What do you use to assemble areopac retainers?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScrapDaddy

Reaction score
I think some people use JB weld to assemble these but they never specify exactly what kind of jb weld. And does anyone use anything else besides this? Thanks alot in advanced :)

The only thing I have heard NOT to use is JB Quick (the fast setting stuff)

Yes, but JB-quick is still good to well over 300F, which is more than good enough. I've used both standard and quick-cure JB weld with no failures yet.

Yes, but JB-quick is still good to well over 300F, which is more than good enough. I've used both standard and quick-cure JB weld with no failures yet.
That's about twice as high as most other 5-minute epoxies.

Mark K.

You're already paying a premium price for aeropac retainers, so just follow the manufacturer's suggestion for the type of JB Weld.

Bob

I have my Honest John compleate except for motor retention I'm debating between a $4 madcow retainer or a $30 areopack retainer it is my first TRuE MPR rocket (I have some that have dangled betwen MpR and LPR because they used D21's and E9's) and I want it to look nice...erm Cost Vs asthetics

I have my Honest John compleate except for motor retention I'm debating between a $4 madcow retainer or a $30 areopack retainer it is my first TRuE MPR rocket (I have some that have dangled betwen MpR and LPR because they used D21's and E9's) and I want it to look nice...erm Cost Vs asthetics

I think the aeropack is worth every bit of the $30 dollars. I will never use anything else. I have installed one on every rocket I fly. I hope the come up with a 24mm.

There is no right or wrong answer for you. I would say stay within your budget. This is why they say it is an expensive hobby.....the cool stuff costs more!!

Hey if they come out with 24mm areopacks I'll hold out for the 18mm and the 6mm ones :D

I can see the 24mm coming out as CTI And AT both have reloads is this area but 6mm rtainers would be cool as I'm not really sure what to use for retention

I think the aeropack is worth every bit of the $30 dollars. I will never use anything else. I have installed one on every rocket I fly. I hope the come up with a 24mm.

There is no right or wrong answer for you. I would say stay within your budget. This is why they say it is an expensive hobby.....the cool stuff costs more!!

I hear you can make a cheap version of an Aeropac style retainer for 24mm with an old soda bottle. The neck of some bottles are just right to fit over a 24mm MMT. I am usually content with a hook for this size, but seeing the new CTI Pro24 coming out might change my mind. :D

I've noticed those Profect "protein shot" containers are exactly the right size for a AT 29mm casing, and they're threaded on the top too. It's some sort of extremely strong plastic and would probably work great if you sanded out the inside near the threads to accept the flange... But the screw on caps are soft plastic and I imagine they'd melt. Has anybody tried to use them? I was tempted but went for a kaplow clip on my most recent rocket... :)

Hey if they come out with 24mm areopacks I'll hold out for the 18mm and the 6mm ones :D
Machined aluminum retainers for minis and Micromaxx....sheesh. A $20 device to retain a $0.75 motor. Yeah, that makes sense.

Mark K.

$20 that's it? Well that sure will help my 6mm reload buisness I'm starting :D

Well, a bit of experience will often fix that problem.

Mark K.

And this is coming from the guy that supports 6mm Composite SU motors...... Right I am that much less experienced then you (except in CATO's :D)

And this is coming from the guy that supports 6mm Composite SU motors...... Right I am that much less experienced then you (except in CATO's :D)

Watch it man, dont start attacking people about experience. Read, read, read. I cant stress this enough.

6mm Su motors are fully easy and doable its the reloads that would be more of a pain.

Ben

I am far less experienced than Mark in all cases except for CATO's :D but if a 6mm reload suffered ignition problems then how would a SU motor put up with it? In a RMS you can insert the igniter in the building process, though I would love to see an igniter for one of these :)

Back