What I did today -instead- of Rocketry.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
my life was feeling better today from her Covid, she's had the last 2 weeks, so she drove me up to a close town about 8 Miles Away so that I could go get some chocolate bars to try.

Yesterday I supervised elder daughter changing the oil in her new-to-her car for the first time. Sadly, she has her mother's inability to remember the proper direction to tighten/loosen threaded objects. "Righty-tighty, lefty-loosey" just doesn't quite sink in. I had to set the ratchet for the proper direction each time. But she did almost all of it herself.

My 3/8" ratchet was missing so I made a run to the newly opened Horrible Freight. Got there...and no one in the parking lot (oh no, they're closed on Sunday?!?). Not quite; they were open but electricity was being worked on, so cash only. Bought a complete socket set for $20; if/when I find the old ratchet I'll stick this one in my car. Poor kid at the checkout had devil's own time calculating tax and the total even with his phone, but that's today's level of (lack of) knowledge of simple arithmetic. So it goes.

Today I woke at 1am, stayed up till 5, napped for an hour. It's getting to be a pattern. :(

Watched the wind blow again. 20mph right now. It's supposed to die down later in the week. Watch the kitten/cats run around chasing each other on top of the Explorer. It has a thick car cover on it so they can't scratch it. Working on my shooting some. I'm using a CO2 powered pistol. Refreshing my lost skill. Haven't shot much the last few years. Getting better.

Got my bike inspected at a carbon repair shop. No frame damage, which is what I expected, but good to hear from someone with a lot of experience. I told him the crumple zones worked to protect the bike, as I stood there with my walker.

Went to a stage production of Ovid’s Metamorphoses last night. It was a good show, and a reminder what kind of jerks the Greek/Roman gods were.

Today, I took advantage of sunny weather at lunchtime and walked out to the bluff overlooking Puget Sound. The Olympic Mountains look good in their winter coats.
9CD240DB-F4C4-4FA4-A62E-CEB35427C4E8.jpeg

Not today, but on Jan. 28th in Deadwood, SD, our son married a beautiful girl.

Attachments

• 20230128_140205_resized.jpg
    20230128_140205_resized.jpg
    733.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230128_140245_resized.jpg
    20230128_140245_resized.jpg
    759.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230128_140333_resized.jpg
    20230128_140333_resized.jpg
    608.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230128_140401_resized.jpg
    20230128_140401_resized.jpg
    657.2 KB · Views: 0
Yesterday afternoon I brought two of our interns back to my workshop and gave them a lesson in turning. Machined up a piece of brass on the lathe to fit a bearing, drilled and tapped a hole and did some knurling, chamfering and parting. A final polish made it come up nice. They are electronic interns so it is a good experience that is out of their normal realm. I would normally do this in the prototyping workshop at work, but one of the techs cut the tip off their thumb with a milling machine a couple of years back and we haven't been able to use power tools there since :( .

I would normally do this in the prototyping workshop at work, but one of the techs cut the tip off their thumb with a milling machine a couple of years back and we haven't been able to use power tools there since :( .
How do you build prototypes of things without being able to use power tools?

How do you build prototypes of things without being able to use power tools?
For simple things like brackets we use a cordless drill (not allowed drillpress) and vices for bending. Tinsnips for cutting. Far slower and less precise than using the proper equipment. We can also do a drawing and submit it to the workshop for manufacture. That has to be done for any machining or serious sheetmetal work. Definite PITA.

For simple things like brackets we use a cordless drill (not allowed drillpress) and vices for bending. Tinsnips for cutting. Far slower and less precise than using the proper equipment. We can also do a drawing and submit it to the workshop for manufacture. That has to be done for any machining or serious sheetmetal work. Definite PITA.
so much for "teaching safety" before it's too late.

Wow, what a storm!

Left Lismore for home, usually a 20 min trip.

Got out of town and the heavens opened. Big time. Like, 75 mm of rain in 18 minutes big time. Pulled over as soon as the wipers on full wouldn't let me see adequately (as in, what comes after the bonnet? No idea.) No dramas, I know the road and found a clear space. Lots of cars still went past as I sat with the headlights and hazards on.

Wait ten minutes and it's just 'bad', so start heading for home.

Water across road. Stalled cars. Three car end to end crash. Get to the farm rd. Tree across road. Dragged it off with the car.

Easy peasy. One 55 minute trip later... The hard part was getting 16 bags of groceries down 50 metres of driveway to the house.*

* Driveway is 4WD only.
* Driveway had shedloads of water flowing down it.
* I was already drenched.

Yeah, it's very wrong. More wrong than this would be killing at the scene, or even giving him the death penalty in court, which would be giving him what he wants. He should be - should already have been - thrown into a cell to live out a miserable life then die alone and forgotten.
The trial can only begin once the defendant is ready, if I’m not mistaken. This gives them time to meet with counsel, discuss strategy, negotiate permissible evidence, find witnesses to call, participate in jury selections, etc. Some cases use this time to conduct mental health evaluations and the like. It’s a critical protection against show trials.

Any competent lawyer would (and probably did) urge the defendant in this case to skip all that, take a plea bargain, do his time, and be done with it. Clearly this guy didn’t listen.

Still, I hardly call this getting off easy. Sitting in county jail for 5 years has got to be rough.

EDIT: Once again it appears that I’m several days behind. This thread moves fast!

Project: Banging away at finishing the gifts for my grandchildren. Time is becoming an issue. I am shooting clear with the heater blowing down into the "booth", windows strategically opened and fans going to clear the air of VOCs. Solids are staying in the booth, but it is a bit hilarious to have the heater going "balls to the wall" with 4 windows open and fans on high. Producing one hell of a finish though. ;)

Project Leveraged to Future Benefit: And, I have a serious head start on the design for a compact, collapsible, small paint booth complete with down draft evacuation of all volatiles/solids, light, etc. Few tweaks to speed the set up, tear down, and minimize storage volume, and I won't have to worry about a place to shoot finishes, use volatile glues, etc. anymore in cold weather. And I will scale it up to garage-size as soon as I can catch up a bit.

Below: Shooting the pre-graphics clear over stain to prep for water slides on top and inside the top. Test top with black chalk paint applied and receiving clear to prevent water from water-slide from getting to wood or messing with chalk paint. Bottom is unfinished, but cleared to receive 1/8" solid felt bottom pad via PSA.
2023-01-31 13.05.33.jpg

If I waited for the weather to pass, no way I'd make the 10 February departure date to Texas. :)

Last edited:
Watched season 3 E4, E5 of "Have Gun--Will Travel." Vaguely remembered it from my childhood. Richard Boone is Paladin, a wealthy and sorta-ethical gunfighter for hire. A 30-minute show doesn't give much time for character development, and sometimes it ends a bit awkwardly, but for a late 50s/early 60s show it's pretty decent. Worth mention: several episodes were written by Gene Roddenberry or Gene Coon.

I'll take my walk in a couple hours. We have about a half-inch of sleet from yesterday but the sun is out, and even with temps below freezing the roads are clearing slowly. I prefer to walk on the streets in a nearby subdivision but right now it's too darn slippery.

Back