What have you been building while the site was down?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a dry spell for a while but finally got back to the rockets. I posted my build threads with the kind folks over at YORF.

There was an Estes Invader: https://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=4409

An American Alliance Emulator that is still in progress: https://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=4473

A Quest Intruder: https://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=4435

A Pemberton Technologies Little Bucky Jones: https://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=4435

And I broke the drought with an Estes DOM PeeWee: https://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=4388

Additionally, I visited Rocketry Planet and posted a beta build for the HotRod Kestrel: https://www.rocketryplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3002

The rest of my "free" time has been engaged in repairs to various rockets.

Let me see...

Started building:
Rokitflite's U.S.S. Odyssey :D
Semroc's Nighthawk :)

Continue working on:
Estes' EAC Firecat clone :cool:
PDR's Orbital Transport :rolleyes:

Gathered parts to clone:
Estes EAC Viper
Estes Scale Honest John (18mm)

Also:
Organized my rocket stash
Organized my Field Box and my Rocket Building Tool Box

DSC00087.jpg

Ok - Let's start seeing some of the LPR projects you guys have been working on during the TRF downtime.

I just finished a circa 1970's style scratch Bertha - using a balsa nose. I'll post an image later.
Haven't built anything, just started two projects - a downscale ARC shark and an Estes Mean Machine scratch-clone.

Today I'm planning to make the shark motor mount and attach the fins.

I've built a few over the break. :D You gotta love the Semroc Christmas sale. Consequently, a lot of my recent birds have been Semroc builds.

over the break.jpg

Last edited:
Love the Shrox shuttle on the end!

Is it a kit or a clone?

The Shrox stuff is great. Is there a source for these anywhere?

asp v2
currel paper v2
paper black brank II
paper little joe II
model minets Tri carrow
scale sputnic (current build )
scale v2 stands for the asp and for the currel v2
a-corn
corn roc
Corn E
cap rocket
cap payloader
cap d
scratch build

Last edited:
Have been working on my vintage Estes K-29 1/70 scale Saturn 1-B that has
been in storage for some 20+ years, only that I've made some modifications
for the recovery mode (will separate and return like the Centuri 1/100 scale
model) and will use the Apogee Apollo Capsule kit with RCS. In fact, this
evening I finished the roll pattern on the IU/SIV-B section.

Great to be back at TRF!!

Dave, NAR # 21853 SR., Team # 040
Challenger 498 Section NAR Advisor

Got half of the roll pattern on the interstage section, so more progress is forthcoming.

Estes K-29 Saturn 1-B Build.jpg

Semroc SLS Brighton which flew on three D12-5 motors at a DARS launch this past Saturday.
Semroc VF-261 which flew on a B6-4 and a thin-mill nylon chute. It currently resides 50 feet up in the top of a tree.
Mad Cow Rocketry Skreech which flew in primer with an LMS F20-7.
Red River Rocketry P-Chuter X-treme which did not fly due to the wind. I do now have a couple of Roadrunner E25-7 motors to fly it later.
Several other projects in work or awaiting paint.

Here are three Big Bertha's I built. You can never have enough Bertha's

DSC00003.jpg

All this time and I've never built a Big Bertha.

Some how that seems strange.

Even though it is MPR instead, I have been working on my Pem Tech King Kraken.

It just received it's second coat of primer and is ready for painting and I also will be ordering the chute in the next day or so. I'm going with a 36 inch Spherachute, red and black of course to match the rocket.:D

For the first flight, it will be going up on an AT 38/120 G67R-S, can't wait.:D

I also built my Fliskits Adfecta that I got from my SS which unfortunately went unstable on a C11-5. Luckily the damage was minimal but I'm not sure if any future flights will be attempted however.

Glad that TRF is finally up and running again.:)

Hmmmmm...
With moving to the new house there hasn't been much time for recreation but I did get a new King Kraken put together and painted. It was to replace the previous one that came in ballistic after I forgot to drill the delay element on the Pro-38 motor.
DOH!
:mad:

Then there is the little Semroc V2 that is for the 2009 EMRR Challenge.
And that is about it....

MAybe I'll get some pics posted tomorrow.

Wow! Looks like some of you have been busy. I acquired a couple of kits during the interim. However, I can't start on them until after I've finished remodeling a bathroom. If all goes well, I'm hoping to get started on one of the kits by mid february.

2009SemrocProjects002.jpg

Last edited:
Love the Shrox shuttle on the end!

Is it a kit or a clone?

It's a clone. The PDF was available on the old forum a while back and I finally got around to building one. Made a few adjustments to it. I gave the glider a little more wing area, and gave a second ventral fin to the booster. By the way, does anyone have a scan of the decals for the Star Shuttle? It's the one thing that was not included in the PDF.

Ok - Let's start seeing some of the LPR projects you guys have been working on during the TRF downtime.

I just finished a circa 1970's style scratch Bertha - using a balsa nose. I'll post an image later.

Actually while TRF was down, I was so bumbed out, i only build one new micro.

The T3 Solar Flare.

MM 361p01a-sm_T3 Solar Flare const_12-02-08.JPG

MM 361p01b-sm_Solar Flare Const. BT-55 ring_12-02-08.JPG

MM 361p01d-sm_Basecoat Blk & White_01-10-09.jpg

MM 361p01e1-sm_Yellow ColorCoat body Close_01-11-09.JPG

MM 361p01f2-sm_T-3 Micro Solar Flare Complete_01-12-09.JPG

Well maybe:
I'm in one of those slumps... got a bunch of stuff in the drawing stage but really nothing on the building table at all.
Even the T3 Solar Flare was a bit of a disappointment flight was... she's a real Piggy with a Liftoff weight of 15.2grams. only got about 10-12 feet in a 10mph breeze and did a flip at burnout. I'm going to down Scale it to T2+ or T2++ depending on the OD of the ring fin.

MM 361Lp01a-sm_T3 SolarFlare on Pad_01-18-09.JPG

MM 361Lp01b-sm_T3 SolarFlare mid bad flight_01-18-09.JPG

Well maybe:
I'm in one of those slumps... got a bunch of stuff in the drawing stage but really nothing on the building table at all.
Even the T3 Solar Flare was a bit of a disappointment flight was... she's a real Piggy with a Liftoff weight of 15.2grams. only got about 10-12 feet in a 10mph breeze and did a flip at burnout. I'm going to down Scale it to T2+ or T2++ depending on the OD of the ring fin.

An excellent case where a B14-0 could be used, if someone could manufacture them.

don't know if I started this when TRF was down, but I did work on it then
The "Target" commercial rocket.
Still needs some painting.

And I did finish my Navy upscale. :D

target1 (Large).JPG

target (Large).jpg

navy (Large).jpg

An upscale Quest Super Bird with a 29mm motor mount using Semroc tubing and nose cone.

Semroc Aerobee Hi and Astrobee 350. All are waiting to be painted. Need some warmer weather.

Just starting a TLP Bull Pup.

Need to take some pics.

Last edited:
Back