What I did today -instead- of Rocketry.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Soccer game followed by gemstone fossicking in one of the local creeks. Looking for honey opal, but found zircon instead. Fun afternoon if a bit cold standing in a fast flowing creek for a few hours.
I've been known it sit my butt down in a creek and pan for gold when it's in the high 90s (32+ c). It's lots of fun and an easy way to keep cool. Only get a few grams total though.

Went to my father inlaw's place as he had a water leak somewhere. He had noticed water running onto the neighbour's property. Turns out a pipe is leaking under the house. He has a small basement workshop that had about 6" of water in it :(. I grabbed one of his water pumps from his rainwater system to pump it out. Plumber is coming tomorrow.

Must be a day for plumbing. My daughter was cleaning out a sink drain (hair and other stuff) but could not get the S-bend to seal properly. I'll head across there later.

Three bottles of gin just turned up at the door. Always good to have gin during a lockdown :eggnog:

Last edited:
got me some new biking shoes! So I can now ride my new road bike!

bikes & parts are in very short supply, so I've been relying on the local 2nd hand market. (a friend pointed me towards a "local" triathlete buy & sell page on FB.. so, got me some 2nd hand $$$ components for half that!)

And, managed to book 3 of the 4 week-ends in September with travel plans! (Yeah! finally)
1st week-end: camping with a friend just outside Algonquin park (annual trip!: a kayak & a fly rod & solitude!) - Haliburton Wildlife refuge
2nd week-end: Niagara's 'Wine & Grape' festival in the Niagara region. 2 days of driving thru wine country. I don't care for wine, but love the drive. She, love wine and likes the scenery..
3rd week-end: fishing in teh north Frontenac part of Ontario. Another annual event, but we usually hit this for the start of walleye season..

amazing how this all came together over the week-end!

2nd covid shot in late July / early august. So, things are starting to get back to normal!

Very interesting. I like how it stayed in the view of the camera. My guess would be some light device suspended from a drone. Of course it could be an alien probe too. I want them to land and say hi.

Very interesting. I like how it stayed in the view of the camera. My guess would be some light device suspended from a drone. Of course it could be an alien probe too. I want them to land and say hi.
I found a few videos showing the exact same thing. My mom could see it on the monitor but when she looked outside nothing was there.

Not sure what the cause is, but unless there's a group of IR based aliens it's probably some weird artifact from the camera. The motion is still super bizarre, though.

Went to my father in-law's again today to complete emptying out his underhouse workshop/storage area that flooded. Got most of it cleared yesterday so got the final piece of lino up and out today, then vacuumed up the last of the surface water on the concrete. Now we wait for it to dry. Plumber came yesterday and found a split in the copper pipe at a T-junction. Still waiting for the bill for that.

Stayed inside most of the day as it was 11 freakin' degrees C (52 freakin' degrees F), with a wind chill of about, I dunno, maybe 10 degrees.

I'm colder than I've been since moving from Melbourne ~12 years ago. And the fun thing, is it's predicted to SNOW on Mt Nardi tonight. That's where the bushfires were raging a couple of years ago, about 15 km away from the farm.

It's the proverbial two-dog night, and I only have one dog... :(

Stayed inside most of the day as it was 11 freakin' degrees C (52 freakin' degrees F), with a wind chill of about, I dunno, maybe 10 degrees.
That's pretty cold for somebody that's almost a Queenslander 😂 😂 😂.

Cold down here too. Significant windchill making it more miserable than it actually should be. We had a 2degC (36degF) a week or so back, but tonight will be a relatively temperate 11C (52F), same as CB who is half a continent north of here.

That's pretty cold for somebody that's almost a Queenslander 😂 😂 😂.

Cold down here too. Significant windchill making it more miserable than it actually should be. We had a 2degC (36degF) a week or so back, but tonight will be a relatively temperate 11C (52F), same as CB who is half a continent north of here.

Temperate my ar... thermometer. 🤬 I think I'll be microwaving wallabies in the morning to thaw the poor critters out.

Mmm, sounds like beautiful, refreshing, light jacket weather. It's been in the mid 80s to low 90s F (about 30 to 35 C) and miserable here. Last night before bed I broke into a sweat from the effort of toweling off after a cool shower. :mad:

amatuers..

my last camping trip it was down to -2°C at night.. (last September)

:D :D

But yeah like Joe: sticky hot here too.. +39°C with humidex
Went camping with my brother and nephew this past winter. Got down to -7C (20F) at night but the lowest I've camped in was -13C (9F)

Went kayaking this past weekend and it was 32C (89F) with 98% humidity. It isn't fully summer yet so it'll get hotter.

And this is fun how? o_O
We were the only people in the entire state park that has 200+ camp sites and 3 different boat ramps beside the lone park ranger. We could walk out onto the lake to go ice fishing. It isn't bad as long as you have the right equipment for it. It isn't for everyone. Cold is easier for me because I can always put on more layers. With heat, you can only take off so many before you get arrested.

Cold is easier for me because I can always put on more layers. With heat, you can only take off so many before you get arrested.
That's what I've been telling people for many years. Even if you don't care about risking arrest, after that there just aren't any more layers to remove. And I'm stuck with a layer that would take me years of workouts and dieting to remove. For every 10 deg F above 75, I'd rather have 20 below it.

That's what I've been telling people for many years. Even if you don't care about risking arrest, after that there just aren't any more layers to remove. And I'm stuck with a layer that would take me years of workouts and dieting to remove. For every 10 deg F above 75, I'd rather have 20 below it.
Just take off the last layer and rattle around in your bones. :)

met a guy about 10 miles away and bought a cheap soundbar to replace my two desktop Speakers so that I can use them on either side of my head Board as surround speakers. I had to move two monitors and three speakers so that I can mount the Soundbar up in where the place that is going to rest and then hook all the wires back up so it was a big pain in the butt. It should be the last time that I ever have to do that.

Cold is easier for me because I can always put on more layers. With heat, you can only take off so many before you get arrested.

I completely agree, and even if you risk arrest you are still hot. I've already had enough of the heat and humidity for this year. I'm ready for Fall or maybe I should just move to the U.P. and be comfortable in the Summer.

I replaced the brake pads on my cyclocross bike and the cleats on my cycling shoes. The cross bike has cantilever rim brakes. They work just fine, but I do like the disc brakes I have on my mountain bike better. Once they're setup and bled, they don't need any more fine tuning.

Back