What do the launchables usually cost?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pat_B

Reaction score
Our Walmart has some launchable kits in the clearance isle and most cost $4.50. I can't remember their typical cost and they don't come up on a search (just the entire kit w/pad/controller) on the Walmart site.

If that's a really low price then I'd probably pick them up for our club stash. They make nice giveaways to new members and kids.

Sounds low to me. I remember paying around 8 bucks for Launchables.

Yeah, I think $8.88 was a fairly typical price for the Launchable kits in the cardboard-backed sort of triangular clear blister pack. I have a SpaceshipOne and a few other Launchables kits that I got a few years ago.

Pretty sure the original price was $8.88 - not sure why the odd pricing but then again, that is Wallyworld! ;)

I think I remember the same launchables being sold for $9.99 at Toys R Us as well.

Looks like these may be about 40% off then. I've always thought that the sturdy cardboard box had to add to the cost.

Wait a sec - what "launchables" are you referring to? The $8.88 Launchables line that I am thinking of were packed in an oddly shaped plastic "clamshell" and included kits such as the Baby Bertha, smaller version of the Spaceship One, Bullpup and several others. If there were any packed in cardboard boxes, I am not aware of them.

Then there are the current line of "Sustainables" that are in the cardboard boxes. There are only four models in that line including the Taser Twin, Crossbow SST and a couple others. Those retailed for $5.99 to $9.99 (each kit was a different price).

There may also have been some "Launchables" starter sets in cardboard boxes that included launch pad and controller in addition to one or two rockets - these starter sets were at least $19. (I could be mistaken about the latter being in the Launchables line, however, so don't hold me to that.)

This is all based on my (admittedly) faulty memory, so I could easily be mistaken. If so, apologies in advance! ;)

Oops, my mistake- I meant Sustainables. "Launchables", "Sustainables", "Irritable bowe...." all the same :eek:

The sustainables were/are in the rectanular boxes and each model was a different price starting at 5.97 (I think). I know someone here can rattle off the four price points.

Ok - gotcha.

As I said before, each of the Sustainables was set at a different price - the prices were $5.99, $6.99, $7.99 and $9.99. I don't remember which model cost what off hand. So $4.50 is Ok for the $5.99 model and Great for the $9.99 model. I'd say it was still a pretty good deal - if nothing else you get some nice parts that you can do some custom builds with. (The model with the clear payload section and the transition from BT-20 to BT-50 can be turned into a clone of the Estes X-Ray really easily - the whole payload section is really close. Don't remember if the BT-20 is the right length and the only other thing you need are four fins.

There were some really good kits sold as launchables--I couldn't pass up another FAT Boy, even though I already built two...

Oops, my mistake- I meant Sustainables. "Launchables", "Sustainables", "Irritable bowe...." all the same :eek:

Launch sets sometimes have that name splattered across their box:

https://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/est/est1452.htm

EST1452-GAL1.jpg

I picked up the Ricochet for $5 and the Crossbow for $3.50 today at WM. I already had them but I couldn't pass up a discounted rocket kit(which I think was roughly half price).

I ended up getting the Crossbox also for $3.50. Not bad at all.

Back