What I did today -instead- of Rocketry.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Plumb stickball, plumb hacky sack...
The best feature about these plums is that they're basically sacks of juice. Our family's traditional approach to eating ripe ones is "like a vampire," sucking the top half out through the stem hole. Stickball and hacky sack would be ... messy. 😬

I'm at work, watching it rain. These guys made a lot of noise showing up making a stop on their way to Oshkosh. I want to go for a ride in the 2 seater.

PSX_20210723_142203.jpg
PSX_20210723_142225.jpg

Cleaned the house, made bagels, swam in the lake, picked plums. A pretty fine day.

I've never understood why every unfamiliar (to some) meat is said to taste like chicken. I can tell you, for example, that goose tastes like turkey.

I've never understood why every unfamiliar (to some) meat is said to taste like chicken.
From Bing:
Does snake meat really taste like chicken?
Rattlesnakes are the new-latest thing in the white meat industry, they are edible, and taste like chicken . Also delicious. Snakes like pythons and rattlers are tender, light and advertised for its aphrodisiac properties. Low in fat and calories with added medicinal values have increased popularity of rattlesnake meat among the avid non-vegetarian foodies.

This guy was enjoying the sun this morning...

View attachment 474256

Looking at your picture, I see a beautiful creature with a really neat pattern from nature. I'd like to do a glue-up and turning that mimics that (but I'm not that good).

If I saw that walking out of my house, I'd be doing a pretty good attempt at 'walking on air!'

What is your reaction? I doubt you bend over and scratch it under the chin and say 'good boy' but you obviously don't run like a scalded dog either. Our 6ft black snakes that turn up from time to time (small diameter, totally harmless to people) still give me a mild heart thump and I see them 2 or 3 times a year and know they are helping with critters in the yard, so I consider them very important.

Sandy.

From Bing:
Does snake meat really taste like chicken?
Rattlesnakes are the new-latest thing in the white meat industry, they are edible, and taste like chicken . Also delicious. Snakes like pythons and rattlers are tender, light and advertised for its aphrodisiac properties. Low in fat and calories with added medicinal values have increased popularity of rattlesnake meat among the avid non-vegetarian foodies.
Well, alright, that's Bing says. Maybe it's true of the snakes. I've heard it said of alligator and frog legs, and neither does. When my father stated once that he can take or leave lobster but it's not worth paying so much for, someone told him that tastes like chicken; my father detested chicken. "Goose tastes like turkey" was just the most humorous example I could think of, in part because it's true.

Last edited:
I've had goose, rattlesnake, duck, frog legs, snapping turtle, and rabbit and none of them taste like chicken or really anything else. Pheasant is close to chicken, but still not the same.

Buffalo doesn't taste quite like beef either.

When I was a kid I saw a sign in the zoo's reptile exhibit that said that Iguanas taste like chicken.
Haven't had the opportunity to verify that.
Maybe goannas too?

What is your reaction? I doubt you bend over and scratch it under the chin and say 'good boy' but you obviously don't run like a scalded dog either.

Say 'Hello', (seriously, so they know you've seen them), keep doing your work, don't stand on one by accident. Important part of the local ecology and pretty easy to handle although I usually leave that up to the resident wrangler.

Looking at your picture, I see a beautiful creature with a really neat pattern from nature. I'd like to do a glue-up and turning that mimics that (but I'm not that good).

It's a very effective ground and grass camouflage. You'll want an orange or yellow chute to find that rocket on the ground!

Replaced a fluorescent fixture with an LED panel in the stairwell to my basement. An absolute classic example of a 30 minute quickie job that turned into a multi-hour adventure of improvisation and jury-rigging, wrapped around a trip to Lowe's to get the shallowest drywall anchors I could find.

It all started with the fact that the new fixture was designed to be installed onto a box, but there was no box behind the old fixture. Everything went downhill from there.

But I eventually got it finished.
0EE4F00B-F5D8-42B5-AD68-080DB49D81CC_1_105_c.jpeg
So innocent and unassuming... I pray no one ever takes it down and looks at what's behind it. :oops:

Replaced a fluorescent fixture with an LED panel in the stairwell to my basement. An absolute classic example of a 30 minute quickie job that turned into a multi-hour adventure of improvisation and jury-rigging, wrapped around a trip to Lowe's to get the shallowest drywall anchors I could find.

That looks great! Well lit stairs are a very nice thing. I was just thinking about this scene the other day:

It seems to describe most of my weekends lately, and I had a similar experience just today. What I was hoping to be a small job, turned into a mess that I won't finish until tomorrow. The really precarious part was with the radiator balancing on a 4x6" and me struggling to keep it from falling into the kitchen. Not fun. Also a job that will get covered up and I hope no one ever sees.

P7240442_r.jpg

P7240443_r.jpg

Back