What I did today -instead- of Rocketry.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Repairing our 25 year old microwave/convection oven. Blows a fuse when starting to cook. It isn't the transformer, so now suspecting the capacitor. Will test it at work tomorrow with a high voltage test setup. I am planning on keeping safe with the 4kV :)

Bought a new (to me) bike on the weekend.
Now I need shoes.
Went to a local bickle store last night. "Open by appointment"....
Went to another store aroudn teh corner:
me: "Looking for road shoes, what do yo have?"
him: "1st question: What size are your feet?"
me: "8.5.."
him: "Sorry, nothing in 8.5."

Really?

came home with a pizza instead..

If they come back Imma use the big gun: sodium chlorate solution. The nitrate ion, (NO3)- is very similar in size and shape, and has the same charge, as (ClO3)-. But plants are stupid and suck up chlorate, thinking it's nitrate.
Nice. It's good to be acquainted with a chemistry professor.
There is at least one documented case of a fellow who used it to kill weeds. Hung his wet overalls in front of a fire [Oh, no, here it comes] to dry. Instant bigger fire!
Yup. I wouldn't want to do that with the nitrate either, but from what I've read the chlorate is worse, no?

Shopping in person is currently verboten, as we (entire State) are in Lockdown 4.0 due to a spike in covid cases. We had a leak from hotel quarantine and have about 51 cases known and around 13000 close contacts in isolation so far. Lockdown scheduled to end on Thursday evening but there is a good chance it will be extended unless the numbers plummet. They usually like two incubation periods of no cases.
Aggravating, I'm sure. Yet I wish people in more places (myself included) had the same reason to be aggravated.

Contemplated our language. If the plural of Ox is Oxen, then the plural of Fox should be Foxen. Also Box - Boxen.

And a baby Duck is a Duckling, so a baby Dog should be a Dogling.

And a person born on Earth is an Earthling, so a Duckling is prolly someone born on a Duck.

And a Changeling is someone on a tight budget.
If the plural of mouse is mice, and the plural of louse is lice, then shouldn't the plural of spouse be spice?

If an felon commits a felony, then who commits irony?

If a surgeon does surgery, and a butcher does butchery, then what does an adult do?
This is why I'm not writing kit instructions today.
Good call.
If peanut oil is made from peanuts, and corn oil from corn, then baby oil is OHHH NOOOOOOO!
It's babies! Baby oil is babies!
1622654526738.png

Watched a hockey game, 'cause you know, it's the playoffs and its Toronto vs Montreal... The good guys won the game and the series...
Being a Saskatchewanawite (see above language posts) whom do you call the "good guys"?

If the plural of mouse is mice, and the plural of louse is lice, then shouldn't the plural of spouse be spice?

If an felon commits a felony, then who commits irony?

If a surgeon does surgery, and a butcher does butchery, then what does an adult do?

OK, I'll play, in French.
You buy pastries at a patisserie.
You buy milk at a laiterie
You buy bread at a boulangerie
A gendarmerie is a police station...

right answer! / Bonne reponce!

go Habs go!
(Personally I'm the least of a hockey or sport fan. but for the sake of going against Winterpeg and the sake of teh topic! :D )

I found out a funny thing the other day. "Habs win Habs win Habs win" gets google translated into Arabic as "where's the prison? where's the prison? where's the prison?". I don't necessarily want to offend someone LOL out of context.

Oh what the hell - Habs win, Habs win, Habs win 5-3 vs the Jets.

Found out I have gained 15 pounds in the last six months which they believe is all water weight so now the blood test is hopefully going to show whether or not it's a problem with my kidneys which may not be getting rid of the fluid, or something else ....more waiting around for results. It may get real interesting to see which things in my core are going to take a big hit with all the progressive nerve damage thats going on, no one knows what's going to fail next.:questions:

Checked the capacitor from the microwave and confirmed it was shorted out. Only 1.6 ohms resistance :eek: .Ordered a replacement part.
Capacitor failure is so common these days. In the vintage stereo world, the 35-40 year old caps fail daily it seems. Re-capping stereo equipment is good business these days.

Yes, a good thing indeed.

With some medical conditions and/or treatments, keeping one's weight up is a good thing; is that your situation?

Wednesday I called the Cub Cadet dealer who had picked up my mower LAST Thursday. No reply to the message. Today I drove 25 miles over some roads that Jed Clampett would have been proud of -- wide enough for two small cars, maybe, and hairpin curves unmarked by anything as useful as a speed-limit sign. Arrived at the dealer.

"What was so wrong with it that it took over a week to fix it?" "We didn't find anything wrong, seemed to work okay." "It leaked out a freaking PINT OF HYDRAULIC FLUID!! That CAN'T be good!!" "We'll top it off and give you a call when it's ready."

GRRRRRR!!!! My back yard looks like a jungle, not having been mowed for over two weeks.

Revenge is a dish that is sweetest when cold. Once the warranty runs out I'm posting everywhere and anywhere I can. One-star review, but only because I can't go to zero or negative numbers.

:mad: 🤬

Yes, a good thing indeed.

With some medical conditions and/or treatments, keeping one's weight up is a good thing; is that your situation?
nope my problem is that the water weight is mostly gravity due to loss of muscle tone in the legs, I only have just enough muscles in my legs to stand up. have had 39 balls in the last 8 years.

Not sure if this counts or if it should go in the What Did You Do Rocket-wise thread, but...
There are a lotta cool things about where I live... a neighbor thinking me knowing about U2 planes and building a Redstone model getting so giddy he spontaneously ran home to give me a copy of a photo of Scott Carpenter, Gordo Cooper, John Glenn, Gus Grissom, and Deke Slayton with the then VA governor is definitely way up there.Screenshot_20210604-214925~2.png
NGL I'm also geeking a bit about how much my boots look like the ones in the corner 🤓

There’s a site in north central Washington where you can dig fossils. It’s an Eocene marsh, so there are plants and the occasional dragonfly. The deal is that they tell you what the fossils are, and they get to keep scientifically interesting stuff. I just got a letter in the mail that the dragonfly wing we found in 2008 was just declared a new species. Mine was the third specimen of that species found. If I had been first it might now be called Okanagrion boatgeekii. They gave the species name to the first discoverer.

Made some progress since post #1898: boat is planked, lead ballast mounted, boat is upright, frames are out, and working on deck structure. (hmm.... I've been posting more in the -instead- of rocketry thread lately, compared to rocketry related threads.)

P6041127.JPG

I just got a letter in the mail that the dragonfly wing we found in 2008 was just declared a new species. Mine was the third specimen of that species found. If I had been first it might now be called Okanagrion boatgeekii. They gave the species name to the first discoverer.

Cool! Did you hear the species did get called? Probably not as cool of a name as "boatgeekii".

Still trying to get the Edison Model B to play without needing a human bump or two. It definitely works, but the reproducer arm keeps getting bogged down in various parts of the thread screw. I will look at it, then forget about it for months, then look at it again, repeat. Here is a video of its state from around a year ago. It plays, but it needs a slight push now and then to keep it from stuttering and spluttering.

It's an incredibly amazing machine, built around 1905, and still works pretty well from what looks like mostly original parts.

For those who like to watch things whirr without purpose, here is the spring-wound powered motor running itself down.

Latest posts

Back