What I did today -instead- of Rocketry.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Turkey hunting at the farm with my 12 yo son. No luck yesterday; birds showed up where we didn't expect them and he couldn't get a shot. Out in one of the blinds this morning. Was 89 degrees yesterday and I've never hunted birds in that kind of heat. Miserable marching around in full camo. Today will only be 81...

Attachments

• IMG_20220514_052613619.jpg
    IMG_20220514_052613619.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 0
Ordered new garage doors, to be delivered next week.

Plugged in my new keyboard. I use a laptop but at home it's connected to a 32" monitor, separate keyboard, and mouse. Was getting tired of keyboards that didn't age well so I broke down and bought a gamer keyboard/mouse set (Razer Blackwidow). It has the lovely clicky feeling that I remember from the old IBM PS/2 days.

After getting back from my route this morning, my boss called me into his office and said due to the rising prices, the company decided to give everybody an unscheduled raise (in addition to a recently received $500 appreciation bonus).
That's great. Sentences that start with "My boss called me into his office and said due to <name some adverse economic condition>..." usually end very differently.

Inspection showed the cast aluminium deck that the motor bolts onto had fractured around three of the four motor bolts 🤬 . I am going to try a temporary repair to get me through the last of this task before throwing the thing away. It is well past its use-by date.
Whatever repair you make, you might want to do something to reinforce that fourth hole, or it may not last another minute.

The condo owner that we rent from is supposedly having all new appliances delivered this morning and naturally they said between 8:00 and 12:00 a.m. and it is 11:15 and nobody has shown up yet so I figured that they're going to ring the doorbell at about 11:59

I'm about to board a flight home from a very brief business trip (which is both the best and the worst kind). At the last moment, walking up to the security line, I realized that I'd forgotten to put my pocket knife in my checked bag. So now I have to buy another knife.

Fun fact: as most of us remember, you could take your knife on a plane before 9/11. In 2013 the TSA decided that folding pocket knives no longer than so and so length (exactly the length om my Victorinox) do not pose a security risk and would be allowed again. It was the flight attendants' union that raised a stink; they said they didn't want to deal with unruly passengers with these knives. The TSA reversed its decision. Question: before 9/11, how many flight attendants were attacked or threatened with pocket knives? I don't know, but I bet it's damn near zero.

Left flying with DART a bit earlier than scheduled to grab a late breakfast/early lunch with my girlfriend. Heading to work a little later. Flight report coming soon.

I’m definitely bringing range snacks next time. On the days where my work schedule isn’t the limiting factor, our stomachs will be. I’d love to be able to help tear down the range at least once this year and I figure that’s my ticket to do so.

I'm about to board a flight home from a very brief business trip (which is both the best and the worst kind). At the last moment, walking up to the security line, I realized that I'd forgotten to put my pocket knife in my checked bag. So now I have to buy another knife.

Fun fact: as most of us remember, you could take your knife on a plane before 9/11. In 2013 the TSA decided that folding pocket knives no longer than so and so length (exactly the length om my Victorinox) do not pose a security risk and would be allowed again. It was the flight attendants' union that raised a stink; they said they didn't want to deal with unruly passengers with these knives. The TSA reversed its decision. Question: before 9/11, how many flight attendants were attacked or threatened with pocket knives? I don't know, but I bet it's damn near zero.

Fun times. I know someone who repurposed their range bag for a carry on. Not a big deal…until Singapore’s TSA equivalent finds a rogue spent casing in the bottom of your bag and detains you for a couple of hours. All was sorted and he didn’t even miss his flight, but boy was he sweating.

This morning Dublin couldn't even stand, and he was putting off that "I give up" vibe pretty hard, so we said our goodbyes and went to the vet. He went peacefully while getting scratched being the ears. He's now buried out back.

Life well lived Dublin, thanks for spending the last 8 years of it with us.

Dublin on the day we brought him home from the shelter in March '14.
1652565850371.png

And more rain.

And no electricity.

So no petrol being pumped, no EFTPOS at shops, no cold beer…

Oh, and this is Lismore’s hardware ‘warehouse’. Six shipping containers and a tent.

4E6A2E0E-1D9E-482A-A415-B37FE04F7AAF.jpeg

But they aren’t taking cash, and as above, no EFTPOS.

I think I’ll build a rocket. In the dark.

Going to make it rain for forty days & forty nights and wait for the sewers to back up.

Today was gardening and filling bins with tree stuff and grass. Mowed two lawns.

Just finished repairing the mulcher. I made four plates out of 3mm steel strap. Very roughly cut, drilled, and countersunk (I had my butcher's apron on though). I am tempted to glue them to the deck for more rigidity. What glue should I use ;) . Here are some pics:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

It will probably go for another 20 years if I am lucky, but I only need to get through about one or two bins worth of stuff to complete the job.

FYI we originally found the mulcher being thrown out. I replaced the power switch and that got it going many years ago, so it doesn't owe me much.

I love security theater. My eldest has one of those credit card multi tools taken away at a checkpoint because it had a saw blade on the edge that could maybe have cut a toothpick if you softened it up first. Meanwhile my younger gets on planes all the time with a hairpin made of 3/8” steel rod with a point on one end. I know which one I’d rather have in a fight.

I flew once with a range box full of casings, altimeters, and stray wire and TSA never even looked inside. Go figure.

Put my new digital pressure regulator and filter on my new Paasche mini spray gun. Naturally the fitting won't mate up to the air hose.

I love security theater. My eldest has one of those credit card multi tools taken away at a checkpoint because it had a saw blade on the edge that could maybe have cut a toothpick if you softened it up first. Meanwhile my younger gets on planes all the time with a hairpin made of 3/8” steel rod with a point on one end. I know which one I’d rather have in a fight.

I flew once with a range box full of casings, altimeters, and stray wire and TSA never even looked inside. Go figure.
After posting the above, I noticed that there was a 0.5 l bottle of water in my carry on, which went right through the X-ray machine and no one raised an eyebrow.

Back