What has your experience been with Canada?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GL-P

Reaction score
I'm interested in hearing (any) stories of anyone's travels to the Northern boonies (Canada). Good or bad stories are both welcome! :D

My first trip to Canada, our car was kinda new. We were used to English measurement, and we had conversion charts for EVERYTHING. Well, every time we came across a new KM/H sign, my dad would throw back the speed conversion paper: "How fast are we supposed to be going????!!!" Well, then we discovered the little tiny KM/H numbers on t he dash.... Now our Buick just has a button we can hit to convert it, AND a light on the dash telling what we are measuring in...

My experience with Canada has been very nice. Just went there the 2nd time this summer.

My experience with Canada has been very nice. Just went there the 2nd time this summer.

Where'd you go?

My experiences with USA have been very nice. Went down to LDRS in New York. Had a blast!!!

Stayed in Victoria for a cople nights, I believe I posted on TRF during that stay. Then I went to Vancouver for a couple hours and ended up in some small town close to the border....

It's a nice area up there. Nice scenery!!!

in 1986 (Expo '86!) and 1987 I took extended summer vacations in BC and Alberta. most excellent! the scenery is terrific, the people are friendly, the beer was passable (no pun intended). fond memories of blasting Max Webster & Kim Mitchell tapes (Rush & Saga too) on those looonnng northern highway drives ... Lake Louise! train rides, ghost towns, glaciers, aspens, lakes, is everything named McKenzie River up there? $2 bills, $1 coins. Tylenol-3. those looonnng twilight evenings ... can't wait to go back. maybe for LDRS next year...

what a shock going back in to the states, at the border in Idaho, getting the entire car strip-searched. I guess they saw the CA plates and thought we were long hair pot smoking college students - got any Handguns, boy? blah.

Originally posted by GL-P
I'm interested in hearing (any) stories of anyone's travels to the Northern boonies (Canada). Good or bad stories are both welcome! :D

I've been many times. I've been through every province that borders the US, most of the length of the Trans-Canadian Highway. The only time any of it was bad was when we were camping at Calumet, between Montreal and Ottawa, and someone stole half our luggage.

Best trip was Expo 67. Haven't seen anything like that since.

This has nothing to do with the rest of Canada. but........

Visited the Eastern Townships to ski a couple times......they were, uh........well.......if ya can't say anything decent don't say anything......I'll keep quiet. Except to say I never plan on returning there.

Living in Michigan on the shore of Lake Huron directly across from Goderich, Ontario since 1957...all I've ever know when it comes to television has been mostly Canadian.

Yes, I remember Razzle Dazzle, The Friendly Giant, Romper Room but Bowling for Dollars???

Still can't beat, Second City, Kids in the Hall, Made in Canada or...everybodys favorite...RED GREEN!

Corner Gas is growing on me. BUT...Movie night in Canada??? Who are they kidding??? Where's Don Cherry??

My favorite Canadian TV commercial was Wayne Gretsky and the Ford Commercial where the horns beeped put the theme to Hockey Night in Canada!

When I got married my best man was from Sania and now lives in Mississauga.

I go to Sarnia a few times a year...it's only 25 miles away...but the bridge crossing since 9/11 is a pain!

My daughter and I have to make our annual trip to Canadian Tire before Christmas!

I will admit...Canada was a LOT nicer 25 years ago...Toronto seems to be catching up with Detroit in too many areas.

Like, good day eh...
And welcome to our thread.

Todays topic, like, is where to get good beer in cananda.

As most of you know, we canadians pride ourselves on our beer. In fact, we had Mr. Molson make us up one special. He called it 'Canadian'. So, at least you could declare yourself at the border, or you can get a beer...

so, like, let's hear from some of our other viewers..
It's teh Internet bob..

Well, I guess we better be reading 'dem dare tings den, eh?!

har har.. could resist the ole' Bob & Doug routine. Classic (yet dated) canadiana!

Hey Chuck Rudy, The townships are jsut about an hour away. What set you off about them? It's one of teh more 'engilsh / tolerant' areas in Qweeebec..

As for me, I am canadian, and have driven across this country 7 times! I've lived in Vancouver for 5 years, and have skied where mountains will allow.

Someone once asked why is there a rivalry between Montreal and Toronto. And he was answered with: Who would you rather party with? The accountant or the boozing womenizer party animal? Accountants go to Toronto!

Originally posted by Dr Wogz

Hey Chuck Rudy, The townships are jsut about an hour away. What set you off about them? It's one of teh more 'engilsh / tolerant' areas in Qweeebec..

Soon after we checked into a hotel (three skiing families, not talkin' partying roomcrashers) we were told they would put us up that night, but we had to leave for the next three as they had overbooked. This was from the owner, not a real decent human being. We did have reservations. We passed by this hotel the next three days and there were no more than 10 cars in the parking lot at any one time, and we were headed to breakfast at 6am, so it's not like we werent' passing by when the lot should have been full.

At dinner it took us more than twice as long to be served as others sitting in adjacent tables despite the fact we were there long before the others. This was not perception, this became more obvious every night. One of the group got soup with metal shavings in it. Things got hot and heavy that night, but it was implied only the waitress spoke English.

At one resort one of the older parents was hit in the head with a T bar. One car had a flat and a guy in a pickup truck rented him a breaker bar (his lug nut size differed from ours) for $20. And this truck belonged to the ski area.

I don't know if all English speaking folks are treated like they have leprosy, or if it's just aimed at English speaking Canadians, but we were turned off.

Our time spent at Mont Tremblant over towards Montreal was far more than pleasant, it was a great time......The Eastern Townships (directly over Vermont) will never see us there again. Nufff said.

I've never been there, but I would like to, go on a fly-in fishing trip:)

I went up to Lake Kashimawigamog (say THAT 10 times fast!) to visit relatives... Wonderfull place! everyones so friendly up there...

We went on this highway where there were no tollbooths... There was almost noone on it. It was great! aparantly they were supposed to send us a big bill using our licence plate number, but its been over a year and they havnt charged us a cent. Go figure! :rolleyes:

Originally posted by GL-P

Some of the border guards going into Canada are power-hungry cop wannabe's. Canada itself was beautiful and we had a great time. It takes some getting used to. They don't seem to have a convenience store or gas station on every street corner like we're used to. They also served peach nectar with breakfast, which both my wife and I thought was cool. The people were very nice also, but we tend to treat people like we want them to treat us because it more often than not works. I'm blessed with the ability to shift gears quickly when they don't return the courtesy we show. (Which made things interesting with the crossing guard. It took quite some time for my wife's fingernail marks to fade from my arm. Anyone know how the jails are up there? :D )

Originally posted by Dr Wogz
Like, good day eh...
And welcome to our thread.

Todays topic, like, is where to get good beer in cananda.

As most of you know, we canadians pride ourselves on our beer. In fact, we had Mr. Molson make us up one special. He called it 'Canadian'. So, at least you could declare yourself at the border, or you can get a beer...

so, like, let's hear from some of our other viewers..
It's teh Internet bob..

Well, I guess we better be reading 'dem dare tings den, eh?!

har har.. could resist the ole' Bob & Doug routine. Classic (yet dated) canadiana!

Beauty, Doc! I loved Bob & Doug. Saw the movie. Bought the touque. Went to a Halloween party dressed as Doug once. (Even played the Beer Hunter game at a party once.)
That said, I promise that I won't associate them too much with actual Canadian reality if you'll promise that you won't think we all talk like Larry The Cable Guy down here in Kentucky. :D

Bill Eichelberger
Looking forward to another trip to the great white north sometime soon.

When I was in high school we went canoeing and camping in the Algonquin national park for a week with our youth group. The people we meet were extremely nice. That park is one of the most beautiful places I have ever been.

Originally posted by Fishhead
Beauty, Doc! I loved Bob & Doug. Saw the movie. Bought the touque. Went to a Halloween party dressed as Doug once. (Even played the Beer Hunter game at a party once.)

Did you know that "Strange Brew," the Bob & Doug McKenzie movie, is an allegory to Hamlet?

- It takes place at Elsinore Brewery (Elsinore is the castle in Hamlet)
- Pam's uncle Claude kills her father, then marries her mother in order to take over the brewery (Hamlet's uncle kills his father, then marries his mother, to take over the throne)
- Pam's father's ghost lives in the electrical system of the brewery, and warns her of what's going on (Hamlet's father's ghost warns him of what's going on)
- Hamlet is in love with Ophelia, who's insane, and drowns (Pam falls in love with Jean "Rosie" LaRose, the hockey player who's in the next-door insane asylum, and nearly drowns with Bob and Doug)
- Bob and Doug are framed, and nearly drowned (Rosencranz and Guildenstern are framed, and killed)

Oh, and BTW, the actor who plays Rosie, Angus MacInnes, also played the Rebel fighter pilot "Gold Leader" in Star Wars.

OK...A tip for you Yanks going to Canada.

I told the guy that was riding with me to Canada once.

When the Canadian Customs/Immigration officer asks you your citisenship tell him "I am a U.S. citizen." Don't say "I'm American". A lot of Canadians concider themselves American as citizens of North America.

Naturally he decided to be funny...

The border guard asked me my citizenshi pand I ansered "U.S citizen."

He Answered "I'm an American!"

We were called immedietly into the "secondary" inspection and we both started to get out of the car when a guard walked up to ME and said, "No, sir, you wait in the car!"

The talked to him for about 30 minutes and he came back very very embarrased.

They didn't want to talk to me...we left.

Remember...you yanks are U.S. Citizens!

Spent a few days in London, Ontario a few days ago. Didn't get out of teh office much, but the people we met, mainly waiters and waitresses admitedly, seemed nice enough. Didn't get any where much, but had a stroll downtown on the Saturday afternoon and it struck me as a sort of cross between the US and the UK, mainly the US, but it just didn't seem quite as different.

Ate here a few times: https://www.garlics.on.ca/
I recommend it!

Afterwards we travelled on to the US. It was one of the longest immigration experiences I've had. They split us up and questioned us for an hour as to why we were coming to the US, and why we had come via Canada.

Oh...another important tip to remember when crossing the border into Canada and back to the U.S.!

The border personel, both U.S. and Canadian since 9/11 have absolutely NO sense of humor!

Be very serious and cooperative...never joke!

Unless you do have something to hide...then yer on yer own!

Hokky,

You were less than an hour and a half from me!

Let me know the next time you're going to be that close.

I have been to Niagara Falls (the Canadian side of course!) on a road trip with friends once and to Vancouver on business (actually I had a whole day to kill & a rental car while in Seattle).

NF was awesome because we were there in early September (about 8 yrs ago). Most of the tourists had long since returned to warmer climates & we were able to walk right up to the railing to take a look :D

Vancouver was memorable because of a sushi restaurant that Ii found for lunch. I was one of maybe a dozen non-Asians** & the place was packed! Some of the best sushi I've ever had too. It was an all-you-can-eat lunch and the bill came to less than $10 CANADIAN (which at the time was about $8.50) :eek: :cool: I would have paid 3 times that in the States easily!

I found both cities to be extremely well kept & clean as well as everyone to be kind and friendly. I have had many Candian friends & coworkers over the years that have assured me that all points in between those 2 cities are just as nice. I'd love to go back & I'd probably even consider living there if it weren't so doggone cold 6+ months out of the year! I'll stay in Florida till then... :D

** - restaurant advice to dine by: If going to an ethnic restaurant, the more people of that ethnicity eating there directly indicates how good the food is.

Had a great holiday in Eastern Canada a few years ago chasing interesting aircraft to photo. We went from Ottawa to Montreal and back down to Toronto. I didn't particularly like Quebec Province - it was untidy, even dirty in places, Ontario was so clean and tidy (maybe I'm a closet accountant) . The road signs were nearly all in French whereas in Ontario they stuck by the rules and were bilingual - but thats the French all over - The Old Enemy ;)

Originally posted by sandman

Hokky,

You were less than an hour and a half from me!

Let me know the next time you're going to be that close.

It was a while back. That last trip would have been late '97! I don't do as much travelling these days, but if I'm ever in the area, I'll give you a shout!

The only place to get a good Bloody Caeser!

I travel to Toronto for a week a month, have also spent a lot of time in Edmonton and Vancouver.

Good things:

Bloody Caeser
Cuban Cigars
Friendly People
Montreal Smoked meat

Bad Things:

Block heaters (edmonton)
poutine

And what's soo bad about poutine?! it's our provincial (soon national, if 'they' get their way!) dish!! Nuthin better than a bowl of fries smotherd in artery clogging gravy. Mmmm... and some cheese curds thrown in for nutrition value! Keeps ya warm though!!

Rudy. Pitty you got to see some 'real quebecers' Mostly we're a nice bunch, but there are a few that still hold a grudge that they were left all those years ago to fight a war agains the rest of (what is now Canada) and (what is now NE USA). Pitty, as some despise anything English, and will try to convert you to French (look at some in Florida...)

New Brunswick is the only 'Official' bilingual privince in Canada. It works for them, why can't it work for us (Quebec)....

Actually, most of Ontario's signs are french & english only on the way to Ottawa, and to Toronto. Anything west of these, and you get more and more English...

Vancouver is Sushi capital of Canada. Always a Sushi bar on one corner, and a Starbuck's on the other!! Loved it while I lived there, 'fast food'!! and Cheap!!

4 Star, My dad's from Whitby! Grew up In Grosmont, and a few farms about the area. Miss it! His dad had a jeweler's shop in Whitby..

Let's hear it for Wawa Ontario!! And teh whole stretch of teh Trans Canada from Wawa to Thrunder bay!

Originally posted by seo
Good things:

Bloody Caeser

For the uninformed, this is basically a Bloody Mary, made with Spicy Clamato (a truly bizarre concotion of tomato and clam juice). (I used to have them as a client. Eew.)

Originally posted by kenobi65
For the uninformed, this is basically a Bloody Mary, made with Spicy Clamato (a truly bizarre concotion of tomato and clam juice). (I used to have them as a client. Eew.)

Also, I think they also use something called Caeser salt on the rim, which seams to be a spicy celery salt.

I guess they're an acquired taste, but I like them when I'm there!:)

I have been to Canada probably a dozen times, never had any trouble up there. The people were all nice, the country was beautiful (ever been to Victoria B.C.?).

Only time I had difficulty on a trip to Canada was once in college when we were on the way back to the U.S. We stopped and waited at the U.S. customs station because it wasn't open yet, and we didn't know if we would get in trouble for just driving on by. When they finally opened they took our car apart (they didn't like our looks?). They even wanted my friend to open all the cans of motor oil he had in the trunk. Jerks.

Sorry, my internet hasn't been working.

Dang beavers!:D

Suggestion on Canadians travelling to the U.S. with an M hybrid motor in the back. Answer truthfully!

"Are you carrying any motors"

"No"

This should spike some discussion "Are hybrids motors dangerous?" :D

I like quebecers. Cool bunch. DOn't judge till you've met the A3MAQ members.

Love the little ski hills around here. Nice little company feeling

Don't like poutine-too greasy

Beer-not old enough

Vancouver is the capital of many things not so legal :D
(don't ask, don't tell)

I've been as far east as the rockies and as far west as Nova Scotia

Now, have any you heard a newfie joke?

The names of towns in Newfoundland are hilarious (*ildo) :D :D
Only in Canada eh!

Back