What do you use for painting your larger projects?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
An airbrush just won't do for a project that size. You'll need to go with a Spray gun.
Will also need an compressor and spray booth with fan to evacuate over spray.

Advantage is a wider selection of paints and can mix any color you want.
A detail spray gun and compressor will work great for that. Also outside backyard or anywhere outside is natures best spray booth….no need to complicate things. You always wear a spray mask anyway, but we should all be use to wearing masks by now.

I'm a big proponent of spray guns and airbrushes - mainly because you can get a wider variety of colors. But the initial outlay of cash may not make it worth it for some. If you already have a compressor that can produce around 4cfm, you've overcome the biggest hurdle. I use a little pancake compressor (craftsman, I think) that runs my spray guns fine, but it will not run all of them fine. For color coats, I have a Spray-It 33500 detail gun that works perfectly. I just finished WM's 2.6" Cherokee with 40 ml of paint to coat the whole thing, so you really don't use a lot of paint. I also have a Summit Racing 1.4mm spray gun for topcoating that does equally well. For small rockets, I have a Badger 250 mini spray gun that may not paint as well as the Spray-It, but does well enough especially in light coats. For paints, I use Createx line almost exclusively (Wicked and Candy2o primarily), and they have some great tutorials on youtube to learn the ins and outs. I do still use rattlecan primer though.

I will agree on the color variety. That is one thing that I miss with OTC rattle cans. I can get custom mix 2-stage rattle cans at my local Terrace Supply.....but its a bit spendy. Though, you get what you pay for. Nice part.....you can get a proper catalyst cure 2-stage from a spray can for under $100 for a medium sized rocket. That includes a 1K filler primer and a 2K clear.

My L1 is a king kraken, since extended and configured for dual deploy. It’s still my largest project. I painted it with duplicolor mirage (with some testors hobby paint for highlights)

I'm getting ready to paint my first really big rocket (Apogee Katana, 4" x 6') and after putting on a primer coat, I quickly discovered that I'll go through a lot of shaker cans to paint. I actually already have a spray gun and compressor, but I need to pick up a moisture trap/air dryer and pressure regulator before I can paint the rocket.

Where do you all get your paint? I just need a white paint for the Katana body, and an orange for the nose cone. I also have a LOC 7.5" Doorknob that is next on my build plan, so investing in the equipment and paint isn't too big of a deal.

What would you all recommend that is forgiving and is easy to start with (mixing, etc).

I'm getting ready to paint my first really big rocket (Apogee Katana, 4" x 6') and after putting on a primer coat, I quickly discovered that I'll go through a lot of shaker cans to paint. I actually already have a spray gun and compressor, but I need to pick up a moisture trap/air dryer and pressure regulator before I can paint the rocket.

Where do you all get your paint? I just need a white paint for the Katana body, and an orange for the nose cone. I also have a LOC 7.5" Doorknob that is next on my build plan, so investing in the equipment and paint isn't too big of a deal.

What would you all recommend that is forgiving and is easy to start with (mixing, etc).
You can't beat buying the Duplicolor "Paint Shop" Lacquer that is sold in quarts, pre-thinned, ready to pour in your strainer, around $35.00 a quart, comes in 10 or so really great colors. Lacquer has a 20 minute drying time, easily recoated. Autozone and Advance usually carry it.
https://www.duplicolor.com/product/paint-shop-automotive-lacquer-finish-system/

tmorgenthaler, have you looked at these on Amazon?

TCP Global Mini in-Line Air Filter, Oil and Water Separator - Drain Valve, Water Trap, Air Dryer, Removes Moisture, Dirt​

12 bucks and it does the job quite well. I paint in Florida, so you know the moisture we deal with, it's horrible.

Attachments

• Filter.jpg
    Filter.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 0
tmorgenthaler, have you looked at these on Amazon?

TCP Global Mini in-Line Air Filter, Oil and Water Separator - Drain Valve, Water Trap, Air Dryer, Removes Moisture, Dirt​

12 bucks and it does the job quite well. I paint in Florida, so you know the moisture we deal with, it's horrible.

I hadn't, but I'm probably going to go with something a bit more heavy duty. The wife want's to paint the kitchen cabinets on our island this summer, so I'll want something that works well for that. I'd rather invest the money and practice painting on my rockets before I paint the cabinet doors!

Again, I'd recommend Createx paints. You can find their videos on YouTube for tips on mixing and spraying. For about $20-30, you can get all your basics and then add whatever color on top of that for $5-6 for a 2oz bottle. You can usually find everything you need at Hobby Lobby. But if you are looking for larger bottles or a different color, I'd recommend spraygunner.com

So far, I have only used the rattle cans for my paint jobs, but have become very frustrated with the Rusto x2 line (as a whole)...I could paint a piece, wait a week, attempt a second coat and it would wrinkle all over the place...I contacted Rusto about it, but they wanted to know how many fillings I had, among other things, making the process of bringing it to their attention a major pain in the butt...
I saw a video online of someone painting their rocket using Duplicolor (FlyFalcon IIRC), found it was available at my local Canadian Tire in all kinds of colors, so I figured I would give them a try...Yes, they are more expensive than Rusto from Home Depot, but I haven't had a wrinkle issue on any of my Duplicolor paint jobs since...Including this one on my PML Miranda kit...

Attachments

• IMG_1593.jpg
    IMG_1593.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 0
Don't need expensive guns or paint. I have a 26 gal air compressor from Tractor Supply. I use the cheapest guns I can find, They had a 3 pack on sale for 20$. I use Nason 3 part acrylic enamel metallics from NAPA. I paint outside in any weather except rain. It's not a car it's just a rocket. I am very happy with my results. I will use 1$ a can primer from walmart.
I agree. Unless you are building a large rocket, or fleet, a good size compressor/+ 10 gal. tank & good air brush/spayer and acrylics paints do fine for rockets.A couple of coats of Pledge to seal the final finish are a great combo !

I agree. Unless you are building a large rocket, or fleet, a good size compressor/+ 10 gal. tank & good air brush/spayer and acrylics paints do fine for rockets.A couple of coats of Pledge to seal the final finish are a great combo !
Where can I get paints for guns like that? I’m assuming NAPA would sell that as well?

William

I have a friend who owns a panel shop so I have been lucky enough for him to have a couple of rockets painted there. A good exercise for the apprentices. I try to give him the option of what color when I can, so he can use his overs on the job.
Half-scale Nike Smoke:
InTheOven.jpg

I did the yellow and red fins with Duplicolor rattle cans.

Where can I get paints for guns like that? I’m assuming NAPA would sell that as well?

William
In my area,most hobby shops sell,Createx, Testors and Tamiya paints...all good; I have best luck with adhesion & coverage with the Tamiya brand .And great thru an air brush,thinned, for a smooth finish.If too fkat for your taste,Pledge as a clear coat & durable final finish.

William
In my area,most hobby shops sell,Createx, Testors and Tamiya paints...all good; I have best luck with adhesion & coverage with the Tamiya brand .And great thru an air brush,thinned, for a smooth finish.If too fkat for your taste,Pledge as a clear coat & durable final finish
In my area,most hobby shops sell,Createx, Testors and Tamiya paints...all good; I have best luck with adhesion & coverage with the Tamiya brand .And great thru an air brush,thinned, for a smooth finish.If too fkat for your taste,Pledge as a clear coat & durable final finish.
Just bear in mind that thinning ratios for various paint brands is different based on your particular spay equipment.

2nd post about Krylon in a row, I'm going to suspiciously start looking like I'm sponsored by them. I'm not!

So this is maybe the best 10$ I spent in a while: https://www.krylon.com/products/snap-spray/

It fits on a spray can, and gives a much better control than with your first finger. Plus your finger muscles don't get tired over big long rockets.

The next best thing to a spray gun? can't tell, never used one. Big improvement over plain spray can? Definitely yes.

Oh, and it fits on most spray paint can I have, like the ones I buy from Canadian Tire: not just Krylon.

EDIT: I see the bad reviews in the link above. It's true the gun takes a bit of brute force to snap on, but it feels solid, and for the price I don't fear breaking it. For me, it only improved my paint jobs in all aspects.

Also recommend Createx paints.
I'm going to chime in, as well, for Createx.

Had someone tell me one time that Createx, because it's water-based, wasn't any good for use in the humid Georgia climate. So, the other day, I talked to my sister, who used to work for GM as an Industrial Engineer in their paint department, as well as working for Sikkens, a Dutch paint company owned by Akzo-Nobel. She said that water-based paints are thermo-setting, so they do just fine in humid weather. Just don't paint in the rain and you're okay. :angiefavorite:

A friend turned me onto Interlux boat paint a few years ago which I've used exclusively since. It sprays great. I hate shooting 2 part paint though, so the last couple years I've been brushing it on with a foam brush. Results aren't quite as nice as spraying, and takes more elbow grease sanding the primer, but the results are still very good.
Usually one of the boat stores is having a sale so I buy wherever is cheapest.

I use rattle cans and know little about mixing for a sprayer. What is a reducer and how is it different than thinner?
I'm sure there is some chemistry explanation for the different terms, but in practice, they are the same. For Createx, they are all reducers which thin the paint for use in your particular system. For airbrushes, you'll normally thin more than a spray gun just based on tip size (.5mm vs 1.4mm).

I bought a Wagner paint sprayer a few months ago and used it to paint some cabinets I built. It worked pretty well, so I think I'll try to use it on my next large rocket build. I'm no expert, but it seems to be similar to a spray gun and a compressor--but it's all in one convenient unit.

Screen Shot 2022-08-15 at 2.56.02 PM.png

Back