What Have You Heard About Windows 11?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K'Tesh

.....OpenRocket's ..... "Chuck Norris"
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
My computer's little indicator of a need to restart to install updates had something new today... a blue dot.

1664188498842.png

I hover over it, and it says:

1664188553322.png

I've heard absolutely zero, zilch, nada, nothing about Windows 11.

So, has anybody heard anything at all about this OS update?

It's been out for... a year maybe? I used it for a while on my previous work laptop. Some things are rearranged a bit and take some getting used to, but I had no significant complaints. On my current laptop I'm back to 10 because most of the people I support are on it as well. But as that shifts I'll switch again with no concerns.

My computer's little indicator of a need to restart to install updates had something new today... a blue dot.

View attachment 539167

View attachment 539168

One thing that Windows 11 has done is to change the hardware driver model. As a result, many external devices will not work until new drivers are provided. For mainstream devices like cell phones or cameras that won’t be a problem, but for less common devices, such as various ham radios, that has proven to be a significant hurdle.
My advice is to back everything up completely so you can restore to pre Win 11 if you need, or stay with Win 10. My computer in the ham shack is an older all-in-one Win 7 Sony Vaio that slowed to a standstill when I upgraded to W10, so I had to completely remove W10 and restore to the original OS. It will remain on W7. My laptop is on W10. I might move to W11 once drivers for my radios are available, but I would probably just spring for a new computer (maybe a Surface).

No significant functional differences really (they pushed it on us for my day job), but like Steve said they mucked with the drivers. The USB-Serial cable that we've been shipping forever doesn't work with WIndows 11... we're selling a CP2102-based USB-Serial dongle for Windows 11. Eventually we'll probably just sell the dongle... one less SKU to manage.

One thing that Windows 11 has done is to change the hardware driver model. As a result, many external devices will not work until new drivers are provided. For mainstream devices like cell phones or cameras that won’t be a problem, but for less common devices, such as various ham radios, that has proven to be a significant hurdle.
My advice is to back everything up completely so you can restore to pre Win 11 if you need, or stay with Win 10. My computer in the ham shack is an older all-in-one Win 7 Sony Vaio that slowed to a standstill when I upgraded to W10, so I had to completely remove W10 and restore to the original OS. It will remain on W7. My laptop is on W10. I might move to W11 once drivers for my radios are available, but I would probably just spring for a new computer (maybe a Surface).
Just bought a new PC with Win11, I'll post any issues.

Costco had a Lenovo, 32 GB, 1TB SSD, 17" screen, $1200. Something close to it was their Surface Pro but it was $2k.

I installed Win11 on an i6-6400 dell business machine as part of the developer program. YEs, this sytem doesn't meet the official standards :)

I played with it for a month or so and used it for what I consider routine apps. Nothing that would have trouble compatibility wise or that was hardware dependent. It was "fine" other than the slight changes to the UI which I quickly got used to. No reason to jump to it on my other machines, no reason not to go to it on a new build, from my perspective. With one annoying exception that maybe is fixed or maybe not since then:

MS KEEPS PUSHING TO USE MS ACCOUNTS FOR INSTALLATION. I refuse ever to use an MS account as the primary setup administrator. There have been workarounds and I believe there still are to allow using a local account to do the installation. I just don't feel comfortable with handing the car keys to MS.

MS KEEPS PUSHING TO USE MS ACCOUNTS FOR INSTALLATION. I refuse ever to use an MS account as the primary setup administrator. There have been workarounds and I believe there still are to allow using a local account to do the installation. I just don't feel comfortable with handing the car keys to MS.
Yeah, that's been a point of contention for a long time and keeps getting worse.

Last I checked, you can still choose the registration option and enter [email protected] with a random password. It will generate a 'something went wrong' error and let you bypass.

Just have 2 hard drives and a 3rd hard drive for storage
The 2 hard drives has windows 7 and windows 10 on them and my pc is set up for a dual boot.
When the pc boots up it gives me an option to boot with windows 7 professional or windows 10 Professional
I also made a copy of the 10 and 7 hard drives and store them in a safe place in case I need to clone a hard drive
that goes bad

Earlier this year I purchased a new computer. My workhorse dual core AMD machine had started shutting down for no apparent reason. I tolerated that till it did it four times in one day. Later inspection of the motherboard revealed swelled capacitors in the low voltage/ high current CPU supply area. A project for another day.

Anyway, the replacement came with Windows 11 installed. I would have preferred to boot up the first time with Fedora Core xx boot media installed but that wasn't an option. I could download the 2GB or so image on the old machine but every attempt to write it to a USB drive precipitated a shut down.

I tried to download that image using Windows 11 and it started but proceeded slowly. (Even with both the Ethernet and WiFi interfaces working.) Which is when I discovered that its default setting was to shut down after a few minutes inactivity. Downloading a file didn't count as activity. I never did get it to download that file even after changing that setting. I then used my smart phone and a micro SD card.

So my experiance with Win 11 was brief but unsatisfactory.

That shutdown activity is definitely not normal on 10 or 11 within a few minutes if you've set the timers to set the timers differently.

View attachment 539167

View attachment 539168

I have upgraded my two systems: a laptop and a desktop. The desktop drives an external DACC and has Ham Radio Deluxe and WSJT-X installed on it. So far no issues but I have not really delved deep.

After my HP desktop quit putting things out on the video, my son found a guy that he worked with that has a nice desktop and he is configuring it for me. He used it for mining bitcoins, so as soon as I get it then I'm going to start over with loading things on it and I'm looking at adding Ham Radio Deluxe. I'll have to wait until I get it to see what Windows program that he put on it.

I have one Windows 11 laptop and it is tedious, but it is dedicated to a particular piece of software that is likely buggy. I have 1 Windows 10 laptop that seems solid and 4 Windows 7 laptops that are rock solid. If given the choice, I would have all Windows 7 machines, but timed obsolesce etc. The wife is on 3 different Macs. I hate those - I like mice with more than one button. . .

I don't like the feel of W11 or honestly W10. The W11 computer (with the special software) is the only one I routinely have to stop working and reboot to make things work again. As I've said a bunch of times, the main purpose of that computer is to run software run by a small company and it is likely that software, not the OS.

Also, that one W11 machine is an HP Pavillion, the rest are HP Zbooks, way better hardware, IMO.

Sandy.

I just check system info and I'm still using ver. 10, but it has some done some frequent updates lately.
As long as this old computer works I don't really care what it runs.
When this thing dies, I'm done. No money to replace it, payments I can't afford.
I guess I'll have to break down and finally learn how to use this hand held computer phone thingy.
It would be nice to have a new liquid cooled Cybertron System though.

When this thing dies, I'm done. No money to replace it, payments I can't afford.
I guess I'll have to break down and finally learn how to use this hand held computer phone thingy.
They keep talking about A.I., but I have yet to see a computer that can configure itself to work properly. Windows is a travesty, but I guess it being such a headache keeps thousands and thousands of consultants employed. The more I use Windows, the more I love my Commodore 64.

Not a windows 11 issue, but recent computer headaches / rant:

Webex has a recent update. This is now causing us some issues. The main one being that the occasional users need to constantly log in, add their credential, and change their settings (Which mic, which speakers, lay out, etc..) it used to remember these... a step backwards in my opinion..

We also (finally!!) updated our server, and as such have also updated our Citrix environment. Again, an update that has added to an overall slowness, and has also removed some personal settings, making them "global". So now, every time I hit the CTRL key, I get a circle to denote where my mouse pointer is. it just seems more rigid than it used to be..

SO, some of these "improvements" only seem to make the maintainer's life easier. The user us stuck dealing with .. "stupidity" ..rigid, slow, etc.. I'm old, I don't need to constantly "improve my user experience"..

So when I hear of an "improvement" I highly suspect it isn't.. Windows 7 was about the best they had.

I would also add, that with these updates, you are expected to make new habits, and break old ones.. and to search for where they've move various functions / features.. (The 'ribbon' is a joke..)

/rant off

Last edited:
They keep talking about A.I., but I have yet to see a computer that can configure itself to work properly. Windows is a travesty, but I guess it being such a headache keeps thousands and thousands of consultants employed. The more I use Windows, the more I love my Commodore 64.
Forget AI. It can't even figure out how to check the Captcha box. Good thing, too, so we will have jobs after the AI uprising.

<off-topic>
Of course Macs support multi-button mice.
</off-topic>
Fair enough and I do agree - it was just a bit of a jab that a bitter PC based guy throws out at his wife from time to time . . :) "Honey, just right click on the . . . oh. . . yeah. . . only one button. . . Sorry. Can't help!"

The laptops are very well made and I am aware of people using VM's to run on the hardware for development on other platforms. So, to bring it back to topic, anyone running Windows 11 on a MAC with a Virtual Machine?

Sandy.

Windows 11 was a nightmare on my wife's laptop. Apparently it doesn't play nice with certain Dell laptops causing you to only get a black screen and mouse pointer. Keyboard doesn't work, so nothing to do. After much playing was able to get it to boot after a bios update, but then back to same problem. Found a help at Dell that addressed the exact problem,but their remedy only bought one very slow startup. After reboot failed, tricked it into another slow boot up by updating the bios again (backward this time), and was able to find within Windows Update a place to rollback to Win 10. Did that and all is well.

The laptops are very well made and I am aware of people using VM's to run on the hardware for development on other platforms. So, to bring it back to topic, anyone running Windows 11 on a MAC with a Virtual Machine?
I am not, but it's certainly possible to run the ARM version of Windows 11 on a modern Mac using Parallels Desktop. As far as I am aware it works fine.

I don't know if the issues I've been having with the new machine are Win11-specific but... I tried logging in this morning. I use a 32" monitor and a Razer keyboard with the laptop when I'm at home. Pressed the first key to type the password, and a string of characters appears. Did it twice more, finally had to shut down the computer and reboot, after which the keyboard worked properly. Never had this problem with the keyboard and Win10 on the old computer. I'm becoming less and less satisfied with this situation.

Back