What I did today -instead- of Rocketry.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hiked down to the Rio Grande river from Cebolla mesa campground with Sharon and her father Riley. 760 ft. Vertical in 1.2 miles. This part of the river is “special trout waters” with a two fish limit. Riley caught 15 fish, mostly “tourist trout” less than 12” long, which he threw back in, and kept three. I caught 4 and kept two, and Sharon caught two and kept one.
0E412D08-29CF-465C-B419-05735635ADAE.jpeg
They look a bit rough because I packed them out in a day pack.
Riley’s big fish is the middle one at 16”, this was mine:
957A07FA-EA3B-48F5-B791-A97B6C46A30B.jpeg
The hike down to the river was rough, with lots of rocks, but a clearly marked trail. Climbing back out with all those fish in my pack almost did me in.
Here is where we fished:
D5A3CBC7-5EBC-4041-9E5A-57FAAEBEF34A.jpeg

Inventoried a Michael's. 13 hours in the store. Not a happy camper.

Hiked down to the Rio Grande river from Cebolla mesa campground with Sharon and her father Riley. 760 ft. Vertical in 1.2 miles. This part of the river is “special trout waters” with a two fish limit. Riley caught 15 fish, mostly “tourist trout” less than 12” long, which he threw back in, and kept three. I caught 4 and kept two, and Sharon caught two and kept one.
View attachment 420669
They look a bit rough because I packed them out in a day pack.
Riley’s big fish is the middle one at 16”, this was mine:
View attachment 420671
The hike down to the river was rough, with lots of rocks, but a clearly marked trail. Climbing back out with all those fish in my pack almost did me in.
Here is where we fished:
View attachment 420672

One of the reasons I was not a happy camper is that my future brother in law and my fiancee' went to Townsend, TN last week. FBIL went fishing and brought back trout, which he fried last night. I got home and had to have reheated trout because of folks not showing up for work. /smh

New brakes on the old Buick kept me busy for a couple of weekends. New hydro boost unit and master cylinder too. Work better than new.
E7B93479-B6B9-4F01-B864-88AF05F8E4CE.jpeg0803DC3A-07ED-4386-B9D5-17EC63909613.jpeg73982C0C-03FA-4375-9D2B-04E8CC930035.jpeg491C1160-D5B1-4938-B59D-13436AA61CE1.jpeg

Oh, there's some mighty fine eatin' on one o' them!

Riley does all the cleaning of the fish, and he has a rule that he won’t clean a trout that is less than 12”. He cleaned all those trout and we each ate one that we had caught. Sharon helped Riley with his big fish, and I thoroughly enjoyed the one in the second picture. Bigger trout are easier to eat because the bones are easier to remove.
We three have harvested over 100 trout in the last twelve days. Some were eaten fresh, which is the BEST way to enjoy trout. Some we smoked for later, and a bunch have been vacuum packed and frozen.

One of the reasons I was not a happy camper is that my future brother in law and my fiancee' went to Townsend, TN last week. FBIL went fishing and brought back trout, which he fried last night. I got home and had to have reheated trout because of folks not showing up for work. /smh

Even reheated fried trout is better than a can of tuna fish.

Riley does all the cleaning of the fish, and he has a rule that he won’t clean a trout that is less than 12”. He cleaned all those trout and we each ate one that we had caught. Sharon helped Riley with his big fish, and I thoroughly enjoyed the one in the second picture. Bigger trout are easier to eat because the bones are easier to remove.
We three have harvested over 100 trout in the last twelve days. Some were eaten fresh, which is the BEST way to enjoy trout. Some we smoked for later, and a bunch have been vacuum packed and frozen.

True, dat!

Thirty second salmonid cleaning (until you get into big ones), slit belly, flip it over cut down behind the head just through the vertebra. Pull the head down and toward the rear, everything comes out in one piece. I go fishing with my brother in a high lake near Kalispell MT. We catch 7 to 9 inch Kokanee salmon which are very tasty. The daily limit is 50 so if they are hitting you need a fast method to deal with them. Great smoked. I've also caught 24 - 28 inch browns in the East Rosebud. Seldom keep them because the small ones taste much better.

Helped my son install new rotors on his Mazda 3. Old ones would not come off. Cut the first one off. Decided to really hit the second with the 3 lb hammer. Gear puller worked fine after that.IMG_20200616_174055.jpg

On Monday I was going to run into Spooner, WI to do some grocery shopping & pick up some water softener salt. Got the dogs in the car, fired it up, but it wouldn't come out of Park. So back into the house (dogs very disappointed BTW) and did some Googling. It sounded like my shift interface solenoid was not working. So I pulled the shift stick & boot and saw that mice had chewed the four wires going to the solenoid. :mad:

Yesterday I started fixing this. So in order to get to that unit I had to totally remove the center console. And every step of the way I had to Google to find the way to remove them without breaking them. I finally disassembled every thing and was able to unplug the harness that goes into the solenoid unit. I took it into the house (it hit 89 F here yesterday) and soldered some extension wires and put heat shrink over them. Then I dded more heat shrink tubing that I would need when soldering the new wires to the harness. Then I stripped & tinned the ends.

Then I went out to the car and soldered the new wires to the old ones. Since there was only 3/4" of wire it was tough to get my wire stripper in there and strip the wires without making them even shorter. I finally got them soldered & the heat shrink tubing on. Plugged the connector back in and fired up the car. I pushed the brake pedal and I was able to shift out of Park! :music1: Spent the rest of the day cleaning & reassembling the console. I have a few more panels to replace.

Does anyone know of a mouse repellent that actually works & smells OK? I'm putting mouse traps in there but so far no luck. And I don't want to use poison as I don't want to put up with the stink of a rotting mouse in my HVAC.
Shifter.jpgRepaired Solenoid Plug.jpgSolenoidFinalRepair.jpg

Took the GRE scoring 162/162. A bit of an underperformance. Well the verbal was mid-range as I had been doing 160 to 164 on the practice tests. Quant section was low as I had been doing 162 to 168 during practice. Can't really complain though, I only gave myself parts of 10 days to prep and it is above any scores needed for quant psych degree programs.

Went to the Gun Range to site in my 2 AR-Platform rifles.
1. AR-15 with iron sights and a Redot™ co-witnessed (gas system - std mil spec Colt) CBC Industries lower receiver
2. AR-18 redesigned by Brownells (BRN-180 Upper receiver, piston system) 3D printed lower & butt stock with extra mag holder... 1x - 4.5x Scope

Affirmed once more that I love doing chemistry, but I HATE WRITING AND REVIEWING PATENTS! Of course, if it wasn't worth patenting they wouldn't be paying me to do the chemsitry part.

I promise to the several people waiting on custom design and print stuff, that once we file this beast (and I take a couple days to drink beer by the pool) I will get your jobs done.

I "built" a new test track for HO scale model trains to begin checks on the rolling stock I have had stored for 30+ years and some new stuff that I'm beginning to acquire. So far, it's only three feet of track, but it's a start.

Looks like we have similar tastes.

A Christmas present from my oldest son.

“When I Paint My Masterpiece”

View attachment 420981

Nice. My musical tastes are all over the shop. All depends on the mood that day, or the activity going on. Some things though you always come back to, and Bob Dylan is one of those for me. I wanted this book because there are definitely songs where you just have to ask, ”what the -expletive- is he singing about”. Also, being 41, I wasn’t around for a lot of his most consequential stuff, so I know I am missing some (or a lot) of the references.

Last edited:
Nice. My musical tastes are all over the shop. All depends on the mood that day, or the activity going on. Some things though you always come back to, and Bob Dylan is one of those for me. I wanted this book because there are definitely songs where you just have to ask, ”what the -expletive- is he singing about”. Also, being 41, I wasn’t around for a lot of his most consequential stuff, so I know I am missing some (or a lot) of the references.
Bob Dylan invented Rap music.

And music videos.

Back