What I did today -instead- of Rocketry.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Started construction of a homebrew 3-element Yagi antenna for the 6 meter amateur radio band. It's a wide band model based on an article by R. L. Cebik. It may replace the homebrew 6 meter Moxon antenna I've been using since 2008.
I'd like to see pictures of it when you get it completed. I read about an antenna design from a L. B. Cebik recently. Is that the one you are working on?

W4DXR

Like these?
View attachment 473829
Saw them a couple of months back at a tourist spot in Victoria.

Like those...
Before I got hopelessly side-tracked by high-power rocketry in the early 2000s, I had gotten pretty good at "stock-removal" knives. Been dragging the parts around to build a forge since then. Sometimes (most times (?)) I think it's better to just spend the money and buy the tool, rather than trying to build it.
Last one I made, way back when...
1626873442647.png

I had a Doctors appointment today. He agreed with another Doc I see. They are calling my 8 1/2 hour blackout a Transient Ischemic Attack, which is a mini stroke. Left with 4 referrals, a lab appointment, an MRI appointment and a CT appointment.
So glad you got it diagnosed so it can be treated. My dad had a TIA about 20 years ago. I came home, said hi, and he was mumbling incoherently in response. Called the paramedics and they took him to the ER. The MRI showed that he had two previous TIAs that we knew nothing about. Anyhoo, his doc put him on a blood thinner and he never got another one after that. Wishing the best for you buds.

Sometimes (most times (?)) I think it's better to just spend the money and buy the tool, rather than trying to build it.
I have an as yet unpursued interest in metal casting. I signed up to a casting forum to read a bunch and ask some questions. I asked if there's a brand of melting furnace one can buy that is A) affordable and 2) not crap. (There's one called Devil Forge that, apparently, is crap.) I learned that there basically isn't*. I wouldn't be surprised of the same is true of a forge.

* One guy went so far as to say he'd never respect any caster who didn't make his own furnace. I had to ask if he'd ever respect a mechanic who didn't make his own wrenches.

I have an as yet unpursued interest in metal casting. I signed up to a casting forum to read a bunch and ask some questions. I asked if there's a brand of melting furnace one can buy that is A) affordable and 2) not crap. (There's one called Devil Forge that, apparently, is crap.) I learned that there basically isn't*. I wouldn't be surprised of the same is true of a forge.
Amazon has a bunch of imported units for about $2-300 ea. When you say metal casting, do you mean anything more aggressive than copper/cast iron ( ~1100C/~2200F ) ?

I'd like to see pictures of it when you get it completed. I read about an antenna design from a L. B. Cebik recently. Is that the one you are working on?

W4DXR

The article is titled "2 x 3 = 6" by L. B. Cebik. (I corrected the initial error in my previous post.) Both high gain and wide band antenna models are discussed in the article. I'll take some pictures throughout construction.
WB4OFN

Probably not even iron, at least to start. Copper (1085°C) and it's alloys (lower), aluminum (660°C), and silver (962°C) mainly. I would add gold (1064°C) to the list if I had a lot more money at my disposal, and that wouldn't really change things as far as the equipment goes. If I ever want to try iron (1482 - 1593°C), I would be willing to upgrade the equipment.

(All melting point data are the first results of Google searches.)

Anyway, the point was for Tec 86's benefit, to prepare him for likely disappointment in trying to buy a forge.

(There's one called Devil Forge that, apparently, is crap.)
🤣
Well, this is a three burner, knife-maker's Devil Forge...
My total judgement on it is based on last night's test burn.
Didn't blow up, seemed to "run well" (needs to pretty well come up to temp for the burners to "stabilize"), and I'm sure was plenty hot to melt most castable metal.
It's "guaranteed" to reach welding temp... won't be able to confirm that until way past the thirty day warranty.
~$350 on eBay
YMMV

* One guy went so far as to say he'd never respect any caster who didn't make his own furnace. I had to ask if he'd ever respect a mechanic who didn't make his own wrenches.
About 30-odd years ago I built a 10" swing metal lathe from aluminum castings made with a charcoal-fired furnace, using a small electric blower for air supply and a pot made from welded steel pipe. I was able to get broken firebricks from a local potter to make the furnace, which was capable of melting about two quarts of aluminum. If firebrick is not available a furnace lining can be made from a mixture of furnace cement and perlite; it's on the web somewhere.

The books by Dave Gingery are well worth buying. It's an inexpensive way to get into the hobby, and you can upgrade to a commercial (or better-quality homemade) furnace and casting setup later if desired. Aluminum melts low enough that it's not a horrible hazard (a crucible of molten iron can radiate enough heat to set nearby clothing on fire). The castings are not of the best quality; mine had lots of pinholes from absorbed gases from the charcoal.

Best -- Terry
PS: if you want a lathe do NOT build the Gingery lathe for that purpose. It's a lot of work, takes much too long, and the lathe isn't capable of thread-cutting until the milling machine and dividing head have been built. The reason for making the lathe or other tools is to gain experience and knowledge of metal casting and machining. And to have fun!

Thanks all for the feedback on the melting and casting, which I was not expecting. Tech 68, I wish you better success with your Devil Forge knife forge than that which the other forum led me to expect from a Devil Forge melting furnace. (I am starting to get the feeling that those guys may be a bit snobbish and not the best source of information. Which is a shame, as I could really use a community to learn from that's as good as TRF.)

Which is a shame, as I could really use a community to learn from that's as good as TRF.)
Take a look through this gentleman's pages. He influenced me a lot when I was putting together all the parts for the forge I didn't build (maybe someday). Can't remember who I bought my burners from (~ 15-20 years ago) but they're called "sidewinders"... air port on the side, uses MIG welder tips for gas orifices.
Edit... possibly "sidearm" burners.

https://ronreil.abana.org/

Last edited:
Finished some other turning. A lidded bowl will be a gift for my Dad (maple, pau amarello, bloodwood, and a bit of walnut), and a set of beer tap handles for my college friend. We ran track and cross country together (hence the spikes). The wood is butternut, with basswood and purple heart (purple and white were our school colors). The other one is pau amarello, paudauk, and a bit of walnut.

DSC05666_crop.JPG

DSC05667_r.jpg

Plum jam, plum cake, plum syrup, plum leather, plum scampi...
Mmm, love that plumb scampi!

Plum cobbler, plumb butter, pork roast stuffed with dried plumbs (i.e. prunes)(1), plumb crisp, plumb juice, plumb barbeque sauce, plumb brandy(2)... Plumb stickball, plumb hacky sack...

(1) Even better with fresh or partially dried figs, but that doesn't use any plumbs up. Also good for duck.
(2) Just cut some plumbs (prunes better) up and soak them in reasonably good brandy or 151 for a couple of months or more. The liquor is good, and the plumbs are great. Also works very well with dried apricots. Don't tell Charles McG; I don't want a scolding.

Back