What? Editing is blocked? Why?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

K'Tesh

OpenRocket Chuck Norris
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I was going to make a change to one of my own threads, and now I can't edit it.

Sew mis pellin ererz cannut b fxd.

What gives?

[EDIT] Mind you, this was on my .ork files thread.

Marc_G

Reaction score
Let me try to edit something.
Edit: It worked!
Second edit: note that I am using the Tapatalk app since I am at work, rather than my PC browser

Bat-mite

Rocketeer in MD
Reaction score
I found I couldn't upload a picture today. Had to use "Manage Attachments." Somebody "upgrade" something?

K'Tesh

OpenRocket Chuck Norris
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Looks like the oldest posts (from the first to the 364th post) are the ones affected in my .ork files thread. I wanted to update some info, add an image, and do some tweaking to the index, and now I can't.

K'Tesh

OpenRocket Chuck Norris
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Still can't Edit older posts... I kinda need to if I'm to be able to update my OpenRocket files thread.

K'Tesh

OpenRocket Chuck Norris
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I REALLY! REALLY!! REALLY!!! need to update my .ork files thread...

Anyone?
Anyone?
Anyone?

samb

Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Why not a targeted PM to one of these folks ?

TRF admins 2017MAR.jpg

Except troj. He's long gone. :blush:

Angie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Global Mod
Reaction score
I have checked your settings and your member classification does have the 'edit own posts' feature turned on. How long ago were the posts you want to edit posted? Or can you give me a link to your thread and what post range, I'll be happy to look at them and see if I can see why you are not able to edit.

K'Tesh

OpenRocket Chuck Norris
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I have checked your settings and your member classification does have the 'edit own posts' feature turned on. How long ago were the posts you want to edit posted? Or can you give me a link to your thread and what post range, I'll be happy to look at them and see if I can see why you are not able to edit.
Hi Angie,

My OpenRocket files, starting from post #1 to post #364 cannot be edited... Looks like all my posts older than two weeks or so have been altered to prevent editing.

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?123564-K-Tesh-s-OpenRocket-files

Angie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Global Mod
Reaction score
I'm going to have to look at various things. I think in the 4 years there may have been one or two server changes that the forum runs on. That may be the issue.

I'll have to think on this a little bit, poke around and look at some things to see if I can make it happen.

I'll let you know how things are going.

Angie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Global Mod
Reaction score
Can any member edit one of their own posts any time before a posting date of Feb 7, 2017? We are trying to track down K'Tesh's issue, and Admin can edit the post he cannot. Moderator can edit, also. Now any registered member should have editing their own post ability as that is checked yes in the settings.

If one or two of you can try it and report here, it would be appreciated.

K'tesh, can you try editing on one of your other threads/posts before the Feb 7, date? That will also help tell if it's all of your posts or just that thread.

Thanks

neil_w

Mr. Hot Shot Internal Fillet Guy 😎
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Same here, no editing button on older threads. Zoinks.

rstaff3

Oddroc-eteer
Reaction score
Confirmed here too. If you make a new post on an old thread, you can edit that, FAIW.

samb

Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Feb13 seems to be the magic "no edit button" cutoff date for me.

K'Tesh

OpenRocket Chuck Norris
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Hi Angie,

The problem exists in other older posts.

Angie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Global Mod
Reaction score
Thanks for all those that tried and gave feed back. Now I have explicit information to give to tech to see if something was reset on the servers at the Feb timeframe.

Rex R

LV2
Reaction score
for me it is Feb 12 2017 & earlier that do not give me the option of editing.
Rex

CoyoteNumber2

Original San Diego High Power Rocketry
Reaction score
I can't delete my posts. Is this related, a separate issue, or by design?

Angie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Global Mod
Reaction score
You cannot delete your posts, as this is a way of threads being disrupted. The mods and admins can delete spam posts or posts with a decent reason for the deletion.

I have not found the reason for the mid February date of no editing. K'Tesh, I'm trying to figure out a solution for you on your thread. The only thing I can think of right now is to copy the post you wish to edit and then make the corrections with a note at the bottom that's it's corrected. If you do that, let me know and I can insert a small, see post #??? for an update.

Angie

CoyoteNumber2

Reaction score
Up until the last few weeks or so we've been able to delete our posts. What prompted this new policy?

samb

Lifetime Member
Reaction score
You cannot delete your posts, as this is a way of threads being disrupted. The mods and admins can delete spam posts or posts with a decent reason for the deletion.

I have not found the reason for the mid February date of no editing. K'Tesh, I'm trying to figure out a solution for you on your thread. The only thing I can think of right now is to copy the post you wish to edit and then make the corrections with a note at the bottom that's it's corrected. If you do that, let me know and I can insert a small, see post #??? for an update.

Angie
Up until the last few weeks or so we've been able to delete our posts. What prompted this new policy?
Angie I must agree with the Coyote on this; the delete post function was available (and useful IMHO). Not being able to do so IS a change in the operation of this place.

georgegassaway

Lifetime Supporter
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, I ran across the problem of not being able to delete posts yesterday. I had posted an animated GIF in the LOL thread that only ran once and did not repeat, so wanted to remove the whole post. And ended up accidentally duplicating the post, two messages. Ended up finding a couple of other images to post in each instead, but I'd rather have deleted at least one if not both messages.

Well, at least now I know this is a real problem. I was wondering if I was thinking of a different forum where I could delete messages, and not this one. Otherwise it's been a long time since i'd deleted a post.

As for threads being disrupted if a post was deleted, that's still easy to do. The author can just change whatever they wrote, to something entirely different (an even worse disruption), or simply just replace what they wrote with two words: "message deleted". At least that is a viable option until someone quotes that message before they change it.

CoyoteNumber2

Reaction score

Angie
Angie, will you please address what prompted the change in users being allowed to delete their posts?

Peartree

Cyborg Rocketeer
Staff member
Administrator
Global Mod
Reaction score
Angie, will you please address what prompted the change in users being allowed to delete their posts?
In her message that you just quoted, she just said that she doesn't know and she's trying to discover what caused it.

Angie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Global Mod
Reaction score
I'm still checking things. I don't have all the answers for you yet, and will not answer what it could be until I know for sure.

blackjack2564

Crazy Jim's Gone Banana's
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I edited a thread from 2013 on Feb 14 2017.
Now after checking, I see there no longer is an "edit" button.
Just posting this in hopes that time line my help you.

Angie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Global Mod
Reaction score
Thanks for the information blackjack, it will help the things I'm checking.

CoyoteNumber2 - I'm checking things out and I'll answer when I have enough information to not be guessing at things. Also, I'm checking on what the site owner has done to tweak the performance and security of the site recently.

Latest posts