What I did today -instead- of Rocketry.

prfesser

LIFETIME SUPPORTER
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Mixed up about 2 kg of epoxy+filler to fill the big crack in the driveway. Almost too much filler, the mix poured about like cold molasses. In a few weeks I'll give the asphalt its once-every-five-years coat of sealer. But we're waiting on that until we get a dumpster to get rid of the collection of 20+ years of junk in the house and storage sheds. No sense coating the driveway, then tearing up the surface when they bring in and remove the dumpster.

Then sat at my computer to wait for the back pain to go away. It's finally down from 8/10 to about 3/10 so I'll head out for my walk in a bit.

fyrwrxz

latest photo
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Went to Doc for fierce sinus infection (not Covid) trying to get better enuff for Rocstock on Saturday. Nothing over the counter touched it. I'll crawl out there for one bird.

Cl(VII)

Chris Bender, Lab Rat
TRF Sponsor
Reaction score
Designed some things that would make some maple things easier and more efficient. Need to print some prototypes and tweak, then probably go figure out how to file some patents.

I am not telling you to not patent something, and good on you for trying to improve things. However, as our in-house council tells us (day job, not the rat), a patent is only as good as your willingness to spend money defending it. That said it is pretty cool to be on the inventor line of a granted patent, and you would also get to be on the assigned to line...I can't speak to the coolness of that one.

GrouchoDuke

Reaction score
Designed a new product for our Etsy store. Printing a test one now. Played one round of Fortnite. Got a victory crown.

teepot

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Sat a looked at some web sites. Bought some stuff. Odd thing. Yesterday I took the change I has gotten during the day out of my pocket and looked at the coins. I collect them and you never know what you will get. One nickel looked old. It was. 1964. How the heck does a nickel from 64 stay in circulation like that. It's worth a couple of dollars at least. It made it all the way to 50 today. Winds 15 to 20 mph. Lovely day. It should be 70 and sunny. The heat came on today several times. This is the desert. It shouldn't snow in April. Even if it was just flurries.

DigBaddy

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I am not telling you to not patent something, and good on you for trying to improve things. However, as our in-house council tells us (day job, not the rat), a patent is only as good as your willingness to spend money defending it. That said it is pretty cool to be on the inventor line of a granted patent, and you would also get to be on the assigned to line...I can't speak to the coolness of that one.

What's even more fun is I would need to file in Canada as well, since one huge juggernaut of equipment making is CDL, and that's where they are...

I really just want to see it made and getting it filed and maybe license some rights to it would be good enough for me. But, yes there's the risk of just getting stomped on. I'm not filthy rich, but not poor, so defending it isn't impossible.

jqavins

Слава Україні
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Sat a looked at some web sites. Bought some stuff. Odd thing. Yesterday I took the change I has gotten during the day out of my pocket and looked at the coins. I collect them and you never know what you will get. One nickel looked old. It was. 1964. How the heck does a nickel from 64 stay in circulation like that. It's worth a couple of dollars at least. It made it all the way to 50 today. Winds 15 to 20 mph. Lovely day. It should be 70 and sunny. The heat came on today several times. This is the desert. It shouldn't snow in April. Even if it was just flurries.
Somewhere around five or eight years ago, I dropped a small pocketfull of change on my night table and heard an unusually clear and long lasting ringing sound. Sure enough, there was a pre-1964 silver quarter. (Junk condition; worth more for melt value than numismatically.) You just never know.

prfesser

LIFETIME SUPPORTER
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Tornado warning---not watch---from 2-2:30 today. I did not bother to take shelter. No basement---pretty much can't have them most places in the county, water is too close to the surface and drainage is terrible. Safest place in the house is an interior closet. I have little confidence in that. Anyway, torrential rain for about fifteen minutes, then...almost nothing. Funny...just realized that I got the warning on my phone but they didn't sound the siren, which they tend to do rather too often.

Made lime-honey-salsa-verde slow-cooker chicken tacos. Dunno what SWMBO and Elder Daughter think but it's a definite keeper as far as I'm concerned.

Cape Byron

Rocket kits from the Land of Oz
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Picked up the parts for the RAV 4. Picked up the parts for the brushcutter. Bought eggs 'n stuff for Easter. Heard about Craig Breedlove and got a bit miserable that all my heroes are passing.

That's what makes you feel old; the people you thought were indestructible passing away.

Anyhoo... off to make dinner. Pork anyone?

OverTheTop

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
My line trimmer failed the other day. Bearing seized and then melted the housing :( . Purchased another on Amazon and it turned up yesterday. I am not letting my father-inlaw anywhere near this one.

Continuing with a presentation on HPR that I need to present in two weeks.

Tidying our spare room.

Going to bed early. Got a virus of some sort :(.

dr wogz

Fly caster
Reaction score
Spent the night in the dark; power cut out at about 3pm yesterday (Wednesday).
then listened to the quiet.. and all the branches breaking off the trees in the neighbourhood.
Woke up this morning to still no power, and more branches & limbs broken off many many trees..

Came into the office, with the wife to warm up & charge opur phones. I stayed & worked, she went home to look after the puppies..

its 3:05PM and still no word on power. likely wont be back on for a few days.

and have a massive maple strewn across my back yard..

on the good side, we had our first BBQ last night!

shots of my backyard..

1680808538491.png 1680808595514.png

Last edited:

jqavins

Слава Україні
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I just got off of a Teams meeting with people in St. Bruno, and they warned us at the start that we shouldn't be alarmed if they suddenly dropped out.

prfesser

LIFETIME SUPPORTER
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Ordered a dumpster. Old garage doors, back door, rusty shelves, miscellaneous building materials, non-recyclable plastic junk, busted treadmill, etc. You'd think that I could simply have the city add it to my regular bill since I already get trash and recycling through them. Or set it up through the web. No. I have to go down to sign a paper contract.

Cape Byron

Rocket kits from the Land of Oz
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Bracing for a big storm. Due in about 15 minutes. Turning stuff off now. Bye all!

Much ado about nothing, as Winston Einstein once famously said. Passed in about 1/2 hr and got maybe 25 mm (~1 of your fine inches) rain in total. Back to work. Soon. I promise.

teepot

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Hung out on Gun Broker. Bought some 9mm ammo. Yesterday I bought a bike. Made by Giant. Full suspension. Seat adjusts with a pull of a leaver. Aluminum frame, tubeless tires, Got to pick out peddles. They fitted me to the bike and gave me some instruction. I have had other bikes but not in the last 15 years. Last big was inexpensive with a steel frame. Very heavy. No fun to ride. When I was getting ready to pay, the owner saw my military ID. She gave me 10% off. So I saved a couple hundred dollars. Today I bought a helmet. My wife wanted me in knee pads and elbow pads and a helmet. She didn't go for my story of riding bikes as a kid and not breaking my neck. No pads just the helmet. Time to lose some weight. My 50th high school reunion is next year. Will try to look my best.

Cl(VII)

Chris Bender, Lab Rat
TRF Sponsor
Reaction score
Hung out on Gun Broker. Bought some 9mm ammo. Yesterday I bought a bike. Made by Giant. Full suspension. Seat adjusts with a pull of a leaver. Aluminum frame, tubeless tires, Got to pick out peddles. They fitted me to the bike and gave me some instruction. I have had other bikes but not in the last 15 years. Last big was inexpensive with a steel frame. Very heavy. No fun to ride. When I was getting ready to pay, the owner saw my military ID. She gave me 10% off. So I saved a couple hundred dollars. Today I bought a helmet. My wife wanted me in knee pads and elbow pads and a helmet. She didn't go for my story of riding bikes as a kid and not breaking my neck. No pads just the helmet. Time to lose some weight. My 50th high school reunion is next year. Will try to look my best.

Well, you gotta know I love this post, just one piece of advice. If you are falling off, DON'T lead with the hip!

Also, if you haven't ridden a lot, don't get clip in pedals, just go flats...90% of the power and way more ability to stay upright by getting your feet down quickly.

CalebJ

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Well, you gotta know I love this post, just one piece of advice. If you are falling off, DON'T lead with the hip!

Also, if you haven't ridden a lot, don't get clip in pedals, just go flats...90% of the power and way more ability to stay upright by getting your feet down quickly.
It's funny... After several years of riding in clip in pedals, I'm -still- not convinced I've learned to take advantage of them.

Cl(VII)

Chris Bender, Lab Rat
TRF Sponsor
Reaction score
It's funny... After several years of riding in clip in pedals, I'm -still- not convinced I've learned to take advantage of them.

I think it changes so gradually that you don't realize it. I always warmup at PT on the bike for 5 min and it's a mess for the first 2 or 3 because it has flat pedals. I keep pulling my feet off. I'm not sure when it happened, but I definitely transitioned over.

rharshberger

Reaction score
I still have and ride my 1993-ish Giant Rincon solid frame MTB, its been a fantastic bike and at the time I bought it cost a few dimes...