What happened to Vulcan?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dragonshiprider

Reaction score
Over in another section I brought up the subjedct of Vulcan motors.Now I'm curious.Does anyone know what happened to them and why?I've had to leave the fray a few time and they just disappeared on me.

I thought they left to do military solid propellant, though I may be wrong.

The last I heard of them: they were making Dark Star motors for Estes,given that they both reside in CO.

They did have a bunch of military contracts , but heard ( don't quote me on this )they dropped out due to not having the proper paper work to go commerical.

They made the best single use motors on the market,
everything from an F 80 to an L750!!!!

BTW: I did my Lv1 cert on a Vulcan H 115 Smokey Sam

I do miss them,

JD

Originally posted by dragonshiprider
What happened to Vulcan?

Romulans invaded them?

;) :rolleyes: Sorry.... could not resist :D

They had some awesome products.... like a 24mm and 29mm G200. That motor had the prettyest blue flame I have ever seen!

I always thought that the Dark Star motors were probabily Vulcan in origin... now I know my suspicion was correct ;)

I want a L750 for my Magnum....

Originally posted by n3tjm
Romulans invaded them?

;) :rolleyes: Sorry.... could not resist :D

"They had some awesome products.... like a 24mm and 29mm G200. That motor had the prettyest blue flame I have ever seen!"

I don't know if you caught it on another thread but I have an old 24 mm G200.I tried to fly it at Battlepark in Spring of 2003 by Mike wouldn't let me do it `cause it wasn't certified anymore.Don't know when (if) I'll ever get to fly it.Don't even know if I wanna.

"I want a L750 for my Magnum...."

Yeah I can dig that! That's one I've always wanted to pull,too.

Battlepark is coming up on Halloween weekend.That's Mike Showalters turf down there.I'll ask him this question.If there is anyone who knows the answer he will `cause he has got to be the biggest Vulcan nut since Mr.Spock.

You guys could ask Tom Binford.
He had them build a couple of one off Vulcan O 3000 or something in that range..

JD

Originally posted by dragonshiprider
Over in another section I brought up the subjedct of Vulcan motors.Now I'm curious.Does anyone know what happened to them and why?I've had to leave the fray a few time and they just disappeared on me.

Scott Dixon (Vulcan) is alive and well in Colorado. His work is primarily commercial and military but he does have a relationship with Estes. Mike Dennett came to CTI from Vulcan and Estes and stays in contact with Scott. Although the Pro Smoky Sam (note the spelling) propellant differs from Vulcan's, the name was used with Scotts approval. The ballistics and visual effects are almost identical.

Hellfire was another nice propellant that Vulcan manufactured. ;-)

Anthony J. Cesaroni
President/CEO
Cesaroni Technology/Cesaroni Aerospace
https://www.cesaronitech.com/
(905) 887-2370 x222 Toronto
(410) 571-8292 Annapolis

Originally posted by Anthony Cesaroni
Hellfire was another nice propellant that Vulcan manufactured. ;-)

Yeah, but I really miss that old Urinsco Redeye! WOW what a motor. Of course, the Spitfire was even better... Skidmark ain't got nuttin' on Spitfire! :D

</hijack>

Way back when Aerotech's reloadable motors were first catching on, Vulcan and Estes involved in producing a video purporting to show the "dangers" of allowing reloads to be shipped. They sent this video to DOT, ATF, CSPC and who knows what other agencies. It woke the "sleeping giant" and resulted in many of the regulatory hassles that have faced the hobby in the years since. There was considerable anger toward those companies, and many of us refused to buy motors from Vulcan. (Some talked about boycotting Estes too, but if they did, it had little effect on Estes' multi-million dollar business.)

I don't know whether this boycott had anything to do with Vulcan leaving the hobby business, but they were not around much longer.

Originally posted by Ray Dunakin
Way back when Aerotech's reloadable motors were first catching on, Vulcan and Estes involved in producing a video purporting to show the "dangers" of allowing reloads to be shipped. They sent this video to DOT, ATF, CSPC and who knows what other agencies. It woke the "sleeping giant" and resulted in many of the regulatory hassles that have faced the hobby in the years since. There was considerable anger toward those companies, and many of us refused to buy motors from Vulcan. (Some talked about boycotting Estes too, but if they did, it had little effect on Estes' multi-million dollar business.)

I don't know whether this boycott had anything to do with Vulcan leaving the hobby business, but they were not around much longer.

My understanding is Vulcan elected to withdraw from the hobby market primarily as they had no desire to enter the reloadable hobby motor market despite extensive experience in reloadable motor design for professional applications. The other major reasons cited were the distasteful political climate and poor profit margins. Vulcan instead decided to focus on its commercial and military business, and this decision has turned out to be wise as the company remains viable to this day, and expresses no desire to return to that market in the near future.

Regarding the actual tests, why doesn't someone ask J. Pat Miller for a copy of the subsequent and oft-forgotten NAR burn test video and compare the two?

Anthony J. Cesaroni
President/CEO
Cesaroni Technology/Cesaroni Aerospace
https://www.cesaronitech.com/
(905) 887-2370 x222 Toronto
(410) 571-8292 Annapolis

Back