What do we like to learn about/read?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tron2214

Reaction score
I know all of us here are intellectually curious people! So what have you recently read or started trying to learn about? Someone recently got me looking into articles about the effects of light pollution on wildlife! Wild stuff you don't even think about

I recently visited Konigsberg through this video:

It was part of Germany until WW2 after which the USSR turned it into Kaliningrad and a military hub.

But Konigsberg is also famous to mathematicians because of its bridges.

I got burned out on reading several years ago, but now do all my education on YouTube.My favorite documentary which did more to educate me than all my schooling, in 3 parts.

I'm interested in all things military. I like to learn about new firearms and space exploration. I'm also very interested in the recent wave of UFO/UAP sightings. At this time the UFO/UAP sightings are my number one interest.
Have you ever read John Keel's Operation Trojan Horse?

I just read the Wikipedia page. Odd. But what has that got to do with my post.
You stated that you were interested in UFO/UAP sightings and Keel's book is a different theory about what those might be.

Generally interested in all things history, with particular interest in ancient history, the 19th-20th centuries, and of course the history of space flight.

Also space flight in general, rocket engineering (rocket science is a misnomer), and orbital mechanics.

Currently learning music theory.

History is my usual reading material, but I'm currently reading a lot of geology books to try and understand the rather complex local topography.

Ookaayy...I read about 3-5 books a week, less during rocket season. Short answer: everything.
This week: History of the Vikings ( I have vested interest)
Robert Shackelton's "North"
Autobiography of Steve Martin
Currently in the middle of rereading " Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintainence "
Next up: Alexander 's " Gulag Archepelago " vols 1 and 2
s/b required reading given Ukraine's current troubles. His other less known stories give insight to the inherent paranoia of Russian society. Sad.
History of the Knights Templar.
David Brin's Earth, another reread.
A 30 mb download of the Japanese copy of the Toyota Camry shop manual, in English.
One minute Manager, for the bazzionth time before I pass it on to the guy I just promoted. Seems more a comic book guy to me, but it's small and thin. I might have a fighting chance. I really want to retire this century.

I’ve been in a project to read at least two biographies on every American President. A minimum of two because all biographies have bias and I want the diversity of views. One thing that I’ve learned is that strong and some might say overly passionate divisions in politics is the norm, not the exception.

You stated that you were interested in UFO/UAP sightings and Keel's book is a different theory about what those might be.
I must have read the wrong page. The one I read had to do with schools in the UK.
edit; I just read the right page. Now I see. Boy, was I confused. The one about the UK schools was disturbing. I read God drives a Flying Saucer waaaaay back.

Last edited:
Ookaayy...I read about 3-5 books a week, less during rocket season. Short answer: everything.
This week: History of the Vikings ( I have vested interest)
Robert Shackelton's "North"
Autobiography of Steve Martin
Currently in the middle of rereading " Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintainence "
Next up: Alexander 's " Gulag Archepelago " vols 1 and 2
s/b required reading given Ukraine's current troubles. His other less known stories give insight to the inherent paranoia of Russian society. Sad.
History of the Knights Templar.
David Brin's Earth, another reread.
A 30 mb download of the Japanese copy of the Toyota Camry shop manual, in English.
One minute Manager, for the bazzionth time before I pass it on to the guy I just promoted. Seems more a comic book guy to me, but it's small and thin. I might have a fighting chance. I really want to retire this century.
My kind of person. :clapping:

I use to live next door to a library. My favorite is still big coffee table style picture books of the Universe showing the overwhelming photos of the endless galaxies.

getting into fly tying and fly fishing, so reading a bit on that. generally, i read a lot of science fiction and non-fiction, but haven't cracked one in a little bit.

getting into fly tying and fly fishing, so reading a bit on that. generally, i read a lot of science fiction and non-fiction, but haven't cracked one in a little bit.
if you can find this book, get it! it is one of my prized and frequently referenced books on the subject!

The Orvis books area also a good references..

https://www.amazon.ca/Fishing-Flies-World-Encyclopedia-Every/dp/1770851321
https://www.thriftbooks.com/w/fishi...3RoCcaUQAvD_BwE#idiq=51928581&edition=7043989

uh oh. Haven't tied a fly in ages. Now I have a problem. Really? A WORLD guide? Now I gotta get me one. Thx, Doc!

I got back out the HPR 2 by Mark Canepa. I started it back in 2012 and still are only 50% of the way through it. I got so burned out on reading, now it's a real struggle to even open a book.

Latest posts

Back