What gives with Quest EZ Payloader?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I intended on putting this kit together for a friend's son, but as I test fitted the parts, I noticed that the plastic launch lugs are not stood off from the body tube to accomodate the fatter payload section.

How did ya'll get around this?

most 1/8" rods are flexible enough to slide over the payload section. yeah you lose a little bit on the up part but with a payloader who cares.

Originally posted by SpaceGarbageMan
I intended on putting this kit together for a friend's son, but as I test fitted the parts, I noticed that the plastic launch lugs are not stood off from the body tube to accomodate the fatter payload section.

How did ya'll get around this?

Never seen that bird, but what I've done to line up lugs with a larger payload section is glue the lower one on a fin out from the body.

I ran into this on some Estes kits too----they molded the one-piece fin unit to include the LL, but didn't put the lug far enough away from the BT to clear the payload section.

I trimmed off the useless plastic and glued on some new LL on a stand-off.

I guess we have to expect this kind of mistake to pop up once in a while. They are only human too over at the rocket companies.

JUST CUT A RECTANGULAR PIECE OF BALSA TO STANOFF THE LAUNCH LUG. GLUE THE LAUNCH LUG TO THE PIECE OF BALSA(CUT BALSA TO THE LENGTH & WIDTH OF THE LL) & WHEN DRY, GLUE THE ASSEMBLY TO THE MAIN ROCKET BODY! :)

Generally, I glue one to the payload section (in line with a fin) and glue the other one on a fin the same distance out.

I forgot to mention: with the EZ Payloader, don't use the upper lug.

if you use the upper lug, the launch rod will bend and have too much friction against the payload section.

just use the one on the fin can. that's enough to keep it straight and get it flying.

Latest posts

Back