 8 g per flight. If I'm not mistaken, that's quite a lot. 430 g over 8 g/flight is 54 flights, so the $50 shipping charge costs you less than $1/flight. On a flight needing that much deployment power the motor probably cost a few hundred at least.)
The 2F BP used for lifting shells is loose, just poured in place. It's supposed to burn all at once but whereas it's 2F, it burns just slowly enough for a good lift.

If there's a launch with a dealer around, and the dealer has 4F to sell, the shipping charges are zero. Even so, your analysis is correct, the cost of BP for rocket use isn't prohibitive, considering the number of launches and the amount used per launch.

I rarely use all the 4F provided with a reload. After a few commercial motors, the amount of leftovers can be significant.

People have successfully used FFF in ejection charges. The particles are a little bigger and burn a little longer, so you need to protect the chute a bit better. And of course, test what you fly and fly what you test. I'm sure there are others who will have more constructive suggestions.
I know that, I’ve tested on the ground. It would be nice to have the proper stuff but whatever.

I know that, I’ve tested on the ground. It would be nice to have the proper stuff but whatever.
Also, for nearly any quantity that you are actually going to need, ask at your next launch if you can buy a reasonable quantity from another rocketeer. Someone will be willing to sell it to you and I wouldn't be surprised if someone just gave you an ounce or two. As @jqavins calculated out above, the actual amount of BP used is pretty minimal.

I am gobsmacked. Caught up with a friend I haven't seen since before covid. He has gifted me his recently deceased father's Icom IC-7600 transceiver, automatic antenna tuner and antenna. Amazing. He remembered I have an interest in amateur radio and have an advanced license. Absolutely amazing. He is happy it is going to a good home.

It's nice to be on the receiving end of a random act of kindness :) .

I am gobsmacked. Caught up with a friend I haven't seen since before covid. He has gifted me his recently deceased father's Icom IC-7600 transceiver, automatic antenna tuner and antenna. Amazing. He remembered I have an interest in amateur radio and have an advanced license. Absolutely amazing. He is happy it is going to a good home.

It's nice to be on the receiving end of a random act of kindness :) .
Hmmm....I need to get the TenTec operational so we can have a sked.

Wonder if there's enough folks to hold a monthly TRF net on 75m phone? Or, maybe on one of the digital modes?

Been a bit quiet on here, and in life in general, as I have been busy painting. Our house has three gables and I was quoted a silly amount of dollars to have someone else paint it, so I decided to do it myself. Hired a cherry-picker for the King's Birthday weekend. Three days (ok, really just two because of rain on the Saturday) up the cherry-picker got the highest gable caulked, primed and painted in the original colors. Had to screw some of the trim back on as the carpenters put far too much faith in nails. Also had to replace a piece of trim (used some merbau decking) to replace a piece of banana wood.
GablePlusMe.jpg

Gable.jpg
You can see the new paint on the upper gable. Lower one not painted yet in the pic. Painting the lower gable is complicated by the three-phase 240Vac power running past me on the ladder. I have thrown a rubber mat over it to provide some extra insulation and safety.

Spent a couple of days doing other things, then jumped in and painted the cream on the lower gable yesterday. Up the ladder today to paint the red and the cream still hadn't dried yet :( . Switched to Plan B which was to paint the carport gable. Started with the red since I had it in a bucket ready to go. Also painted some downpipes and other features where needed since I already had the red out.

Also caulked and painted the lintels under the windows on the porch. Our real estate guy says that people waiting to come in for inspections tend to look around while they are queuing to get in the door, so anything there needs to be in A1 condition.

Painting the fretwork and remains of the gables will happen if the weather holds. It is winter here, 5*C overnight and around 12*C during the day. Humidity >80% constantly.

Also need to pressure-wash the Colorbond roofing. Tweaking the street-appeal. So much to do, so little time.

Also been doing other tasks that need doing before the house goes on the market. I am so looking forward to going back to work next Monday, for a break.

Since it is the end of the financial year there are some sales on. Purchased a set of Bahco files and a replacement mash hammer for one that I lost on the building site. They turned up Wednesday.
Tools.jpg

True I have BP it’s FFF though, it was even free! I was thinking out loud mostly and I Learned a bit about fireworks.

Ps my grandpa is/was a gunsmith in rural NC.

FFF is fine for a 1858 Shootin' Iron, I would not use it in an ejection charge.

FFFF 4F is used in the Flash Pan for Flint Locks. Where the phrase "That's just a Flash in the Pan" came from*

* Meaning an Idea or Thing that does not last very long.

Last edited:
I wonder if that’s a source for BP, any idea what F it is?

(Where's the "Nope!" reaction when you need it?) Ripping open fireworks and grinding up the powder inside sounds like a VERY BAD idea, and so does using the unknown substance in a rocket.

Nope, it is a "mix" that would not work well for Rocket Ejection Charges.

Just adding on here. Don't tear apart commercial fireworks.

The only loose BP in fireworks are in the lift cups for shells and cakes. Typically display shells like you see in a professional show use 2FA, although larger shells might use FA and smaller shells like for consumer use might use 4FA. Note the A instead of the G. Fireworks use blasting grade powders instead of the graphite coated powders for shooting. The sizing is different, 4FG powder is finer than 4FA and will burn at a faster rate than 4FA due to the surface area. It cannot be a 1:1 substitute unless you account for the mesh size of the BP.

The other compositions in fireworks are either similar to BP with added metals or are often types of flash or whistle mixes. Some might be pressed into tubes, balls or cylinders, others might be loose. These are friction sensitive and the more sensitive ones can self contain under their own weight. They aren't really things to mess with without proper, in-person, instruction and in a proper, safe, and legal place to manufacture explosives.

Anyone who thinks they want to mess with this stuff should read about the worm farm in TN first and how that disaster ended up helping forensic science.

Just adding on here. Don't tear apart commercial fireworks.

The only loose BP in fireworks are in the lift cups for shells and cakes. Typically display shells like you see in a professional show use 2FA, although larger shells might use FA and smaller shells like for consumer use might use 4FA. Note the A instead of the G. Fireworks use blasting grade powders instead of the graphite coated powders for shooting. The sizing is different, 4FG powder is finer than 4FA and will burn at a faster rate than 4FA due to the surface area. It cannot be a 1:1 substitute unless you account for the mesh size of the BP.

The other compositions in fireworks are either similar to BP with added metals or are often types of flash or whistle mixes. Some might be pressed into tubes, balls or cylinders, others might be loose. These are friction sensitive and the more sensitive ones can self contain under their own weight. They aren't really things to mess with without proper, in-person, instruction and in a proper, safe, and legal place to manufacture explosives.

Anyone who thinks they want to mess with this stuff should read about the worm farm in TN first and how that disaster ended up helping forensic science.
I wasn’t going to go rip one open, I was mostly curious about what’s in there, I have heard to many stories to mess with BP and friends without knowing exactly what I’m doing and how I’m going to do it.

I wasn’t going to go rip one open, I was mostly curious about what’s in there, I have heard to many stories to mess with BP and friends without knowing exactly what I’m doing and how I’m going to do it.
Good.

My comment is not just aimed at you, but others reading or who may stumble on this thread in the future as well. Questions about getting BP come up and this isn't the first time someone has mentioned using fireworks as a source.

Working on replacing the front track bar in my Jeep. I received the new one, measured the hardware and had to order a couple of wrenches, when they came in I started working on it but ran out of time and energy. I'll have to complete it on Sunday.

The boy and I spent the afternoon replacing the 1998 MX5 NB8A's front brake rotor discs and pads with brand new ones. Took it for a test drive afterwards and it was sweet!
The plan is to do the rear ones tomorrow, but we'll see; might just go for a chill drive.
When I was 16 my father bought a '69 Mustang for us to restore. I was more interested in computer and we never did restore it.

16 year old me was dumb.

I've been missing because my keyboard died. I had sticky keys and tried to clean it. Killed it instead. I know the owner of the computer shop we use. He's been to the house a few times to help us with anything computer. He told me it would be to expensive to fix and sold me a wireless keyboard and mouse.
When was I last here, Wednesday I think. Don't remember much. I was spraying bugs one night and discovered a massive leak in our irrigation along the back fence. It was a bog. I turned off the system and have to fix it quickly. Trouble is I have way more to do before Wednesday. My wife, Glenda from now on, wants more grab bars in the bathroom. That's priority one. As for the leak I think I'll just turn off that bank and see if that does the trick. I also need to change the batteries in Glenda's scooter. That won't take long. That's the critical stuff. A few months ago the head lights on the Mustang quit on the way home at night. Good thing the fog lights worked and I was close to home. I don't drive it much any more so I wasn't in a hurry to get it fixed. I called the local Chevy dealer and they told me they don't work on cars that old. ? . It's not old it's a 2007. The Ranger is old, it's a 94. I thought it was a fuse. Looked at a diagram and saw the headlights have 4 fuses. Ok then a relay. Went to NAPA. When I went back outside to pull the relay I unlocked the car and saw my head lights reflected on the building. ? . Ok, I got windshield wipers instead. I hope the head lights work when I get back from Oregon on the 30th because it will be dark when we land. Now the interesting thing. As I got to the side road NAPA is on I signaled a right. The car on that road was signaling a left and pulled out. There was a car in the inside lane coming up. The car turning left stopped in the middle of inside lane. The other driver stood on her breaks. I heard the ABS working. She didn't have anywhere to go. I was on her right and she had no time or space to stop. Since the lady who pulled out had stopped in her lane she T-boned the car. I saw the whole thing since it happened right beside me. I parked at NAPA and went to talk with the lady who hit the other car and told her I saw the whole thing and would be at NAPA. She was bleeding a lot from her right hand and had about a 10 year old girl with her. I told her an ambulance would probably come with the cops. I was surprised one didn't. Fire truck yes. Ambulance no. I also told her she needed to go to the ER. Cops got there fast. The State Trooper office is about two blocks from the accident. Two Sheriff deputies got there fast to. I told the Trooper I saw the whole thing a would give a statement when I was done at NAPA. It's been a long time since I saw an accident that close to me. I'm sure the driver that failed to yield got a ticket. The other drivers car had all the air bags deployed and by the look of the damage her car is probably totaled. In fact both cars are probably totaled. I didn't tell her to do it but I hope she sues the other driver. As I have said many times. The number one activity in Pahrump is to pull out in front of somebody and not leave them room to stop and to go 10 mph below the speed limit. At one intersection I go through when I go to town it has happened to me dozens of times in the last 20 years. The worst was a guy that pulled out of the side road about 200 yards in front of me and then stopped blocking both lanes. I also had no where to go. I was driving our first Explorer ST. Big 4 wheel disk breaks. I stopped about 3' short. Whew. Every time I come up to that intersection I do exactly the speed limit and expect someone to pull out in front of me. Happens all the time. I think that catches me up.

We have a T-intersection near us, and it has the local swimming pool nearby. It is amazing how many come out of that side road without giving way to thru traffic. They are full of endorphins from their exercise and their brains are not functioning well enough to drive safely. Speed limit (50kph), foot primed over brake pedal and hands ready on horn every time I drive past..

Back