What does your screen name mean?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine is the gamer name I used at LAN parties back in the early 2000s. Probably a bad choice as is sounds like I'm looking for a fight.
You know, I have a name on a combat flight simulation forum that has also changed with context. I'm so lousy at it that I took the name "Human Drone", as in target drone - very easy to shoot down. But then UAV's started getting very combat capable and now it looks like I think I'm a stealthy, lethal combat machine!

Let's see.... I've been techrat since the 1980's. There was a cartoon called "Jem and the Holograms", which had a doll line. But it was about a musical group and I liked the songs.

My wife's cousin played "Rebecca" in the Jem and the Holograms movie a few years ago. With any luck, you have avoided seeing the film. :)

My user name is an obscure reference to Harry Nilsson. On the cover of his Aerial Ballet album are a number of handwritten short notes. One reads "Everyone should own a little jade box."

i rescue and foster kitties,this time around (well, 11yrs ago) foster turned into daddy for the four sisters, Pickles is the champagne mink tonkinese.... born of a russin blue mother.... cat genetics are wacky

View attachment 559401
le blanc chat

View attachment 559402
some things never change

she is not my avatar kitteh, thats my oldest pinky
You're the one I've been wondering about, thanks for the explanation and pictures.

Dear glory I have the same shirts for my "crew!" And either my NASA meatball ball cap for myself or a horrible cheap "old man" ball cap, dark blue with large white letters "R & D" and mesh in the back. You know the kind that makes your head look 3 inches taller? My beloved HATES those! Which is the only reason I kept it... Or another souvenier from the old Westinghouse R&D center, later (W) Science & Technology Center - "STC- Serving The Customer" which I'm sure she'll also hate!

Now back to the thread, apologies to @hobie1dog

its a formula ive used for a while for online stuff.... Baron Von Chickenpants, Bongo McSizzlechest, Slappy McFlipperfeet, etc. It doesnt mean anything per se, but I have nicknames for the kiddos, like Booboo McSillypants or Pooky McGhee. Anyone who has had multiple animals, esp from the same litter knows how specific and wildly different their little personalities are, so i give them pet names, as it were, to match.

Some may remember the Boaty McBoatface debacle...... NEVER ask the public to name something, we are in the age of memes.

I found another picture of my chocolate Labrador Retriever named Hobie when he was only a year and a half or so old:
fFMHthm.jpg

Me before your post: "All capital letters ... looks like a password ... not even trying to read it"
With the sailboat picture: "Must be some Polynesian people word ... no time for dictionaries now"
Looking back at the avatar: "Well I'm a sucker for robots so let's try: "On a whim" What the ...?
Looking back at the boat: :facepalm:

I was actually that slow here. 🥴

Me before your post: "All capital letters ... looks like a password ... not even trying to read it"
With the sailboat picture: "Must be some Polynesian people word ... no time for dictionaries now"
Looking back at the avatar: "Well I'm a sucker for robots so let's try: "On a whim" What the ...?
Looking back at the boat: :facepalm:

I was actually that slow here. 🥴
I bought it on a whim...

Jabberwocky (the only poem that ever made sense to me)
Indeed. Also, Twas brillig, and the slithy toves did gyre and gimble in the wabe:, Is an extremely useful comeback to a nonsensical post.

Mine just means that my last name (and middle name) start with an L. I was influenced to use it by a blinding flash of light and loud booming voice. Not really (I had to say that just in case...).

Ricochet alert
I would have used an old screen name but the mid 80's were written on a SIMM and "I no longer have access to that information" (no I don't work for the government). I have upgraded to DOS 2.x in the past and may have written batch files that told the user their hard drive was being erased, complete with sequenced periods slowly increasing in number. 8086 and 8088 processors with a math coprocessor (8087), 10Mb hard drives and dual floppy's were the schiz... I remember upgrading from a 300 baud modem to a 9600 baud modem when we loaded Windows 2.0 on the blazing fast "286" that replaced our IBM PC's a year later. I "needed" the modem for work <cough> and I might have discovered a local BBS. I discovered debug and thought I was johnny hacker. I sent the debug output of a piece of engineering software to a wide carriage dot matrix printer one evening and went home. When I got in the next morning I had a pile of paper on the floor and the printer was still printing. The "information" I printed wasn't helpful. I may have been trying to circumvent the license key that activated the software but I seriously doubt it. Ok, I was and never did.

I wish I still had one of the old IBM PC's. All of the above was at work btw. There was no way I could have afforded such a "high level" computer system) myself.

Back on topic
The avatar (we called them pictures or photographs "back in the day") is of my old barn It's close to if not over 100 years old. Sadly it's not in the best shape. I took the photo with my 4x5 camera (film) about 10 years ago

Time to go... I have a rifle to finish the load development for and I'd like to get to the range early...

When I became a BAR, my boys were in scouting. screen name was my scout role and the troop number. Boys are now 26 and 28, I am newly retired and have time for rocketry once again.

I've been using this handle (or variations) since about 1990.

Back before Japanese anime and manga (comics) became mainstream in the US, and there were only a small handful of titles available in English, I took an interest. When my university added a Japanese class, I took it. By chance, the teacher's cousin back in Japan was a comic book writer and artist!

His work was not particularly well known in Japan, let alone the US, but I was able to get some of his books. I even met him on my first trip to Japan!

Anyway, Ryou Azami (Azami Ryou in Japanese name order) is the main character from his Deceiver books. He's a cool and collected con man who takes a nerdy out-of-his-depth sidekick under his wing. Of course they end up crossing paths with some really bad people and everything goes sideways...

Attachments

• 01010540110.jpg
    01010540110.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Network Time Protocol…

Ok I’m joking it’s actually Nuclear Thermal propulsion. And the 2 is because I lost my password to the first NTP before I could even post :headspinning: .

Back