What does your screen name mean?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elapid

Reaction score
some are obvious, but like mine, some not so...

wwell.jpg

Mine means "fast". It used to mean "fast ogive shaped nose cone", but I had to shorten it becouse I was infringing on Zippy Pin Head's copyrights. :)

Japanese for "North Star" or "Polaris". Came about because of a manga-style t-shirt design I was doing for my local club.

Mean? For why should it mean?

"He's just this guy, you know?" -- HHGttG

University of Illinois classes of '86, '88, and '91

Mines stands for Paul John Bigas living in the town of Atglen.

Well...most people here should be familiar with the term "MaxQ". I have been using MaxxQ for several years on various message boards, but when I got back into rocketry and found this board, I noticed someone else already had that name, so I switched it around.

Well, I have a few beers around the house. I'm trying to keep it under 50 gallons at any one time though. :p
Those are Hops in my avitar! Just like my beer.
Alt.JPG

It's the name of my company, Occam Medical Design. But has evolved into military design, marine design and microcontroller design as well
Occam's razor is a theorem in physics which loosely states that given two solutions, the simplest is the correct one. This is how I handle my designs.

Here's a better description:
https://skepdic.com/occam.html

My usual online name is slotrod (I race slot cars as well, and like to build hot rod versions, hence slotrod). But I didn't think that slotrod fit model rockets very well...

Back in the Late Jurrassic period when I started model rocketry, most everything ESTES produced was 'Astron' this or that.... (Yes, I led a distinctly ESTES-centric childhood. I never even heard of Centuri until 1976.)

Anyway, I thought that the play on Astro-boy would be funny.

As for the origin of Astron... it is said that Vern Estes picked it out of the dictionary as a cool-sounding space-like name that he would be easily identified as a brand. He had no idea at the time that ESTES would become synonymous with model rockets.

Fred

My screen name evolved from the propensity of my rockets to end up in the city park lake and after swimming for rockets several times I no longer launch at this park. The ducks were starting to get used to me and besides I had a premonition of a lead article in the local newspaper:

"54 year old drowns retreiving toy rocket".

Originally posted by qMaxx
Well...most people here should be familiar with the term "MaxQ". . . . I noticed someone else already had that name, so I switched it around.

Well, whether by accident or on purpose, you got the "q" part correct. Capital "Q" is a variable that represents heat flow. Lower case "q" is the correct variable for dynamic pressure. No one (but engineers) ever gets that straight.

Powderburner is my small proclamation of my motor preference. I grew up on BP (that's all I could afford then) and love the simplicity. I have used a few composites, but hate the PITA igniters---I guess I never learned to use them right or something. BP motors just seem so much better, all the way around: price, reliability, simplicity, the right size impulse to fly from small fields.
(THAT ought to spark some feedback)

well... mine is also rather self evident, i'm a kid, am addicted to rockets, and was born in '88... my SN is the same, just to keep things easier;)

-micro... I think thats an atlas i see in that pic, any way we could get a better pic of that? i love the atlas, and john glenn has been like my 'hero' or whatever since b4 i can remeber.... mater o fact i hav an autographed photo of him that i got for christmass this year:D

EMRR = "Essence's Model Rocketry Reviews"

I guess that is pretty clear...

Nick

Originally posted by powderburner
Well, whether by accident or on purpose, you got the "q" part correct. Capital "Q" is a variable that represents heat flow. Lower case "q" is the correct variable for dynamic pressure. No one (but engineers) ever gets that straight.

Well, I'm not an engineer, nor do I play one on TV, but I DID know that it was lower case for the context we all use it for. I capped it in my original name (MaxxQ), because I liked the look of mixed caps and lower case.

Still trying to decide if I like it the way I use it here now, and wondering if I should drop an "x"...

"kenobi" should be obvious -- I'm a big Star Wars geek, and old Ben is one of my favorite characters. 65 is the year I was born.

Mine comes from the greatest space opera ever written: E.E. "Doc" Smith's Lensman saga. Star Wars, Star Trek, Babylon 5, Andromeda... they ALL owe a source-debt of gratitude to Doc Smith.

If you pick them up today, don't expect great writing, in-depth characterizations, or hard science. Do expect lantern-jawed heroes, incredible space battles, far-out aliens, and trans-dimensional warfare that spans the existence of time and space. !!!!

(Did I mention using the Sun as a ray gun? Or smashing planets together as a weapon? Telepathy? Elder races that control the fate of the universe?)

my screen name is borrowed from my pet iguana "Stymie"
who died from a brain tumor a few years ago...he was nearly 5' (including tail)and his rear claws were as large as my hand
and he was no doubt, a handfull!!!!

he got his name from the lil Rascal...

I needed a screen name for playing Doom Deathmatches, all those years ago, when I was at Uni. As I had a 'thing' for cheap millitery-grade cyder ('Special Red' - 8.4% alcahol, 1ltr for 98p; back in those days), the name CyderMaster came into being!!

I have a URL reserved, but I've been too booked up to do a web page well. Hoping to do it soon though.

Shinbone is the town in the John Wayne/Jimmy Stewart classic, "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance."
It's a tribute to the Duke.

I usually use alchemist as an onscreen name - but couldn't for some reason so....

Nicked my sons nickname (domble) and reversed it!

Hope he doesn't realise !

Hm.... Lets see.... How do I explain what mine means?:D

OK. This could take a long time....

ITS MY NAME!:D

This is my first real internet place that required a screename, so I thought I would just use my name...:D

my screen name is jojo because my real name is joe, yes yes i know im so creative

Back