What I did today -instead- of Rocketry.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yesterday I took "Logan" our 2018 GMC Sierra and the toy hauler trailer to the scales. Not worried about overloading a 1 ton truck, but we have gone a bit over on the trailer, which is rated at 10,000 lbs. This time Logan weighed in at 10,360 lbs. with a GVWR of 11,500 and the toy hauler came in at 9,460 lbs. with a tongue weight at 1300. Total weight including Logan is 19,820 lbs.
Today I took the old '98 GMC Sierra "Grosser" and the "Lil' Mule" trailer and got them weighed too. Grosser is a 3/4 ton truck and weighed in at 8200 lbs. with a GVWR of 8600, and the Lil' Mule came in at 1180. Total weight 9380.

So we will be moving 14.6 tons of our household to Northern New Mexico this week. Next week we will journey North again to the National Sport launch in Alamosa, Colorado. :music1:

Happens from time to time. I remember a few over my lifetime.

Prolly every 5-8 years. I remember camping during a mouse plague in central Australia when I was a teenager. Woke up in the middle of the night with, seriously, 150 or so on my sleeping bag. Three layers deep just keeping themselves warm. 🤠

Finished electronically filing my taxes for 2020. First filing was rejected due to my AGI (Adjusted Gross Income) for 2019 not matching what the IRS had on file (somebody there screwed up because I literally looked at what I had filed last year to input the amount). Refiled with an AGI value of $0.00 according to a suggestion by TurboTax and it went through just fine. Huh?!?

Good gawd... I hate the IRS!!!

I would seriously freak out if I saw that many mice in my tent. Where we used to camp in Idaho it was snakes we had to watch out for.

Nah, the occasional wild animal in your tent is all part of camping. Goannas are a bit scary when they come in for warmth.

We only occasionally get snakes inside the house. Once had a rough scale in the kitchen cutlery drawer. Those buggers will kill ya. 🤠

Australia, mate. Not for wusses.

The mouse survived the mouse trap. It had tripped but I think the steel spring was made partly of butter. Cheap traps from Bunnings. I grabbed a rat trap, same brand, and this time it succeeded in getting the mouse.

The rat trap seemed a bit weak also, so I guess if I need to catch a rat I should get the rabbit trap by that brand :rolleyes:.

Happens from time to time. I remember a few over my lifetime.

Prolly every 5-8 years. I remember camping during a mouse plague in central Australia when I was a teenager. Woke up in the middle of the night with, seriously, 150 or so on my sleeping bag. Three layers deep just keeping themselves warm.

We only occasionally get snakes inside the house. Once had a rough scale in the kitchen cutlery drawer. Those buggers will kill ya.

I interviewed for a job in Australia once. Whenever I read posts by either of you, I don't know whether to be disappointed I didn't get it, or relieved.

I interviewed for a job in Australia once. Whenever I read posts by either of you, I don't know whether to be disappointed I didn't get it, or relieved.

I agree with @OverTheTop , you should be disappointed.

Protesters Falls. 15 minutes down the road...

protestors-falls-walk-02.jpg

Holy mouse droppings Batman. The number of mice is fantastic. Don't they have any natural predators. Are there no hawks or owls. I know you have snakes. How in the H. E. double tooth picks did you get that many mice. I would think that something would have been done before it got this bad.
Mice biting hospital patients, ravaging farms as plague escalates across NSW

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-03-18/mice-plague-nsw-worsens-and--affecting-crops/13255486Some video from a rural property on that article will show the problem somewhat.
Just wow

It only takes a few mice to make millions of mice in pretty short order if there are not, as you say, predators. This has happened a few times with invasive species in Australia, where nothing knows how yummy they are; surely you've heard about the rabbits. (Even if the snakes catch on, they are slow eaters. A mouse can darn near have a new litter before a snake digests her sister.) It comes of having a very very long period of evolution in isolation.

from: https://www.news.com.au/technology/...s/news-story/60bc1e9902447acee08c19aa583ea3af

Headline:
Mouse plague crisis: PETA cops backlash for telling farmers not to kill the rodents

PETA spokeswoman Aleesha Naxakis quoted as saying the rodents should not be denied their "right" to food, "They shouldn’t be robbed of that right because of the dangerous notion of human supremacy.”

She said the government should take responsibility for the increase in mice and invest in humane methods of controlling the population.

Her initial comments caused Deputy Prime Minister Michael McCormack to say PETA activists were “idiots who have never been outside the city”.

“The real rats in this whole plague are the people who come out with bloody stupid ideas like this,” he said.

- not meant as a negative comment against Aussies. We have people just like that locally.

Her initial comments caused Deputy Prime Minister Michael McCormack to say PETA activists were “idiots who have never been outside the city”.

“The real rats in this whole plague are the people who come out with bloody stupid ideas like this,” he said.
Cheers to McCormack. (Or should I say "Good on 'im". Nah, I probably shouldn't.) Damn few politicians here would have the guts to be so blunt.

More mountain biking with my little guy today. He rode 6 miles of singletrack making his season total almost 27 miles so far. He also conquered a bridge that scared him last time and had his first OTB crash resulting in a flat tire. (He's fine and smiling.)

Last edited:
Ordered a new mini split for the garage. The old one was a casualty of the deep freeze apparently. It went full block off ice during that time, and the coil got a leak in the process. Cheaper to replace the whole thing than repair the coil, even if I could find the part for the discontinued unit. The new one uses the same wiring and drain scheme, and the inside unit even uses the same mounting plate, so I will save a lot of work there at least. I’m doing what I did last time, place and hookup everything except final refrigerant lines. I will have a local AC company come out, check the flares, connect up the lines, leak test and release the precharged refrigerant.

Doing it this way turns a $5k job into a $2k job. Hopefully it arrives before the 3 day weekend, so I can get my part done then.

Ordered a new mini split for the garage. The old one was a casualty of the deep freeze apparently. It went full block off ice during that time, and the coil got a leak in the process. Cheaper to replace the whole thing than repair the coil, even if I could find the part for the discontinued unit. The new one uses the same wiring and drain scheme, and the inside unit even uses the same mounting plate, so I will save a lot of work there at least. I’m doing what I did last time, place and hookup everything except final refrigerant lines. I will have a local AC company come out, check the flares, connect up the lines, leak test and release the precharged refrigerant.

Doing it this way turns a $5k job into a $2k job. Hopefully it arrives before the 3 day weekend, so I can get my part done then.

When I did my mini-split in the garage (best decision ever!) I had to buy all the tools to do it myself as it happened during a major peak in summer temps and all the AC guys were working 24/7. You might ask why I would do it then, but it was because our main house system died when everybody else's did and I gave up on trying to sleep at 85 deg.

I had a retired AC guy tutor me, but I did the whole install myself (1k-ish in tools + 1.5k-ish in materials) and have had no issues in 3-4 years. I also now have a high vac pump and a drawer of HVAC tools in my toolbox from real flaring tools to real vacuum gauges, including a millibar vacuum gauge to measure leakage. I voided the heck out of my warranty when I did it myself, but I actually believe I did a better job on the install than a busy contractor would have. When I opened the valve to dump the refrigerant into the system, it was pulled down and verified way below what is required and therefore the only refrigerant that cold have leaked would have been during the valve opening. Enjoying my 68 deg garage as we speak. . .Also, the garage unit manager to drop the house temp during the problem time from 85 to mid 70's in the bedroom, which was tolerable. If either goes down again, the other unit will keep things tolerable for however long it takes. If both go down, I'm moving to Wisconsin or Maine. . .

Sandy.

wife cut my hair, installed soft foam rubber golf balls on the joysticks of both power chairs, played 3 Lp's, glue a plastic part back on one of the grandkids toys

When I did my mini-split in the garage (best decision ever!) I had to buy all the tools to do it myself as it happened during a major peak in summer temps and all the AC guys were working 24/7. You might ask why I would do it then, but it was because our main house system died when everybody else's did and I gave up on trying to sleep at 85 deg.

I had a retired AC guy tutor me, but I did the whole install myself (1k-ish in tools + 1.5k-ish in materials) and have had no issues in 3-4 years. I also now have a high vac pump and a drawer of HVAC tools in my toolbox from real flaring tools to real vacuum gauges, including a millibar vacuum gauge to measure leakage. I voided the heck out of my warranty when I did it myself, but I actually believe I did a better job on the install than a busy contractor would have. When I opened the valve to dump the refrigerant into the system, it was pulled down and verified way below what is required and therefore the only refrigerant that cold have leaked would have been during the valve opening. Enjoying my 68 deg garage as we speak. . .Also, the garage unit manager to drop the house temp during the problem time from 85 to mid 70's in the bedroom, which was tolerable. If either goes down again, the other unit will keep things tolerable for however long it takes. If both go down, I'm moving to Wisconsin or Maine. . .

Sandy.

Good for you. I worked for 25 years as a commercial HVAC/Refrigeration Mechanic. The thieves/criminals that have all the ads on TV take a fan capacitor that they buy for $5.00 and mark it up to $300.00 and the outdoor fan capacitor to over $400.00 and they do that ALL DAY LONG, 365 days/year. Its all about buying TV time so that you can create ads where the Technicians are all dressed up in white dress shirts, singing and dancing, convincing the Sheeple that they are getting the best deal there is. Once you plant that company name (ex. Morris Jenkins, the local con artists), into their heads so that when you have a problem, their name will be the one that you remember from all the non-stop ads.

Gee whiz, dog, you sound a little teensy bit bitter?
I hear Nova Scotia is nice.
That's many years of doing something I didn't want to be doing, just to put food on the table, so Yes, much regret for squandering most of my life away and now suffering with the reality of knowing that I cannot do anything about it. :mad:

I gave up trying to fix the old row machine. I just finished setting up my new sweat and suffering device. Also, last week, I mounted a tv left over from our race timing business in the shop/gym.

IMG_20210521_185352733.jpg

IMG_20210521_185825414.jpg

Back