What I did today -instead- of Rocketry.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yesterday I used "Carbon Off" to clean years of caked, burnt-on crud on a small baking sheet. It worked so well that I'm going to do the other baking sheets today. Carbon-Off is great stuff, I used it to remove the crud on our electric stove top. But gloryoski, does it reek! Use it outside if possible.

Went to the cemetery and put some flowers on my moms grave(((covid))). Hopefully they finish her gravestone soon because I got a bunch of solar lights to fill up her space so she doesn’t have to be in the dark at night.
Some of you maybe asking yourselves, “why would he post this on the forums”?

Because my mom was my #1 fan when it came to rockets, she was in every rocket video I made and never missed a launch.
I was going to click a reaction, but I didn't want to give a thumbs up to your loss or a sad face to what you did. :bittersweet:

I put the rest of the patio furniture together. What a PITA it was...
And what is the brand name of this marvel of manufacturing that we should all be warned off of?

Yesterday I used "Carbon Off" to clean years of caked, burnt-on crud on a small baking sheet. It worked so well that I'm going to do the other baking sheets today. Carbon-Off is great stuff, I used it to remove the crud on our electric stove top. But gloryoski, does it reek! Use it outside if possible.
This got me thinking, first "Wow, what would dissolve carbon? Maybe it just debonds the carbon residue from the metal, but still..." And then, "Maybe I should get some of that."

So I pulled up the SDS, which is a good way of finding out what's in a product, to satisfy my curiosity on the first point. I saw what the major ingredient is and looked that up.

Well, it looks to me like the good professor's advice about outdoor use is a bit understated. There's a lot of toxic nastiness in there (Scroll down to SECTION III – COMPOSITION/INFORMATION ON INGREDIENTS) and a lot of it very volatile. Bad enough the methyl alcohol and toluene, and since the major ingredient is dichloromethane and I didn't know about that stuff, I looked it up; it, too, is a potentially serious inhalation hazard. (A couple of the other ingredients are none too friendly either.) So if I do get some, I will be using it exclusively outdoors.

Didn't watch Game 5 of the World Series as I had chores to catch up on. Damn, Houston. Now I have to wait until Wednesday. Looks like tomorrow is more farm work.
Its amazing how a team that went 88/73 for the regular season is just one win away from winning the World Series

Took the Explorer to the detailer for a bath. Had to get the lake bed dust out of it and off of it. Our new one was supposed to arrive at the dealership today. It's a good thing I went in four weeks ago to talk to our salesman. Well he is more than sales. He has been at this dealership for as long as I have been buying cars there. I bought the first car in 1994. When I went in the lots were half empty. The chip shortage is causing a sellers market. We talked about that and what to expect at turn in. What if you don't have what I want. He got a list of what was coming and I picked the one I wanted. I expect to pay the sticker price. The good thing about the car shortage is we have a popular car with the right equipment and in very good condition. Only 30 000 miles. I also cut the grass and cut up the boxes from the patio furniture. The brand of patio furniture is Sophia and William. Made in China.

yesterday I painted the raw two by fours and two by six that we put on the front of the garage wall to make a loft and then painted some of the areas that were beside of it that were scuffed up. so after the paint dried I looked back and the paint color is way off, I mean like 10 Shades so it was Sherwin-Williams that I bought at Lowe's. the main problem was this stuff was supposed to be Paint & primer and supposed to be thick. this was the thinnest paint that I had ever used in my life so I'm going to take the can back to see if I can have somebody else match it up again, and hopefully get it right this time. Then I can go back over the places that are way too dark and try to patch things up and this is in my one car garage it's supposed to be in the mid-60s again today so this is probably the last day that I will have to paint.
After the rocket launch with the three grandsons now I'm going to send an Amazon list to my daughter so that she can buy the next batch of motors for the next launch as she's got the money, I don't.
I made a few calls about trying to get a new power chair that we are supposed to get every 5 years but now that I am on Medicare which really sucks then I have to come up with the 20% as Medicare only pays 80%.... So 20% of $8,000 is $1,600 which I don't have so it looks like I'm not going to be able to get a new power chair, :mad: it really sucks monkey balls. this just adds to the list of Highly depressing things in my life.

It's amazing I'm still interested after the Sox got eliminated, but hey, that's baseball.
Im still interested because I’m a die hard baseball fan but an even bigger dodger fan. I have to be honest this World Series is kinda on the boring side.
LETS-GO-DODGERS

I made more calls today on my new power chair that I am due to get an April and sure enough the supplement that I have for Medicare will actually take care of the 20% :bravo:

I took my can of paint back to Lowe's that was mixed with the wrong color and got one more Quart of the right color this time and now we'll be able to do some touch-up work and get the front of the garage looking great with the new loft that we put in.

Went into Vegas for a doctors appointment If we don't go for a couple of weeks. Whole subdivisions pop up like mushrooms overnight. The houses are right on top of other. And there are 4 new houses going up around me. Nuts! 16 years ago we were the 2nd house to go up for 1/4 mile. Now they are every where. Someone was looking at the acre across from us. Doesn't he know that is my flying field. It has a wind sock an everything. I dread the day.

I made more calls today on my new power chair that I am due to get an April and sure enough the supplement that I have for Medicare will actually take care of the 20% :bravo:

I took my can of paint back to Lowe's that was mixed with the wrong color and got one more Quart of the right color this time and now we'll be able to do some touch-up work and get the front of the garage looking great with the new loft that we put in.
Good news on both points. And, with the bad and good news on the garage in such short order, it seems like you're having a good week.

The Creality got its second big, and hopefully last, upgrade today. It now has a Micro-Swiss direct drive extruder.

The other big upgrade was the 1300watt bed heater last year. Plus there were a couple little upgrades.

I've disappeared into my cave basement and have been enjoying the distraction of planking a boat, lots and lots of planking (and sanding). But I need to come up for fresh air once in a while. Work and life in general has been very hectic, but its good to get some building done here or there. Nothing rocketry related lately, but I'm sure that there will be more in the future. Hello to everyone,

P8240562_r.jpg

P8290568_r.jpg

P9140767_r.jpg

Started the 100 days/100 miles challenge put on by Maricopa county parks here in Arizona. Yesterday we went to White Tanks park and hiked 4.5 miles. This is the closest park to our home, only 20 minutes to the trailhead. I have been hiking and Jeeping there for many years, but not recently. Many nice improvements, and the desert flora is lush now, not like years ago, when it was abused by shooters and other low life activity.
Saw some wildlife, cactus wrens, hawks and some other birds too far off to identify. Had a friendly coyote watch us for a while, and came upon a crested saguaro cactus that must have been at least 25 ft. tall:

2021-11-03 crested saguaro.jpg

Kicked off a minor redesign so that it's easier for the ship's engineer to top up the coolant. The old way required a 4' reach over a horizontal radiator that was 5' above the deck. The new way will have it right in easy reach. Designing for maintenance is hard but it's good engineering. Also kicked myself for not noticing that earlier...

only thing I accomplished today was having my wife install felt washers under my speakers so they will slide around a little bit on the new laminate plank flooring they just put down in my stereo room.

Work and life in general has been very hectic, but its good to get some building done here or there.]View attachment 488652

View attachment 488653

View attachment 488654
Matched the lid up to the box on my sister's blanket chest...View attachment 488664
Both looking good. And yeah, building almost anything is a good way to shed the troubles of the world (even if it's not rockets :) ).

only thing I accomplished today was having my wife install felt washers under my speakers so they will slide around a little bit on the new laminate plank flooring they just put down in my stereo room.
Oh my god, won't washers affect the acoustics!? ;)

Went to IKEA, bought a 2 cube by 4 cube Kallax for my vinyl collection and stereo.

1636124404446.png

Please note, the turntable on top of the receiver is only there for cleaning records via vacuum cleaner. The working turntable is the Schiit Sol to the left of the receiver. I'll be replacing the two crates in the bottom with soft-sided cubes that slide into the spots. I just have to go to the storage building today.

There's a Schiit Mani and SYS on their way to provide phono preamplification and volume control/source switching when I get the Akitika GT-102KZ4 power amp in and built. At that point, the last item to round out the system will be the Magnepan LRS speakers that are on a five month backorder. (I'd love to run a Schiit Vidar or Aegir, but the Akitika is more affordable and still Stereophile Class B Recommended.)

Went into Vegas for a doctors appointment If we don't go for a couple of weeks. Whole subdivisions pop up like mushrooms overnight. The houses are right on top of other. And there are 4 new houses going up around me. Nuts! 16 years ago we were the 2nd house to go up for 1/4 mile. Now they are every where. Someone was looking at the acre across from us. Doesn't he know that is my flying field. It has a wind sock an everything. I dread the day.
What is "nuts" about this, exactly? You found it an appealing place to live, but it's "nuts" if others do?

Vegas is where all the building is happening. Two and three story houses packed into as little space as possible. That's where whole subdivisions seem to grow overnight. Here the houses are on an acre minimum. And I can only see one of the 4 new houses. People have been moving to Vegas by the thousands for the last 15 to 20 years. At one point about 2006/7 there were 5 to 6 thousand people moving to Vegas each month. It has gone from 200,000 in 1991 to over 2 million about 2015. IIRC. The crowding and sky high home prices and my wife starting work at the Nevada Test site got us to Pahrump. 35000 in 2005. 40000 now. What I find nuts is where are all the people coming from.

Vegas is where all the building is happening. Two and three story houses packed into as little space as possible. That's where whole subdivisions seem to grow overnight. Here the houses are on an acre minimum. And I can only see one of the 4 new houses. People have been moving to Vegas by the thousands for the last 15 to 20 years. At one point about 2006/7 there were 5 to 6 thousand people moving to Vegas each month. It has gone from 200,000 in 1991 to over 2 million about 2015. IIRC. The crowding and sky high home prices and my wife starting work at the Nevada Test site got us to Pahrump. 35000 in 2005. 40000 now. What I find nuts is where are all the people coming from.
It must be murder for the city infrastructure to keep up with that kind of growth. Do they charge impact fees for roads, sewer, water, etc.? Speaking of water, is there a sustainable water source for that many people?

It must be murder for the city infrastructure to keep up with that kind of growth. Do they charge impact fees for roads, sewer, water, etc.? Speaking of water, is there a sustainable water source for that many people?
Lake mead is where the las vegas people get there water from. Not for long though, the water in the lake gets lower and lower every year.

California. And they brought their politics with them.

California. And they brought their politics with them.
And all of them cant drive worth a dam. The state should make you retake your drivers test when you move here. Its amazing to see the way people drive here in vegas.

And all of them cant drive worth a dam. The state should make you retake your drivers test when you move here. Its amazing to see the way people drive here in vegas.
I didn't live there, but my brother did for 16 years. He just moved back to Florida. His words: "Nevada went from being an industry and business friendly prosperous haven to a blue state nightmare."

Back