What Glue is Right For Your Rocket?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Neil, don't bother. You're only going to get frustrated trying to explain things. I learned this from another thread the kid posted. He says he knows what he's doing, after all he's been doing it for a whole 4 years. So he doesn't need advice from those of us who have been doing it for 50+ years.
Save your sage advice for those who are open minded and humble enough to accept it.

Are you not aware that you can use white or yellow glue for fillets? That would be the normal approach for paper-and-wood rockets.
I dont like to use it usually we need to build rockets within 30 mins , so hot glue is easy to use fast, and it works the same way yellow glue works no hassles. I have tried to use wood glue for fillets but have not liked to use it for fast building projects due to wait for next lair for 15 mins.

In other words I build rockets on a monthly bases within a certain amount of time and I have found hot glue almost is like wood glue

And yes I do use Hot Glue as a Fillet, but this is due partially that we have low funds and no experience with epoxy. + to the fact that none of my rockets have ever had issues with Hot glue fillings (4 + years of doing this btw)

I know what I am doing

You'd be better off using no fillets at all rather than hot glue.

We need to change the title of this thread to it's opposite-- "What glue NOT to use for your rocket" to warn other newcomers who want actual advice.

I just was giving my opinion on the topic , dont be so harsh on my building. In all regards I have properly built rockets for the last 3 years without failure of a fin breaking off. In that it self, kinda says "why not it works"

I have done this in woodwork for years. Titebond wood glue does not care if you use a small drop of CA glue near each end of what you are attaching. It sets quickly, especially with accelerator. Then the fin is well clamped, held strongly in place while the wood glue takes a set.

I did notice a slight miscommunication in the first post. Titebond three is considered a waterproof glue, not for immersion, but waterproof when cured. I use it for ice cream scoop lamination blanks for the lathe. Thats is cherry, oily purpleheart, and walnut. The strange design is by request that it stand and balance on the end of wooden handle.

Attachments

• 20201010_173804.jpg
    20201010_173804.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
I have done this in woodwork for years. Titebond wood glue does not care if you use a small drop of CA glue near each end of what you are attaching. It sets quickly, especially with accelerator. Then the fin is well clamped, held strongly in place while the wood glue takes a set.

I did notice a slight miscommunication in the first post. Titebond three is considered a waterproof glue, not for immersion, but waterproof when cured. I use it for ice cream scoop lamination blanks for the lathe. Thats is cherry, oily purpleheart, and walnut. The strange design is by request that it stand and balance on the end of wooden handle.
Steve: I knew with you being a woodworker that you would be reviving up old glue threads. :p

I do really enjoy glue. Lol.

I used to own Serene Aquatics, Corals are living animals. Any healthy broken piece of coral will usually grow a whole new colony. I used super glue to glue the new colony to small pieces of live rock untill it grew its own attachment and covered the rock, then would sell it. So as my friend that did the same thing, I glued animals to rocks.

Latest posts

Back