What I did today -instead- of Rocketry.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ate some chicken breast that wasn't cooked good enough and then threw it all back up 3 hours later, so I won't be eating any chicken for awhile.

This is the exact reason why I would rather have dry & crunchy chicken/turkey over moist & juicy chicken/turkey any day. If it takes a glass of water per slice of meat, I'm ok with that as opposed to food poisoning...

*Installed four heavy floor tie down rings, four light floor rings, and a dozen additional d-rings on the walls of my cargo/rocket trailer.
*Transplanted a half dozen hydroponic tomato plants into 5 gallon buckets.
*Made a new self watering seed starter rig and started a bunch of new lettuce, bok choy, and cucumber seeds.
*Finished repairs on our porch swing.

Okay, that wasn't all *today* but it was this weekend. As well as working six hours today on my "day off."

I got up this morning to make ceviche for supper tonight. There were two packages of fish. The fish counter had two fillets, a little short of the desired amount, so my wife got a third small, packaged fillet. It was even on discount! And she realized her mistake just as I started to cut things up, the packaged piece first.

So I've got the fresh fish pickling in lime juice, but I was left with strips of not so fresh fish that has to be well cooked right away or thrown out. I decided to make fresh cooked fish sticks to have for breakfast. Dredge in flour, dip in egg wash, coat with bread crumbs, and fry.

Then I bit into one and got a strong taste of ammonia. The whole batch went into the trash. (sigh)

This morning, I made "Humus Msabah," a Lebanese recipe that I can now make from memory, mostly because it's extremely simple. And when I mean extremely, I mean completely extremely. It almost makes itself.

Then I had this strange impulse to read the copy of "Our American Cousin" that I bought at Ford's Theater about 5 to 6 years ago. It didn't take long to read, but, since the play itself hasn't dated too well, I'd have to say the experience was more entertaining from a historical perspective. It's hard to get past the line where Lincoln was shot. The rest of the play feels a little irrelevant after that. But it was interesting, at least. I don't regret reading it.

I have also discovered that mashed potatoes on pizza can actually work, though it seems gastronomically impossible. This was proven yet again tonight.

This is the exact reason why I would rather have dry & crunchy chicken/turkey over moist & juicy chicken/turkey any day. If it takes a glass of water per slice of meat, I'm ok with that as opposed to food poisoning...
"Extra extra very extremely over well-done". That is how I like my steaks and frequently ask restaurants to cook them like that :) .

My wife and I have been house/land hunting since March of this year. One of the key requirements from me was, the property had to have a pond so I could fish whenever I wanted to. This presents a problem, as the requirement was also a limiting factor in what we could find. I decided to compromise; I said I will give up the private pond idea, if I could get a 1970 1973 2nd Gen Camaro instead... she said deal!!! So yeah, I have been car shopping instead of rocketry... to boot, and this was her suggestion, the property should have a a garage for the Camaro, which also doubles as a Rocket Shop!!

So, no Camaro found yet, but I did order myself the Fisher Body Service Manual for all 70 -73 F-Body cars...

1970-f-fisher-body-service-manual-chevrolet-camaro-pontiac-firebird-27.jpg

My wife and I have been house/land hunting since March of this year. One of the key requirements from me was, the property had to have a pond so I could fish whenever I wanted to. This presents a problem, as the requirement was also a limiting factor in what we could find. I decided to compromise; I said I will give up the private pond idea, if I could get a 1970 1973 2nd Gen Camaro instead... she said deal!!! So yeah, I have been car shopping instead of rocketry... to boot, and this was her suggestion, the property should have a a garage for the Camaro, which also doubles as a Rocket Shop!!

So, no Camaro found yet, but I did order myself the Fisher Body Service Manual for all 70 -73 F-Body cars...

View attachment 425266
Make sure when you do get that G2 Camaro, checkout Original Parts Group, Auto Metal Direct, and YearOne, between the three of them you could build a Gen2 Camaro from new parts, Detroit Muscle by PowerNation has some good videos of doing rebuilds on these old cars.

View attachment 425266

We've got a numbers matching '69. These are great cars and hold their value well. One piece of advice from a guy that's built 2 ground up hot-rods: get one that's nice that doesn't need to much work. Things get expensive real quick.

You could have a pond dug and stocked with fish (we've done that too) for less money than you'll ultimately have in the Camaro.

005 Torque Thrust Wheels and BFG Rubber and New Front Spoiler.jpg

Our Ohio Pond.jpg

I don't know if this belongs in this thread or the "what did you do rocket-wise today" one. This morning I had a dream that I was at a launch where they had a Big Daddy drag race. I was thinking it would be 5-10 or something, but then they lit off a couple hundred (?!) on smoky motors. Some lawn darted, some land sharked, and some flew well. As I was dodging pieces, I picked up a bunch of nose cones whose rockets had gotten damaged, intending to use them as nose and tail cones on pods attached to a 6" tube I have in the basement as an L3 project.

So, Dr. Freud, what does that mean? :oops:

My brother in-law's mother died a week back, so her funeral was just now. Her son is stuck in Brunei and unable to travel for the funeral. Difficult times for him and his family. Funerals via webex are completely different.

We've got a numbers matching '69. These are great cars and hold their value well. One piece of advice from a guy that's built 2 ground up hot-rods: get one that's nice that doesn't need to much work. Things get expensive real quick.

You could have a pond dug and stocked with fish (we've done that too) for less money than you'll ultimately have in the Camaro.

View attachment 425323

View attachment 425325

Wow, gorgeous on both of those investments... my wife quickly pointed out that I can take the Camaro with me, but not the pond (she does not care for "skeeter breeders").

Dang, is that a spring fed or wet weather pond?

A pond like that can reduce mosquitoes in the area. I heard on the radio about someone who put in a small pond to act as a reflector for his passive solar setup. He had a mosquito problem, so he stocked the pond with skeeter eaters. It turned out that the mosquitoes were so attracted to the pond that they virtually stopped laying anywhere else, and the fish got the larva, so he ended up with fewer mosquitoes that he'd had before.

Wow, gorgeous on both of those investments... my wife quickly pointed out that I can take the Camaro with me, but not the pond (she does not care for "skeeter breeders").

Dang, is that a spring fed or wet weather pond?

Wet weather, with a well / windmill. We had it dug back when we lived in Ohio. They said it would take 3 years to fill. We had a heavy snow and a quick thaw. I came home from work and heard what sounded like a waterfall. the run off filled the pond in less than 24 hours. Once full it was easy to keep it topped off using the windmill.

Flaming Windmill.JPG

Just finished putting the new motor drive system on the gate. Previous one died after about 25 years of work. Incidentally, the old drive used a car windscreen wiper motor to drive the 10' wide gate. Geared down, of course.

It's these occasional little jobs that need welding that remind me how bad my welding gets when I don't do it for a while :(.

I do like me some pickled ocra. Normally think of ocra as an ingredient rather than a food in itself. When it's pickled that goes out the window.
My favorite version of Okra is corn meal breaded and fried along with a green tomato and some yellow squash, pickled okra is good too....the only nasty version is boiled.

Trimmed trees yesterday.
Cleared gutters.
Secured loose objects around the house.
Charged batteries for flashlights,
Stocked up the 14 day hurricane preparedness kit (water, canned goods, medical supplies, etc.).
Hunkering down today for Hurricane Douglas.
Stay safe I make sure you have enough rocket kits & glue to ride it out. :)

Trimmed trees yesterday.
Cleared gutters.
Secured loose objects around the house.
Charged batteries for flashlights,
Stocked up the 14 day hurricane preparedness kit (water, canned goods, medical supplies, etc.).
Hunkering down today for Hurricane Douglas.
Stay safe. Looks to be a wet and wild ride for a bit but it could a lot worse from the predictions I've seen.

Back